Before we delve into the search for the best fan speed controller software, let us try to understand why the CPU, GPU, and other components of a PC generate excess heat. We know that games and editing software consume more power and therefore generate excess heat. Besides this, there are other problems like drive failure and corrupted files that affect the functioning of the motherboard, resulting in your system getting hot. But in order to change the fan speed to control the temperature buildup in the PC, you need Fan speed controller software. And our list of best fan control software is a great place to start looking for one.
Top 18 Best Fan Speed Controller Software
If you have irregular fan speed then the temperature of your system can increase. This is termed Thermal Throttling. In a PC there can be multiple fans namely:
- The exhaust fan and intake fan are in the front and back of the PC.
- Third is the heatsink fan also known as the power supply fan generally at the back of the computer that enables you to easily throw out the hot air and keep your system cool.
The best and your go-to option to keep your system cool when it is working hard is by controlling your PC or laptop fan speed. This can be done manually, but the manual option is cumbersome and tricky.
Hence, the better option is to go in for the auto PC fan speed control using automatic fan speed controller software which:
- monitors temperatures from numerous sources.
- enables you to modify fan speeds of your machine as and when required.
There are a number of fan speed controller software available in the market, some being compatible with laptops while others are made for use with desktop PCs. There are other hybrid software also available, compatible with both systems, i.e., desktops as well as laptops. We discuss below in detail, a few of the best fan control software for PCs and laptops that can be easily used even by a newbie.
1. Speed Fan
SpeedFan, as the name suggests, is extremely powerful software that tops the list in this race for the best fan speed controller software. It is considered to be one of the best fan control software so due to the various exciting features it harbors as detailed below:
- It enables monitoring of the temperature from multiple sources.
- It is easy to use interface that can change, adjust, or control PC fan speed by estimating the temperature from the digital sensor stored inside the device.
- Besides PC fan speed, it manages the case fan speed and troubleshoots even the most challenging PC issues.
- It enables you to measure the PC temperature in both Celsius and Fahrenheit scales, depending on your requirement.
- It also enables the display of the system variables such as charts & indicators, in the system tray
- It makes use of the S.M.A.R.T. info and displays the performance of the HDD
- It is highly customizable, perfectly organized, and clear interface that enables you to run a fitness test on your HDD and monitor various other parameters like voltage reading, temperature reading, fan speed reading, etc., etc.
- It also keeps track of PWMs, i.e., Pulse Width Modulation using integrated circuits to monitor the speed of PWM fans that help in keeping the temperature of the CPU, GPU, and other components of your PC or laptop in check.
- It supports SCSI disks, which are a standard interface that physically connects and transfers data between a computer and its peripheral devices
- It is compatible with Windows 64 bit and with PCs of any brand and model that support various versions of Windows like Windows 9x, ME, NT, 2000, 2003, 2008, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10, and Windows Server 2012.
- You can download this software free of cost from its official SpeedFan Software Fan Controller site
With a high learning curve, it is not recommended for use of beginners but only for professionals and experts. All-in-all, it is the best fan control software that comes with various exciting features, as detailed above, to change or control PC Fan Speed.
2. Argus Monitor
Argus Monitor is a reliable and light program that is made by a German company. It runs in the background and controls fan speeds as well as monitors hard disk health. It is considered one of the community loved fan speed controller software due to the below mentioned remarkable features:
- It enables smooth and speedy control of the fan speed of the mainboard and GPU based on data available from different temperature sources
- This smart Argus Monitor official Website offers only 30 days free trial but can be downloaded for long-term use on making a one-time payment of $19.95.
- It makes use of the S.M.A.R.T. attributes and digital sensors to monitor health status and regulate HDD temperature.
- It also enables monitoring of GPU, CPU, and hard drive temperatures using a graphical display and digital sensors
- It runs automatically in the backdrop, controlling the PC fan speed, without interrupting your work.
- It enables to check whether the power management system is working properly.
- It enables users to save up to 70% of their essential data prior to the failure of the hard drive.
- It supports all Windows versions i.e., Windows 7, 8, 8.1 & 10.
- It’s easy to use, user-friendly interface that notifies temperature issues via emails.
Like any other software, it also has some shortcomings.
- Firstly, this software cannot be customized, as per your needs and demands.
