Android is the most commonly used operating system these days. Unfortunately, Android phones and tablets do face overheating issues. This issue occurs in any Android device irrespective of the brand or manufacturer as Android devices don’t have any cooling systems like a computer does. Many of you might face phone overheating issue on OnePlus and soem might wonder why do Samsung phones overheat? This guide will help you find amazing solutions for Android phone overheating or heating up problem.
Reasons for Android Phone Heating Up
The most common reason for Android phone getting hot is leaving your phone in direct sunlight or in a warm place, especially during summer season. You might not be giving enough cooling time to your device. Apart from the above, these factors might cause overheating problem:
- Duplicate or sub-standard charger and cable
- Silicon or metallic phone case
- Battery problems.
- Insufficient Network signal.
- Playing high graphics video or games.
- Long-term pending updates.
- Extreme Multitasking between multiple apps.
- Presence of malware.
- Best Android Phone Overheating Solutions
- How to Determine Source of Overheating
- Method 1: Avoid Placing/Using Phone in Sunlight
- Method 2: Use Original Company Charger and Cable
- Method 3: Clean Charging Port & Headphone Jack
- Method 4: Remove Phone Case Before Charging
- Method 5: Don’t Use Phone Continously or While Charging
- Method 6: Replace Phone Battery
- Method 7: Ensure Proper Network Connectivity
- Method 8: Turn off Bluetooth
- Method 9: Enable Airplane Mode While Charging
- Method 10: Avoid Playing Games & Streaming Videos in High Quality
- Method 11: Disable Install Unknown Apps Feature
- Method 12: Reduce Screen Brightness
- Method 13: Uninstall Battery Draining Apps
- Method 14: Keep Android Software Updated
- Method 15: Check for Malware & Viruses
- Pro Tip: Best Apps to Cool Down Android Phone
Best Android Phone Overheating Solutions
You should first figure out where your phone heats up before trying to rectify it.
How to Determine Source of Overheating
The common places where a phone heats up are the camera, backside of the phone, or the charging port.
- If your phone heats up besides the camera it may be due to over-usage. Hence, close camera apps running in the background.
- If your phone heats up at the bottom, the reason behind it may be your charger or charging port. If your phone heats up whenever you charge it, replace your charger.
Tip: To close all background processes at once, restart your Android phone.
If you are struggling with overheating issue on your Android device, follow our comprehensive list of Android smartphone overheating solutions.
Note: Since smartphones don’t have the same Settings options, they vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Hence, ensure the correct settings before changing any on your device.
Method 1: Avoid Placing/Using Phone in Sunlight
Placing your phone in sunlight is the common factor that causes Android phone heating up or OnePlus overheating issue. In the summer season the heat can heat your phone very fast.
- Always be cautious that you do not leave your phone in a heated environment. Also, avoid placing your mobile in the car when you leave out of it.
- If sunlight is the cause for the increase in temperature of your device, you should immediately move your phone to a cooler place like in a shaded or covered area.
Also Read: Fix Fast Charging Not Working on Android
Method 2: Use Original Company Charger and Cable
Whenever you buy a new phone, the phone comes with accessories such as charger and headphones. Due to wear and tear, the said charger may start malfunctioning. Thus, you ought to buy a new charger.
- In this case, you should buy original/standard charger which is recommended by the manufacturers.
- Many people prefer to buy duplicate chargers because they are affordable. But their quality isn’t upto the mark and might harm your device in the long run.
Method 3: Clean Charging Port & Headphone Jack
If your port is covered with dust it will not connect properly with your charger when you try to charge it, thereby increasing the heat of your Android. A similar issue can happen with headphones as well. Hence, cleaning the jack might help resolve Android phone including OnePlus & Samsung overheating problem.
1. Turn off the device by pressing the Power button for a few seconds.
2. Remove the battery from your phone, if it is detachable.
3. Use a toothbrush carefully to clean it up.
Note: A toothpick should not be used to clean it up as it gets broken easily and will get stuck in the port. Paper clips also should not be used as they conduct electricity. Anything that is sharp, can cause serious damage.
4. Reinsert the battery and turn on your phone.
Also Read: What is HTC S-OFF?
Method 4: Remove Phone Case Before Charging
Almost everyone uses a phone case for its protection. Phone cases are good in protecting the phone but it is a concern when it comes to phone overheating. You should remove your case when your phone is overheating because, it will be hard for your phone to release the heat and cool down on its own. The situation is worsened in metallic and leather cases.
- Remove the phone case out of your Android.
- Clean your phone with a dry cloth.
- Wait until the phone gets cooled or charged and replace your phone case.
Method 5: Don’t Use Phone Continously or While Charging
The major reason that increases the temperature of your device is the continuous usage of your phone. So, follow the given precautions to avoid OnePlus phone overheating issue:
- Avoid using your phone for a long time, give it some free time and rest your device for a while.
- It is highly advisable to not use your mobile while charging it.
Method 6: Replace Phone Battery
After using your phone for a particular time period, you may notice that your phone battery drains faster than usual. If so, it means that your phone battery is losing its capacity. You can check your battery health by following the steps listed in our guide How to Check Battery Health on Android.
- In such cases, you should buy a new battery as soon as possible to seek Android phone overheating solutions.
