Having something, as a trusted aid is always beneficial. Have you heard people calling, hey Alexa, to do any work? One of the devices that houses the Alexa Virtual Assistant or voice support is the Amazon Echo device. What if you cannot control the device as the issue of Amazon Echo not turning on occurs? In this case, you might not be able to use any other device if you have synced the voice support to other Echo enabled devices. If you are searching for answers to fix the issue, you have arrived at the right spot. Read the article till the end to learn the method of troubleshooting Alexa Echo device.
- How to Fix Amazon Echo Not Turning On
- Method 1: Basic Troubleshooting Methods
- Method 2: Power Cycle Amazon Echo Device
- Method 3: Turn On Microphone
- Method 4: Register Amazon Echo to Alexa App
- Method 5: Use 5GHz Bandwidth Network
- Method 6: Modify Echo Wake Up Word
- Method 7: Update Alexa Firmware
- Method 8: Re-add Device
- Method 9: Reinstall Alexa App
- Method 10: Reset Amazon Echo Device
- Method 11: Replace Hardware Components
- Method 12: Contact Alexa Support Team
How to Fix Amazon Echo Not Turning On
The probable reasons why the Amazon Echo device may not turn on are listed in this section.
- Hardware Issues- The cables may not be attached properly or may be plugged incorrectly into the port. In other cases, the components such as the power cord, power and speaker board, or motherboard might be damaged due to wear and tear.
- Issue with Internet Connection- The Wi-Fi password entered might be incorrect or the Wi-Fi source might be placed in a remote space.
- Physical Interference- The obstructions and other physical impediments in the range such as Furniture may cause a signal disturbance.
- Outdated Firmware- The firmware of the device might be outdated and the issue might occur.
Note: Since smartphones don’t have the same Settings options, and they vary from manufacturer to manufacturer hence, ensure the correct settings before changing any. The said steps were performed on the Samsung Galaxy A21s phone.
Here are the methods for troubleshooting Alexa Echo device.
Method 1: Basic Troubleshooting Methods
The first approach to fix the issue is to try the basic troubleshooting methods lined in this section. These would help in resolving compatibility issues and minor glitches.
1A. Fix Hardware Issues
The foremost method is to check if the hardware connection devices have any issues or if it is functional.
- Clean Port- The speaker power port in the device may be accumulated with dust and dirt. You can clear the port by either blowing air through the port or cleaning it using a cotton bud or toothpick.
- Check Power Supply- To fix Amazon Echo not turning on issue, check if the power outlet supplies the power. You can use a test light or connect any other device like a test lamp to check if the power is supplied.
- Check Power Adapter- Check if the cables are functional or damaged externally like wear and tear. If there is any damage to the power cable, you have to purchase an Amazon-certified power adapter from the Amazon Store to ensure product quality.
- Change Power Outlet- As the device has to be connected to the power source at all times, you can try connecting the device to another power outlet. You can choose an outlet, which is remote from other devices and obstructions.
- Avoid Damage to Power Adapter- You can avoid any damage to the power adapter by putting the power cords inside a cable box organizer or using a cable holder to hold the power adapter in place. Alternatively, you can use a wire extender to connect the device to the same power outlet.
1B. Fix Network Connectivity Issues
The issue might occur if the Internet Connection is not stable or not sufficient to support the device. You can try the options given in this method to troubleshooting Alexa Echo device with the Internet Connection and access Echo enabled devices.
- Wi-Fi Issues- Ensure that the Wi-Fi password entered is correct and connect both devices to the same Wi-Fi network. Also, place the device closer to the Wi-Fi supply to fix Amazon Echo not turning on issue.
- Fix Network Issues- To fix network issues, follow the instructions in our guide to fix network connectivity problems in Windows 10.
1C. Fix Bluetooth Issues
If you have connected the device using the Bluetooth connection, you can follow the options given in this method to fix the issue.
- Proximity- Enclose the distance between the devices and place this in close range.
