As touch screens have become an integral part of our digital interactions, it’s necessary to care for and maintain them properly. Using cleaning agents like alcohol can be beneficial, but it also raises concerns about their effects on these sensitive displays. Therefore, this guide will explore whether alcohol can damage touch screens or not during cleaning.
Can Alcohol Damage Touch Screen?
Yes, alcohol can damage the touch screen displays. Modern touch screens, found in smartphones and tablets, use capacitive technology to sense electrical properties from the human body for precise touch input.
However, applying alcohol-based cleaning agents directly on the screen may:
- Damage the oleophobic coatings
- Reduce performance
- Leave behind residue, hence, affecting the responsiveness
Additionally, there’s a risk of alcohol seeping into the device, potentially causing damage to internal components.
Note: To clean touch screens safely, use a damp microfiber cloth or a mild screen cleaner.
Can You Use 70% Alcohol to Clean Phone Screen?
Yes, 70% alcohol can be used to clean a phone screen, but not in liquid form. Instead, it is recommended to use alcohol as wipes or sprays. Ethyl alcohol wipes or Clorox disinfecting wipes with a 70% alcohol content, as well as isopropyl alcohol wipes, are suitable for cleaning the physical surface of an iPhone.
Important considerations before cleaning your phone with tissues or spray:
- Remove the charger before cleaning
- Avoid spraying the solution directly on the phone; instead, spray it on a cloth and then wipe the phone
- Always check the spray’s ingredients and avoid using bleach or abrasives
- Be cautious not to let the spray liquids drop into open areas
Note: Substances like vinegar, alcohol, and bleach can potentially damage touch screens. Also, avoid using products containing bleach and hydrogen peroxide, as well as other cleaning agents.
Does Hand Sanitizer Damage Screens?
Yes. Hand sanitizers can harm screens. These are mostly electronic ones like those on smartphones, tablets, and laptops. It is because most hand sanitizers have alcohol, which can damage the protective coatings on screens and other electronic parts. Using it on screens can harm the oleophobic and hydrophobic coatings, which are there to repel oils and water. This can gradually wear down these coatings, leading to more fingerprints, smudges, and reduced touch sensitivity over time.
What Can Damage a Touch Screen?
A touch screen can be damaged by:
- Leaving dirt on it
- Using liquid cleaners
- Excess cleaning agent usage
- Water damage
- Placing it on heat surfaces
- Dropping the device multiple times
Damaged touch screens may exhibit issues like numbness, vertical lines, flickering, dark screens, or loss of touch functionality.
Note: Handle the touch screen with care and avoid using liquids for cleaning to prevent damage.
How Should I Clean My Touch Screen?
To clean your touch screen, follow these steps:
1. Start by dipping a microfiber cloth into the water.
Note: Make sure the cloth is damp, not soaked.
2. Gently wipe the mobile screen in a circular motion, removing smudges and dirt.
3. Once you’ve wiped the screen with the damp cloth, use a dry part of the microfiber cloth to go over it again in the same circular motion.
By following these simple steps, you can keep your touch screen clean and free from fingerprints and residue. Remember not to use excessive water or harsh cleaning agents, as they may damage the screen.
Also Read: How to Clean Charging Port on Android
What Happens If I Spill Rubbing Alcohol on My Phone?
Spilling rubbing alcohol on your phone can lead to various issues. While alcohol is an effective disinfectant, using it directly on the mobile screen can damage it.
- The high acidity in alcohol may leave marks on the screen.
- The spilled alcohol can lead to the loss of touchscreen sensitivity.
- Moreover, the presence of grease after the spill might be difficult to remove.
- Liquid substances can seep into mobile phones, potentially triggering the liquid damage indicator, and voiding the phone warranty.
It’s advisable to avoid using alcohol or sanitizers for cleaning and instead opt for a simple water and microfiber cloth for the cleaning process.
This article has explained whether alcohol can damage your touch screen or not. By now, you might have understood the impact of alcohol on touch screens and learned how to preserve your phone’s functionality. Share your thoughts with us in the comments, and stay tuned for our next article!