- Secondly, it won’t be able to function without a built-in sensor in its hardware.
- Lastly, it offers only a 30-day free trial license and for further use, you have to buy the license key.
But keep in mind its robust features, it is rated as one of the excellent and most smart and reliable Windows 10 Fan Control software to Change or Control PC Fan Speed as of today.
Also Read: 7 Ways to Fix CPU Fan Not Spinning
3. EasyTune/ EasyTune 5
EasyTune 5 by Gigabyte is considered one of the best fan speed controller software and is rated to be in the list of the most suitable tools for Windows OS due to the following amazing features as detailed below:
- It enables you to track and verify the health of your PC or laptop
- It makes use of the North-Bridge Chipset heat-sink managing the smart fan speed to keep the chipset on your computer’s motherboard cool, protecting it from any damage due to overheating.
- It enables you to configure the CPU cooling fan speed as per different temperatures at different RPMs and suggest setting the fan at full speed at 60°C.
- It enables you to monitor all types of fans whether it be a CPU fan, case fan, laptop fan, or HDD fan, it manages them all.
- It enables users to switch between different modes viz SmartFan Auto or Advanced Mode
- It enables you to keep a check on the overclocking parameter setting of the PC heat sink fan in advanced mode to improve the performance of your system
- It can be fine-tuned to manage system voltages and memory clocks in the Windows OS.
- It enables performance monitoring using the M.I.B. i.e. the Management Information Base feature, which is an ASCII data text file detailing Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) characteristics in a list to manage a device for example controlling the speed of your PC fan, in this case.
- It also monitors PC fan performance using the C.I.A features in which the three letters stand for confidentiality, integrity, and availability with special emphasis on confidentiality outlining the goals and objectives to defend against malware/web-based attacks, data breaches, phishing, etc., while keeping in view the fan speed control system’s information security.
- It supports all versions of Windows
- It can be downloaded free of cost and installed to run on your PC/laptop from the Gigabyte official Easy tune 5 Website.
The only drawback of this software is that it has limited usage and does not cater to systems working on Linux or Mac OS. Secondly, the over-clocking feature can sometimes turn faulty, affecting your system’s performance.
4. Open Hardware Monitor
Open Hardware Monitor is a powerful tool to fan speed controller software has many more amazing features that help to enhance your system performance as listed below:
- It is a free-to-use, open-source program whereby anyone can study, use, change, and share the software and its source code with anyone else and for any purpose.
- It supports most of the latest hardware monitoring chips along with other features like clock speed, voltage, or temperature of the system
- It checks and monitors the CPU temperature with the help of its core temperature sensors and displays the data in the system tray or the main window in a customizable desktop
- Its digital temperature readings measure the disk temperature avoiding the superheating of the CPU or the motherboard of the laptop.
- Its organized and clear user interface runs on both 32-bit and 64-bit systems.
- It also enables the use of S.M.A.R.T. attributes to access the hard drive’s temperature
- Its highly customizable interface displays ATI and NVIDIA video card sensors as well.
- It does not require to be installed on your PC/laptop, however, if desired, you can download it from its official website.
- It is compatible with Microsoft Windows XP / Vista / 7 / 8 / 8.1 / 10 and any x86 based Linux OS
- Besides being one of the best fan speed control software, it can also monitor the temperature of other devices like the OPAMPS, voltage regulators, transistors, clock circuits, and so on.
The only drawback is that it does not set any fixed default values for temperature control, so one needs to constantly keep a check on the max safe temperature level. But with the use of a digital temperature monitoring device, one can keep track of the disk temperature and avoid the superheating of the CPU or motherboard of the laptop. Secondly, it is not meant for the use of an average computer user.
The major advantage of this PC Fan Speed control software is that it is simple to use and constantly keeps on updating its hardware to meet its needs and requirements. As such, it holds its place to remain on the list of the best software to change or control PC Fan Speed, giving tough competition to Speedfan software.
5. Notebook Fan Control
Notebook Fan Control software is designed to offer the ability to control the computer fan speed and made its way to our list of best fan control software due to the below-mentioned reasons:
- It has a straightforward, free to use, user-friendly interface that can easily be used by computer novices too
- It monitors CPU temperature in real-time using thermal sensors and regulates the fan speed accordingly
- It also allows you to disable the fan control service and enables you to manually control the PC fan speed using a simple slider present in the center of the main menu. However, it is best left to run on auto-control only to avoid damage to the motherboard due to unwanted overheating.
