Nowadays, Google Chrome is the most popular web browser. Yet, you may face some errors when you try to connect to any site. ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE Chrome is one of the most frustrating errors when your web page does not respond to your request. You will not receive any data or results for your search criteria. This error is pervasive in Chrome, and it can show up on any website. This occurs on your website when you have any internet issues and glitches in the browser. If you are also facing the same issue, then this guide on how to fix ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE in Google Chrome will help you. So, continue reading.
Table of Contents
How to Fix ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE in Google Chrome
Before you jump onto the troubleshooting methods to fix this error, please analyze what ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE Chrome is. This error occurs in the Google Chrome browser, indicating a bad network connection. Many users have reported that this error often occurs due to a glitch in the browser. Some root causes of ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE error in Chrome are listed below:
- Expired domain
- Too many browser caches
- Temporary files
- Faulty extensions
- Corrupt browsing data
- Bad internet connection
- Incompatible network drivers
- Outdated Chrome
- Outdated Windows version
- Malfunctioning of DNS server
Follow these basic preliminary checks before going to the troubleshooting methods.
- Access Other Websites: If you cannot access any particular site in Chrome, there may be other reasons, like typo errors, server down for maintenance, or firewall restrictions. So, as a primary check, navigate to a new tab and search for other websites or web pages.
- Connect to Proper Network: This is the most apparent reason behind ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE. When internet connectivity speed is low or unstable, the connection interrupts more frequently. You can test your internet speed by running a speed test. Then, you can buy a new faster internet package from your network provider if your network speed is not optimum.
- Replace Faulty Cables: Try checking for any faulty cables. Change the cable if any part of it is broken or damaged.
We provide a set of effective troubleshooting methods that will help you fix ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE error. Ensure you follow the methods in the same order to discover more effortless & permanent solutions.
Method 1: Restart Google Chrome
Restarting Google Chrome will solve all the temporary glitches in your browser, and thus it will be a simple fix for this error. Restarting Google Chrome can be accomplished by closing all the tabs one by one in the browser and launching it again after a while. The other method is restarting it via Task Manager as instructed below.
1. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys together to launch Task Manager.
2. Now, search and select the Google Chrome tasks running in the background.
3. Then, select End Task as depicted in the above picture or right-click on the task and click on End task.
3. Reboot the system
4. Finally, relaunch Google Chrome and check if you face the error again.
Method 2: Delete Temporary Files of the System
When your system has any corrupt Chrome files or registry files, you will encounter an ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE Chrome error. You can sort out this error by clearing the temporary files in your system. Then, follow the instructions to implement the same and fix err empty response issue.
1. Press the Windows key, type %temp%, and click on Open.
2. Here, select all files and folders by pressing Ctrl + A keys together and then right-click on the selected files.
3. Select the Delete option to remove all the temporary files.
4. Finally, go to Desktop and right-click on Recycle Bin. Select Empty Recycle Bin option to permanently delete the data from your Windows PC.
Method 3: Use New Incognito Window
1A. Go to Google Chrome and click on the three-dotted icon. Here, select the New Incognito window option as shown.
1B. Alternatively, you can also press Ctrl + Shift + N keys together to launch the New Incognito window.
Method 4: Clear Chrome Cache Files
Formatting issues and loading problems can be sorted out by clearing the cache and cookies in your browser. But when days pass on, the cache and cookies bulge in size and burn your disk space. You can try clearing them to fix ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE Chrome by implementing the following steps.
1. Press the Windows key, type chrome, and click on Open.
2. Then, click on the three-dotted icon > More tools > Clear browsing data… as illustrated below.
3. Check the following options.
- Cookies and other site data
- Cached images and files
4. Now, choose the All time option for Time range.
5. Finally, click on Clear data.
Also Read: Fix NET::ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED in Chrome
Method 5: Clear Chrome DNS Cache
Clearing Google Chrome Host Cache would help you to fix err empty response. Follow the below steps.
