Roku TV is a smart TV that is simple to use and affordable. Roku TV streams movies, TV shows, and other digital content from a number of free and popular subscription channels. Roku TV comes with built-in software that does not need a plug-in or stick. To stream Roku TV, there are no switching inputs. All the streaming on Roku TV is possible over the internet. If you are someone who already owns a Roku TV and are struggling with its in-built apps, then we have a perfect guide for you. In our today’s doc, we will be discussing apps not working on Roku TV and the reasons behind it. Not only one but we will uncover multiple ways that can help you fix Roku TV apps not working issue. So, if you are facing issues with Roku TV YouTube not working or Roku TV Netflix not working and want to binge-watch your favorite app without any interference, then let us get started with our doc right away.
- How to Fix Apps Not Working on Roku TV
- Common Issues with Roku Apps
- Why are Apps Not working on Roku TV?
- Method 1: Restart Roku Device
- Method 2: Update Channels
- Method 3: Update Roku Device
- Method 4: Reinstall Apps
- Method 5: Reset Network Connection
- Method 6: Contact Channel Developer
- Method 7: Reset Roku to Factory Settings
- Method 8: Contact Roku Support
How to Fix Apps Not Working on Roku TV
Here, we have shown the troubleshooting methods to solve apps not working on Roku TV issue in detail.
Common Issues with Roku Apps
Let us look at some of the common issues that have been encountered while using Roku apps below:
- One of the common issues that have been noted with the Roku app is its automatic shutdown. It also involves automatic sign-out. This issue is usually resolved by restarting the Roku device.
- Another issue with the apps that are encountered regularly is the freezing of apps. This involves the app freezing midway through streaming a show. This freezing can occur due to bugs, incorrect settings, or even due to a pending update.
- Another thing that is mostly seen is the dysconnectivity of the app from TV. To look into this issue, you must check the internet connection and see if it is working properly or not.
Why are Apps Not working on Roku TV?
Before knowing about the possible fixes, it is important to know the reasons that affect the app’s working on Roku. So, let us look at some of the possible reasons that have been found to be real culprits:
- The channel or app needs an update.
- Issues while downloading an app.
- The issue can also arise if the channel developer is currently fixing an issue.
- Lost connectivity can be another reason behind apps not working.
- The last reason can be if the channel or app no longer receives support for Roku.
Now that you know of the possible reasons and problems that are encountered with Roku apps, it is time to fix these issues with the help of below-mentioned methods:
Method 1: Restart Roku Device
The first method that needs to be attempted involves restarting the Roku device in order to fix Roku TV YouTube not working. Restarting Roku is a simple yet very effective method. This method is known to resolve some basic issues with Roku devices, and fix bugs and possible errors. You can try restarting your Roku device using the steps given below:
1. Launch the Home menu on your Roku device using the Home button on the Roku remote.
2. Then, Launch the Settings option from the menu.
3. After that, open System to select System update.
4. In it, select System Restart.
5. Finally, select Restart to fix minor issues with the device.
Also Read: Fix Roku Keeps Restarting Issue
Method 2: Update Channels
It is possible that restarting your Roku device will not reap any good results. If so, you must check if there are any pending updates for the channel. In case there is, you must install that update right away using the steps below:
1. Navigate to the Home menu and select the app/channel that is not working.
2. Now, press the star button on your Roku remote.
3. Finally, select the Check for updates option.
Method 3: Update Roku Device
The next possible solution that can help you fix Roku TV Netflix not working is to update your Roku device. If your device is working with an outdated operating system, it may cause your favorite channel to either freeze or stop working. So, you must regularly check for possible updates using the steps below:
1. Launch the Home menu of your Roku device using the Home button on the remote.
2. Now, launch Settings on your device.
3. In it, select System and then choose System update.
4. Then, select the Check now option.
If an update is available, wait for it to be downloaded and then restart your device.
Also Read: Fix Roku Error Code 018
Method 4: Reinstall Apps
If none of the options have worked for you till now in case of apps not working on Roku TV, then you can try removing and then reinstalling problematic apps. It is one of the most effective solutions to tackle this problem.
1. To do so, first, remove the app by navigating to the Home screen and launching the problematic app.
2. Then, press the OK button present on your Roku remote.
3. Next, press the star button on your remote.
4. Then, select the Remove option.
5. After that, confirm by selecting OK and then restart your device.
6. Then, to reinstall the app again, go to the Apps section on the Home menu.
7. Now, select Streaming channels and press the OK button.
8. After that, select Search Channels and search for the app you want to install.
9. Then, select Add Channel to install the app.
10. Finally, select Go to channel to launch it.
Also Read: Android TV vs Roku TV: Which is Better?
Method 5: Reset Network Connection
The next method that can help you with the issue of Roku TV apps not working is resetting the network connection. It is possible that due to weak internet connectivity or no network, you are facing trouble in launching your Roku apps. If so, you must reset this network connection using the steps below:
1. Launch Settings of your Roku device.
2. Then, select Network in it.
3. Now, select the Check connection option.
If the connection is strong, you can disconnect your device and connect it again to your network.
Method 6: Contact Channel Developer
If nothing seems to be working for you, you must check with the channel developer. You can go to the channel provider’s website to check that the developer still supports the channel for Roku. This helps to cancel out any technical issues.
Method 7: Reset Roku to Factory Settings
One of the last options that you can try to fix apps not working on Roku TV is to reset Roku to factory settings. Resetting Roku will improve its performance and minor issues that are stopping the apps from working. To try this method, you can check our guide on How to Hard and Soft Reset Roku.
Method 8: Contact Roku Support
If even resetting Roku did not work out for you then the last resort left for you is to contact Roku support. You can provide all the details to Roku Support involving your TV model, Roku OS version, and issues that you have been facing with the channel/app.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Why won’t Roku launch certain channels?
Ans. If you are unable to launch certain channels on Roku then it can be due to severed ties of Roku with the channel provider. You can also check the channel developer’s site and review the list of supported models if you have an aging Roku device to make sure it is compatible with the channel.
Q2. How can I open private channels on Roku?
Ans. You can open a private channel on Roku if you know its access code. Then, after logging into your account, you can add a channel with the code from the Manage account option. You also need to make sure that your Roku device is updated.
Q3. What can I do if Roku Store stops working?
Ans. In case Roku Store is not working for your device, you can try restarting your device, updating the firmware of the device, or try connecting to a powerful network.
Q4. What to do if Roku apps are not playing sound?
Ans. You can try checking the mute and volume settings of your TV. You can also ensure that the audio connectors are attached at both ends.
Q5. How can I install channels on Roku that are not in the Roku Store?
Ans. If there are certain channels that are not in the Roku Store, it may be due to the unapproved service. If so, you can try installing non-certified channels on your Roku device. However, this method is not recommended by Roku.
- 26 Best Free TeamViewer Alternatives
- Fix Discord Installation Error on Windows 10
- How to Watch Local Channels on Roku
- Fix Roku Low Power Error
We hope that our doc on apps not working on Roku TV was successful in guiding you well on different issues that the apps can face, the reasons behind these issues, and different ways to fix them. If so, please let us know by leaving your comments below. You can also submit your queries and suggestions in the comments section below.