- It is compatible with all brands of laptops using Windows 7, 8, or 10 and automatically starts functioning as you switch on your system.
- It modifies the color for the system tray symbol from the settings and enables the display of the CPU temperature in the system tray too
- It can be downloaded for use directly from the Notebook Fan Control website.
Note: Visit Github official website and check whether this fan speed controller supports your system or not. If it does, you can download as indicated above.
6. HW Monitor
HW Monitor is a trusted fan speed monitoring program and is considered in the list of the best fan speed controller software due to the following traits:
- It is free of cost, well designed, precise, and easy-to-use software to Change or Control PC Fan Speed
- It monitors real-time speed and keeps a complete record of the minimum and maximum fan speed of all three fans namely the CPU fan that keeps the motherboard cool and the other two cabinet fans one for cool air inlet and the other meant for hot air exhaust purposes.
- It also tracks and records Motherboard voltage, processor voltage, processor temperature both in Celsius or Fahrenheit scale, system power consumption in Watts, and much more.
- It enables you to save the complete interface data in a TXT file.
- It is available to run on both 32-bit & 64-bit versions.
- It is compatible with all versions of Windows including the latest Windows 11.
- It enables you to connect to another network or any specific IP address you require engaging with.
- It even possesses common sensor chips like ITE® IT87 series, most Winbond® ICs, & others.
- It uses minimal resources to automatically generate graphs for each live session and enables you to include analyzed values in the system tray.
- It supports new hardware and speedily updates data.
- Its upgraded versions come at a cost at Prices starting from $22.40.
Though it is one of the best software to Change or Control PC Fan Speed the major weakness of this software is that it does not generate alerts and you have to regularly keep a check and supervise things by yourself. Secondly, this Software is only available for Windows PCs/laptops but is not available for gadgets using Mac or Linux OS.
Also Read: How to Remove or Reset the BIOS Password
7. Corsair Link
Corsair Link is a good software that is considered in the list of the best fan speed controller software due to some of its amazing features as detailed below:
- This PC fan controller software is a free utility that automatically adjusts cooling using Hydro Series liquid CPU coolers.
- Its user-friendly interface offers complete control over fans for Windows PCs or laptops and enables changes in the computer’s CPU fan speed, adjusting fan speed at 100% or less, depending upon the overheating of your PC.
- It checks the CPU temp, HDD temp, and any speed fluctuations and displays the CPU/GPU fan speed data on its dashboard in real-time, giving warning notifications.
- It has a perfect game-oriented interface and should be installed on the PC of every gamer.
- In addition to the fan speed display, it also indicates the mainframe voltage reading, electric load, and the DRAM (Dynamic Random Access Memory) frequency which is a semiconductor memory with random access that enables storing each bit of data in a cell.
- It supports almost all Windows OS and can be downloaded from Corsair Link’s official website.
- It enables you to select and change any custom image and shows that image of the PC case in the background
Though it is very efficient hardware that helps prevent PC errors, it is not very user-friendly. It is considered to be a Brand Specific Fan Control for PCs with limited compatibility, having issues with the Windows 10 OS.
8. TPFan Control
TPFan Control is free, simple, lightweight, open-source utility that is considered one of the best fan speed controller software, occupying 8th position on the list due to the following features:
- It enables control of CPU and GPU temperature and fan speed while running in the background.
- It enables a choice of seven-speed settings of the temperature control fans for efficient cooling.
- It displays the notification icon indicating CPU, GPU, and the mainboard temperatures.
- It also helps control fan noise in addition to controlling fan speeds.
- It supports all Windows 32 bit and 64 bit systems.
- It can be chosen to run in either Manual mode, Smart mode, or BIOS mode, as required.
The drawback of this software is that firstly it displays unwanted fishy ads. In addition, due to the limited and strict interface it is meant for professional users only and may be a bit complicated for novices.
9. Zotac FireStorm
Zotac FireStorm is another known hardware monitor that is considered in the list of the best fan speed controller software due to the following features:
- It has a straightforward, easy-to-understand user interface that helps you view, modify and effectively control the fan speeds It has a dedicated Monitoring section that makes use of Nvidia Graphic cards to view real-time clock speeds, temperature, fan speeds, etc.