1. Open your Google Chrome browser.
2. Now, type chrome://net-internals/#dns in the search bar and press Enter key.
3. Click Clear host cache.
4. Now, select Sockets and then click Flush socket pools.
5. Relaunch the browser and check if you have resolved the issue.
Method 6: Disable Extensions
When you have too many tabs in your system, the browser & computer speed will be very slow. In this case, your system will not operate normally, leading to an ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE Chrome error. Now, you can close all the unnecessary tabs and restart the browser. If you have closed all the tabs and still face the issue, try to disable all the extensions. Follow the below-mentioned instructions.
1. Launch Chrome and type chrome://extensions in URL Bar. Hit Enter key to get the list of all installed extensions.
2. Switch Off the toggle for the extension (e.g. Grammarly for Chrome) to disable it.
3. Refresh your browser and see if the error is shown again or not.
4. Repeat the above steps to disable the extensions one by one to check if the error is fixed or not.
Also Read: How to Go Full-Screen in Google Chrome
Method 7: Update or Rollback Network Drivers
If your system started to malfunction after an update, rolling back the network drivers might help to fix err empty response issue. The rollback of the driver will delete the current driver installed in the system and replace it with its previous version. This will eliminate any bugs or issues in the drivers and fix ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE Chrome issue.
Option 1: Update Driver
1. Type Device Manager in the Windows 10 search menu.
2. Double-click on Network adapters to expand it.
3. Right-click on your wireless network driver (e.g. Qualcomm Atheros QCA9377 Wireless Network Adapter) and select Update driver, as depicted below.
4. Next, click on Search automatically for drivers to automatically download and install the best available driver.
5A. Now, the drivers will update and install to the latest version, if they are not updated.
5B. If they are already in an updated stage, the message saying The best drivers for your device are already installed will be shown.
6. Click on the Close button to exit the window and restart your PC.
Option 2: Roll Back Driver Updates
1. Go to Device Manager > Network adapters as earlier.
2. Right-click on the Wi-Fi driver (e.g. Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168) and select Properties, as depicted.
3. Switch to the Driver tab and select Roll Back Driver, as highlighted.
Note: If the option to Roll Back Driver is greyed out, it indicates that your computer does not have the pre-installed driver files or it has never been updated.
4. Provide your reason for Why are you rolling back? in Driver Package rollback. Then, click on Yes, as illustrated below.
5. Then, click on OK to apply this change. Finally, restart your PC.
Method 8: Disable Windows Defender Firewall (Not Recommended)
Windows Firewall performs like a filter in your system. It scans the information on the website coming to your system and potentially blocks the harmful details from being entered into it. Some users reported that ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE Chrome disappeared when Windows Defender Firewall was turned OFF. Follow these steps to disable it and fix err empty response issue.
Note: Remember that your system will be vulnerable to malware or virus attacks after disabling the Firewall. Hence, if you choose to do so, make sure to enable it soon after you are done fixing the issue.
1. Launch Control Panel as instructed above and select System and Security.
2. Now, click on Windows Defender Firewall, as shown here.
3. Select the Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off option from the left menu. Refer to pic below.
4. Now, check the boxes next to the Turn off Windows Defender Firewall (not recommended) option wherever available on this screen. Refer given picture.
5. Reboot your system. Check if ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE is fixed now.
Also Read: Fix Multiple Google Chrome Processes Running
Method 9: Remove Harmful Software from Chrome
Few incompatible programs in your device will trigger ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE, and this can be fixed if you remove them completely from your system. Follow the below steps to fix err empty response issue by removing harmful software.
1. Launch Google Chrome and click on three-dotted icon > Settings as shown highlighted.
2. Here, click on the Advanced setting in the left pane and select Reset and clean up option.
3. Now, select the Cleanup computer option as depicted below.
4. Here, click on the Find button to enable Chrome to find harmful software on your computer.
5. Wait for the process to be completed and remove the harmful programs detected by Google Chrome.
6. Reboot your PC and check if the issue is resolved.
Method 10: Update Google Chrome
If you have an outdated browser, the improved features of web pages or websites will not be supported. Update the Chrome browser to fix err empty response issue. Here is how to do it.