- Enable Connection- Make sure that the Bluetooth connection is enabled on the device and ensure that your phone is paired with the Echo device.
1D. Fix Audio Interruption
The audio is the major input given to the Echo device and the interruption in the delivery may be a reason for the issue.
- Proximity- Ensure that the speakers assigned for the Echo device are close to the device, that is, within a 3 feet range.
- Clear Obstructions- Ensure that the range of the microphone is cleared of any obstruction or physical interference. Place the speaker and the Echo device in an area where the background environmental noises are minimal. Also, ensure that there are no other electronic devices close to the device to avoid interruption in vocal output.
Also Read: Fix Amazon Kindle Not Showing Up on PC
Method 2: Power Cycle Amazon Echo Device
If the Echo device is stuck due to some minor glitches or if it is misconfigured. You can try power cycling the device forcibly to fix Amazon Echo not turning on issue.
1. Press the action button on the device till the LED light ring turns off.
2. Unplug the power adapter from the power source and replug it into the supply after 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Press the action button on the device to turn it on and wait till the LED ring light turns blue.
Method 3: Turn On Microphone
If the LED ring at top of the device is red, the microphone is not turned on in the device. This would hinder the device from receiving the audio input. To turn on the microphone on the device, press the microphone button on top of the Echo.
Method 4: Register Amazon Echo to Alexa App
If the Amazon Echo device is not registered to the Alexa app, you may face this issue. Ensure that you have a stable Wi-Fi connection and the power adapter is plugged properly into the device to troubleshooting Alexa Echo device.
1. Tap on the Amazon Alexa app in the app menu.
2. Move to the More tab at the bottom and tap on the Add a Device option.
3. Tap on the Amazon Echo option in the ALL DEVICES section.
4. Tap on the Echo, Echo Dot, Echo… option in the ECHO SMART SPEAKERS section.
5. Tap on the Yes button to allow the location access.
6. Tap on the While using this app option.
7. Tap on the Yes button if the LED light of the Echo device is orange.
8. Wait till the app searches for the device and registers it to the app. Try if you can access Echo enabled devices.
Also Read: How to Cancel Amazon FreeTime without Device
Method 5: Use 5GHz Bandwidth Network
If the Echo device is not accessible while using the 2.4GHz bandwidth, you can switch to using the 5GHz bandwidth to fix Amazon Echo not turning on issue.
1. Open the Amazon Alexa app.
2. Navigate to the More tab at the bottom and tap on the Settings option.
3. Tap on the Device Settings option.
4. Select the speaker in the list.
5. Tap on the Change option next to the Wi-Fi network.
6. Select the 5GHz bandwidth option.
Method 6: Modify Echo Wake Up Word
If you have altered the wake-up word for the Echo device, you may find it difficult to find and activate your device. To fix the issue, you can modify the wake-up word of the Echo device.
1. Navigate to Alexa app Settings.
2. Tap on the Device Settings option in the list.
3. Select the particular Echo device from the list.
4. Tap on the Wake Word option in the GENERAL section.
5. Select the wake word such as Alexa and return to the main page.
Method 7: Update Alexa Firmware
The outdated firmware of the Echo device may cause Amazon Echo not turning on issue. By default, the devices connected to the network would be updated during the off-hours. However, you can follow the method given here to check for updates manually.
1. Launch the Amazon Alexa app.
2. Move to the Devices tab and tap on the Echo & Alexa option.
3. Select the particular Amazon Echo device in the list.
4. Swipe and tap on the software update button to update the firmware of the device.
Also Read: How Can You Recover Your Amazon Account
Method 8: Re-add Device
If none of the methods work in fixing the issue with the Echo device, you can try re-adding it to the Alexa app. This would treat the device as a fresh device and help in troubleshooting Alexa Echo device.