- Due to the ease of availability of every type of required information, on its user interface, it enables better flexibility in controlling your hardware device’s temperature and fan speeds.
- It enables control of several clock speeds like the GPU clock speed, memory clock speed, shader clock speed, & VDDC values in its Clock section.
- This fan speed monitor supports Windows 7, Windows 8 & also the Windows 10 software.
- It enables multiple other controls like Fan control, CPU control, etc., etc.
- In addition to fan speed control, it also provides RGB control consisting of the three basic colors of red, green, and blue, and mixes them to generate any specific colors making the computer case look awesome and stylish. Therefore, performance-wise, RGB control does not add anything additional other than mere cosmetic improvement in looks.
It also has its share of drawbacks. The biggest drawback is its inability to examine and monitor other graphics cards other than NVIDIA. Secondly, due to the presence of minor bugs, it may be inconsistent, at times.
Though this software application does not have lots of bells and whistles like other software on the list but is effective enough to provide the flexibility to monitor and control fan speeds to regulate and maintain hardware temperatures.
HWiNFO is also very useful and amazing software for Windows that allows you to do various tasks on your computer enabling it to maintain its place in the list of best fan speed controller software. Provided below are several excellent features of this PC fan controller software for your ready reference and use:
- It enables easy, fast, and immediate adjustment of CPU and cabinet fan speeds.
- It enables monitoring of several other system components like CPU, motherboard, HDD temperature, CPU package power, GPU power, Core clock, and a lot more
- It also provides information about system CPU and GPU code names, RAM type, and offers several reports on CPU turbo frequency, BIOS information, Sensors info, & much more
- It stores all the reports containing the entire values of different parameters mentioned above in a CSV file
- It supports the latest technologies and standards that work with both 32-bit and 64-bit systems
- It is compatible with all Windows OS like Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8 & the last version of Windows i.e., Windows 10.
This customizable software also has a portable version on offer which you can use even when on the move. This software provides a report of only the desired parameters giving blank details of the delimited parameters. Besides being an ideal choice for those looking for the free version, it also has on offer an upgraded HWiNFO Pro version with additional features, using 3rd party add-ons or tools, and is available for $24.94, for those interested in more options.
11. Mac Fan Control
Mac Fan Control is another fan speed controller software that is used by Mac computer users due to following reasons:
- It enables immediate monitoring of GPU, CPU, and other third-party hard drive temperatures using S.M.A.R.T. technology
- Its user-friendly interface fixes any noise caused by the replacement of the iMac Hard Disk Drive
- It is easy to use, showing all fans on one side and other components on the opposite side.
- It easily prevents overheating of the MacBook Pro by changing its CPU fan RPM using a slider and then clicking ‘ok’ on the Custom button.
- It is compatible not only with Mac OS but also with all versions of Windows OS i.e. Windows 10/8/7, Windows Vista as well as Windows XP
- It is free to download using Boot Camp, which is multi-utility software that enables Apple Macintosh PCs and laptops to run both Windows and Mac OS.
- This freeware program is available for download from the Mac Fan Control website in more than 30 different languages.
Like its other counterparts, it also has some drawbacks. It lacks automatic notifications and clarity on which fan is governed by which sensor. However, with some of the most amazing features under its belt as listed above, it is without any iota of doubt considered as one of the best fan speed control software for Mac users.
As modern Mac devices overheat more quickly, this fan speed controller software is one of the fan favourites, especially for Mac users due to the amazing features detailed below:
- It enables you to independently adjust & control the speed of CPU fans and main computer fans
- It automatically increases the minimum fan speed setting to avoid overheating.
- It is available to download, install and set up this CPU fan controller software free of cost.
- It is compatible with both desktop as well as laptop fans causing no stress on the system hardware.
- It provides a solid answer to counter your Desktop/Laptop overheating issues and is easy to use even by beginners
- It can be easily downloaded from the web, using the smcFanControl link.
The drawback of this application is that it is available only for Mac users and is not meant for systems running on Windows OS. Secondly, it is slow in error tracking.
13. ASUS AI Suite 3
Asus AI Suite 3 is a godsend fan speed controller software for those users who got ASUS motherboard due to the following multiple functions:
- It is available to download free of cost to control the speeds of fans cooling your PC/laptop.