1. Launch Google Chrome.
2. Click on the three-dotted icon to expand the Settings menu.
3. Then, select Help > About Google Chrome as illustrated below.
4. Allow Google Chrome to search for updates. The screen will display Checking for updates message, as shown.
5A. If updates are available, click on the Update button.
5B. If Chrome is already updated then, Google Chrome is up to date message will be displayed.
Also Read: Fix Chrome not Connecting to the Internet
Method 11: Uninstall Recent Updates
If you face the said problem after updating Windows OS, your internet surfing experience might be incompatible with the new update and, in this case, uninstall recent updates on your PC. You will also get the stability of your PC after uninstalling a faulty update. Here is how to do it to fix err empty response issue.
1. Hit the Windows key, type Control Panel, and click on Open.
2. Set the View by as Large icons and click on Programs and Features to continue.
3. Now, click on View installed updates in the left pane as shown here.
4. Now, select the most recent update and click on the Uninstall option below.
5. Then, confirm the prompt, if any, and reboot your PC.
Check if you have fixed the problem.
Method 12: Reset Chrome
Resetting Chrome will restore the browser to its default settings, and there are more possibilities that you can fix the discussed error. Follow the below-mentioned steps to reset Google Chrome and check if you are able to fix err empty response issue.
1. Open Google Chrome and go to chrome://settings/reset
2. Click on the Restore settings to their original defaults option, shown highlighted.
3. Now, confirm your action by clicking on the Reset Settings button.
Now, relaunch the website and check if you fix err empty response issue.
Also Read: Fix ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT Chrome error
Method 13: Reinstall Google Chrome
If none of those mentioned above methods have helped you, you can try reinstalling Google Chrome. Doing this will fix all the relevant issues with the search engine, updates, or other related problems triggering ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE Chrome issue.
Note: Back up all favorites, saved passwords, bookmarks and sync your Google account with your Gmail. Uninstalling Google Chrome will delete all the saved files.
1. Hit the Windows key, type apps and features, and click on Open.
2. Search for Chrome in Search this list field.
3. Then, select Chrome and click on the Uninstall button shown highlighted.
4. Again, click on Uninstall to confirm.
5. Now, press the Windows key, type %localappdata%, and click on Open to go to AppData Local folder.
6. Open the Google folder by double-clicking on it.
7. Right-click on the Chrome folder and select the Delete option as depicted below.
8. Again, hit the Windows key, type %appdata%, and click on Open to go to AppData Roaming folder.
9. Again, go to the Google folder and delete the Chrome folder as shown in steps 6 – 7.
10. Finally, restart your PC.
11. Next, download the latest version of Google Chrome as shown.
12. Run the setup file and follow the on-screen instructions to install Chrome.
Also Read: Fix Google Chrome error He’s Dead, Jim!
Method 14: Perform System Restore
You could often face ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE Chrome error after a Windows update. If you encounter this issue, you could restore the system to its previous version. Follow these steps to perform err empty response fix by restoring your PC.
Note: It is recommended to Boot Windows 10 PC into Safe Mode before proceeding with System Restore.
1. Hit the Windows key, type Command Prompt and click on Run as administrator.
2. Type rstrui.exe command and press the Enter key.
3. Now, click on Next in the System Restore window, as shown.
4. Finally, confirm the restore point by clicking on the Finish button.
Now, the system will be restored to its previous state, and now check if the issue is resolved.
- How to Open GZ File in Windows 10
- Fix ERR_CONNECTION_RESET on Chrome
- Fix Windows 10 Netwtw04.sys Blue Screen Error
- Where are Microsoft Teams Recordings Stored?
We hope that this guide was helpful and you could perform ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE fix. Let us know which method worked for you the best. Also, if you have any queries/suggestions regarding this article, then feel free to drop them in the comments section.