1. Follow the instructions given in Method 2 to power cycle the Echo device.
2. Wait for some time before turning on the device to let the app forget about the device.
3. To re-add the device, follow the instructions given in Method 4 to register the device to the app.
Method 9: Reinstall Alexa App
If the glitch in the Alexa app is causing the issue, you can try reinstalling the app to fix it and access Echo enabled devices.
Step I: Uninstall Amazon Alexa App
The first step in this method to fix Amazon Echo not turning on issue is to uninstall the installed version of the Alexa app.
1. Open the Settings app from the app menu.
2. On the list, tap on the Apps tab.
3. Tap on the Amazon Alexa app.
4. Tap on the Uninstall option at the bottom bar.
5. Tap on the OK option on the confirmation screen and wait till the app is uninstalled.
Step II: Reinstall Amazon Alexa App
The next step is to reinstall the Alexa app from the Play Store.
1. Launch the Google Play Store app.
2. Search for the Amazon Alexa app on the search bar and tap on the Install button.
3. Wait till the app is installed and open the Amazon Alexa app by following the instruction given earlier.
4. Sign in to your account using your Amazon user credentials.
Also Read: Fix Amazon Fire Stick Slow Issue
Method 10: Reset Amazon Echo Device
If the issue with the Amazon Echo device is still unresolved, you can try resetting the device to the default settings. However, this method will clear all the stored data and information.
Option I: Through Amazon Alexa App
The first option to fix Amazon Echo not turning on issue is to use the Amazon Alexa app to reset the Echo device to the default settings.
1. Launch the Amazon Alexa app.
2. Tap on the Devices tab and tap on the Echo & Alexa option.
3. Tap on the specific Echo device like Echo Dot in the list.
4. Tap on the Factory Reset option in the Reset Settings menu.
5. Tap on the Factory Reset option to confirm the selection.
Option II: Hard Reset Echo Device
The next method is to reset the Echo device forcibly using the reset button in the reset hole, which is available at the bottom of the device. However, care has to be taken to ensure that the internal parts of the device are not damaged while trying to troubleshooting Alexa Echo device.
1. Use a pointed object or a paper clip for pressing the button through the hole.
2. Wait till the LED light turns orange from blue to resume the Echo device to the original factory settings.
Method 11: Replace Hardware Components
In some cases, the hardware components of the Echo device may be damaged and the issue might occur. You can replace these components with the help of a professional to fix Amazon Echo not turning on issue.
Option I: Motherboard
The motherboard is the major component of the Echo device and the issue may arise due to one of the reasons, which are, overheating, power surges, water damage, physical impact, or physical damage. This would cause the speakers and light to malfunction and you cannot access Echo enabled devices.
You can seek the assistance of an Electronics Technician or Service Center and ask them to replace the motherboard. This option is cheaper compared to purchasing a new Echo device.
Option II: Circuit Board
The Echo device runs on a centrally built circuit board as it derives power from the board. The components of the board may have failed and the issue might occur.
You can try contacting a Technician to replace the LED or Microphone on the board to fix the issue.
Also Read: What Does Amazon Approval Needed Mean?
Method 12: Contact Alexa Support Team
If the device has failed before the warranty period has expired. You can replace the device by contacting the Alexa support team. In other cases, you can report the issue to them and seek their advice.
1. Open the Amazon Alexa app.
2. Move to the More tab and tap on the Help & Feedback option.
3. Tap on the Speak with a representative option in the CONTACT US section.
4. Enter your phone number in the field and tap on the CALL ME NOW button.
5. You will receive a call from the representative within a few minutes.
Note: You can also visit the Amazon Echo Support page and find a solution for your problem.
- How Can You Recover Disabled Facebook Account
- 3 Easy Ways for Connecting Droid Turbo to Windows PC
- How to Get Games and Software Library on Amazon
- Fix Alexa Error 10 2 17 5 1 in Echo Dot
You can use the methods given in the article to fix the issue of Amazon Echo not turning on. Let us know which of these methods was effective in troubleshooting Alexa Echo device. And kindly post your suggestions and queries in the comments section.