- Alternately, your device battery can be repaired by local repair shops or online mail-in shops.
Also Read: How to Fix Phone Speaker Water Damage
Method 7: Ensure Proper Network Connectivity
Everybody knows that your phone faces poor signals on a low network. Check if you have adequate network carrier settings on your mobile as explained below:
1. Tap the Settings icon on your Home Screen.
2. Tap the SIM cards & mobile networks option as shown.
3. Now, make sure the Mobile data option is turned on.
4. If you using a roaming network, tap Advanced settings.
5. Then, tap the box next to International roaming and set the option to Always as shown.
6. Then, tap on Data roaming.
7. Then, tap Turn on to confirm the prompt.
Once you have turned on your network connection, your device will no longer run extra resources to seek the carrier network. This may decrease the temperature of your mobile.
Method 8: Turn off Bluetooth
Bluetooth is a great feature of the smartphone. If Bluetooth is turned on in your device but not connected to any Bluetooth devices, it scans for devices to connect, and this causes Android phone getting hot or OnePlus overheating issue. This also holds true for Wi-Fi and Mobile Data. Hence, it is a good practice to switch these off when not in use.
1. Slide down from the top of the screen to access the Control centre.
2. Tap on the Bluetooth icon to turn it off.
3. Similarly, tap Wi-Fi icon to disable it.
4. Restart your device and rest your mobile until the temperature cools down.
Method 9: Enable Airplane Mode While Charging
- If your phone has a low signal or no signal at all, you may see your Android phone heating up. Turn on airplane mode until the signal returns and then turn it off. This will help save battery life as well.
- It is also recommended to charge your phone on airplane mode to avoid overheating altogether.
Here’s how to turn on airplane mode:
1. Slide down from the top of the screen to access the control centre.
2. Tap the Airplane mode icon.
Method 10: Avoid Playing Games & Streaming Videos in High Quality
Almost everyone loves playing games on their phone, especially kids. But you should remember that games consume more battery than other apps and require high processing speeds of GPU. Playing games for a long time increases the temperature of your device. The same happens when you stream HD videos for a long period of time, without any breaks in between.
This problem occurs in all phones including mid-budget, high-end, and flagship phones. Hence, resting your phone for a few minutes every hour is essential to keep it from overheating.
Method 11: Disable Install Unknown Apps Feature
Install unknown apps in your Android phone, when enabled, allows your phone to install apps from all sources. This is an unsafe setting that collects your personal data and it may cause your OnePlus or Samsung Android phone to get hot. Turn off this setting as follows:
1. Open Settings on your phone as before.
2. Look for an option for Privacy protection and tap on it.
3. Open Special permissions by tapping it.
4. Now tap on Install unknown apps.
5. Toggle off Allow from this source option as depicted below.
Method 12: Reduce Screen Brightness
Reducing your screen brightness is one of the best Android phone overheating solutions. Turning your brightness too high creates heat because it forces your battery to work harder. It may destroy your phone screen in the long run. Thus, reduce screen brightness as follows:
1. Access Quick Settings by sliding it down from the top.
2. Drag the Brightness slider towards Left to reduce the brightness levels.
Additionally, consider buying anti-glare protectors for your phone screen so that you don’t need to turn your brightness up in the sunlight.
Method 13: Uninstall Battery Draining Apps
Do Samsung phones overheat? Yes, but you can fix Samsung or OnePlus Android phone heating up issue by uninstalling battery-draining apps as detailed below:
1. Open Settings on your phone.
2. Now tap on Apps.
3. And then, tap on Manage apps as shown.
4. Now uninstall any apps that seem unwanted or apps that consume your battery by tapping Uninstall icon shown highlighted below.
Method 14: Keep Android Software Updated
If you are using an older version of your phone, it may also increase the temperature of your device. All apps and your phone should be kept up to date because it may cause Android phone heating up. Keeping your phone updated not only increases the performance of your phone but also fixes bugs, if any. Read our guide on How To Manually Update Android To Latest Version to learn to do so.
Method 15: Check for Malware & Viruses
Malware on your device can cause Android phone getting hot issue. Malware developers do not concentrate on the health of your device, all they want is your data. It may attack your phone
- Through advertisements called malvertising or
- Through fake apps.
Some apps do the job of removing such malware and are called antivirus apps. Using antivirus apps is one of the best Android phone overheating solutions. These apps help you to detect malware, eliminate malware and prevent malware from entering your phone. Read our list of Best free antivirus for Android here.
Pro Tip: Best Apps to Cool Down Android Phone
You now know the answer to your question do Samsung phones overheat. How to resolve this issue?
You can download dedicated apps that help cool down your phone whenever it gets heated. That too, in a very short period of time. Some of these are:
- Cooling Master – Phone Cooler
- Battery Doctor – Phone Faster and Cleaner
- Phone Master–Junk Clean Master
- How to Change Background Color in Microsoft Word
- Fix Twitch App Not Working on Android
- Fix Pokémon Go Adventure Sync Not Working on Android
- 14 Best Fastest Browsers for Android
We hope that this guide was useful to learn Android phone overheating solutions. Let us know which method worked best for you. Also, let us know your queries and valuable suggestions in the comment section below.