- The Fan Xpert4 feature in this software helps to control the speeds of fans connected with the ASUS motherboard.
- It keeps track of the CPU temperature and customizes fan speed accordingly
- This software also enables easy access to ASUS hardware.
- It calculates the lowest fan speed required, using its proprietary self-adaptive fan tuning algorithm based on the current system load, to provide uncompromised effective cooling, keeping fan noise to the minimum
- Its additional audio utility feature reduces background microphone noise, unwanted keyboard clatter, and mouse clicks, enabling you to enjoy crystal clear hearing while gaming or when listening to incoming calls.
Once this software is activated, it overrides all manual fan controls to enable auto-monitoring and is considered the best ASUS PC/laptop fan control utility for Windows users.
Also Read: How to Test Power Supply
14. MSI Afterburner Control
MSI Afterburner Control is one of the well-known fan speed controller software among gamers and computer enthusiasts alike. You can find more about the software down below:
- It is available completely free of charge to monitor your hardware in real-time, on-screen.
- It has an automated OC Scanner function that will find the highest stable overclock settings for your card keeping a check on over-clocking.
- It enables a graphical display, watching the up and down fluctuating CPU temp and GPU temp of your PC/laptop and thereby keeping control on the fan speeds to avoid overheating.
- It is compatible with graphic cards from all brands and is not restricted to any one type only.
- It enables to change or control the PC fan speed by adjusting the bar under the fan speed tab to save in 5 profiles any changes to the core fan speed settings of the CPU and GPU, providing more effective and efficient cooling of its CPU and GPU and preventing your PC from overheating.
- It also keeps a check on GPU voltage, memory usage, frequency, and FPS
All in all, it is considered to be one of the best software to control the CPU and GPU fans for Windows 10.
15. TG Pro
TG Pro temperature monitoring and fan control software and recommended by many because:
- It is quite easy to set up and use especially with the help of its tutorial.
- Apart from temperatures, you can also check for the battery health of your Macbook.
- You can choose to manually change fan speeds or allow it to control it automatically.
- The most interesting feature of TG Pro is its Email notifications.
- Since it is available exclusively for Mac devices, this can be slated as its only con.
16. Wise System Monitor
Wise is a free and easy-to-use Windows resource & hardware monitor with the following advantages:
- It allows you to monitor CPU & RAM Usage along with temperatures.
- Its Process Monitor keeps an eye on running processes in the foreground & the background.
- It offers User Guide as well as Multi-lingual support.
- It consumes very little memory space & CPU resources. Thus, it appears on our list of the best fan speed control software.
- You can opt for a free trial and buy the product. What makes it unique is the 60-day moneyback guarantee.
Also Read: How to Check Battery Health on Android
AIDA64 by Finalwire boasts a huge list of products on its official website, namely, AIDA64 Extreme, AIDA64 Engineer, AIDA64 Business, and AIDA64 Network Audit. Additionally, it hosts AIDA64 for mobile devices as well. Some of its noteworthy features include:
- It provides detailed information about hardware by monitoring all components closely.
- It helps users to diagnose issues & take pre-emptive action beforehand.
- The Engineer tool caters to IT technicians while the Network Audit version caters to IT companies.
- For offices, its Business model is apt to manage & monitor all devices via a single unified app.
18. NZXT CAM
NZXT Cam claims itself to be the best gaming PC monitoring app because of the following attributes:
- It is one of the quickest & most efficient fan control software.
- You can easily track CPU, GPU, RAM & bandwidth consumption.
- With its Smart Scheduling feature, you can schedule to set lighting & fans according to the time of day & purpose of use.
- Likewise, you can enable color & fan speed change during Gaming.
- Apart from temperatures & battery level, you can also check for FPS and game duration during gaming. Pretty cool, right!
- Fix Firefox SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP in Windows 10
- 16 Best Free Screen Recorder for PC
- 26 Best 3D Modeling Software
- 5 Best FPS Counter For Windows 10
We have tried to provide a detailed list of some of the best and most effective Fan speed controller software and solve all your queries to control or change the fan’s speed for Windows and Mac desktops and laptops. All the above utilities are easy to use and even a newbie can run these applications. Feel free to drop your questions or suggestions in the comment section below.