Google Chrome has been the leading web browser for quite some time. It is famous for its large userbase and impeccable service which gets refined with each update. However, there are still issues that are often reported in Chrome. A recent error has left users asking where is the chrome menu button? Menu button in Google Chrome is located in top right corner of the screen by default. When this error occurs Chrome menu button disappears from its usual place which can ruin UI experience of many users. If you are also dealing with the same problem, you are at the right place. We bring to you a perfect guide that will help you fix menu button missing from Google Chrome menu bar error.
Where is the Chrome Menu Button?
The Chrome menu button is situated on the right side of the URL address bar. If you wondering what causes it to disappear then here are some plausible reasons behind this error.
- Minor bugs and glitches
- Interference by Extensions
- Google Chrome is outdated
How to Fix Menu Button Missing Error in Google Chrome
After understanding why menu button disappears from Google Chrome menu bar, let us go to the methods to resolve this issue. Firstly, make sure you are not using Chrome in Fullscreen mode as it hides menu button, you can check it by pressing F11 key. If Chrome shifts to Fullscreen then press F11 again to disable Fullscreen. If you are still facing the issue then follow the steps below.
Method 1: Restart Google Chrome
This is a basic fix that works for many Google Chrome errors and it is to simply restart Chrome. Restarting Chrome will fix any temporary glitches and other software issues present in Chrome. Here is how you can do it.
1. Press the Ctrl + Shift + Tab keys simultaneously to open Task Manager.
2. Locate Google Chrome under Processes tab.
3. Right-click on Google Chrome and select End task. It will close all processes related to Google Chrome.
4. Wait for few seconds and open Google Chrome.
Method 2: Update Google Chrome
If you using an outdated version of Google Chrome then you may see many errors including missing menu button. Chrome receives regular updates which keep it running properly and fixes bugs and other issues. You can check and updated Google Chrome by following the steps below.
1. Hit the Windows key, type chrome, and click on Open.
2. Type chrome://settings in the address bar and press Enter key to open the Chrome Settings page.
3. In the left pane, click on the About Chrome option.
4. In the next window, Chrome will check for updates. If there are updates available, Chrome will automatically start updating.
5. After Chrome has finished updating, the Relaunch button will be visible.
6. Click on Relaunch to restart Chrome with new updates.
7. If there are no updates available you will see Chrome is up to date message after Step 3.
Also Read: Fix ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT Chrome error
Method 3: Enable Home Button
Another way to resolve this issue and stop getting confused thinking about where is the chrome menu button is to manually enable Google Chrome home button and use it as a shortcut to open Chrome Settings. In this way, you will have a button to open Settings without needing menu button. Follow the steps below to do the same.
1. Follow Steps 1 and 2 from Method 2 to open Chrome Settings.
2. In the left pane, click on the Appearance option.
3. Inside the Appearance page, toggle on the Show home button to enable it. It is generally disabled by default.
4. After enabling Show home button, select Enter custom web address option.
5. Type chrome://settings in Enter custom web address textbox as shown.
6. Now you will see the home icon next to the address bar and clicking on it will open the Chrome Settings page.
You can now use home button as menu button and the issue is resolved.
Note: In case you don’t want to enable the home button, you can also access some settings page in Chrome directly by typing the following in the address bar.
- Bookmarks: chrome://extensions
- History: chrome://history
- Help: chrome://settings/help
- Downloads: chrome://downloads
- Settings: chrome://settings
Method 4: Disable Extensions
Extensions are used in Chrome to increase efficiency and add more features. But sometimes, certain extensions can modify User Interface of Chrome thus causing menu button to disappear. To check this, you can disable extensions and it might resolve the issue. Follow the steps below to do the same.
1. Follow Step 1 from Method 2.
2. Type chrome://extensions in the address bar and press Enter key. It will open a list of all extensions installed in Chrome.
3. Toggle off extensions one by one to disable them. For example, the Request X extension is toggled off as shown below.
4. After disabling all extensions, check if the issue is resolved. If you were able to fix missing menu button error then start enabling extensions one by one.
5. If enabling a specific extension causes the menu button to disappear again then simply disable that extension and activate all others.
If you still couldn’t see the menu button in Chrome and thinking where is the chrome menu button then follow the next method.
Also Read: Fix Chrome not Connecting to the Internet
Method 5: Reset Google Chrome
If you still cannot fix the issue then this method is your last resort. You can Reset Chrome which restore its default settings. It might fix the issue. Follow the steps below to reset Chrome.
1. Follow Step 1 from Method 2.
2. Type chrome://settings/reset in the address bar and press Enter key. It will open the Reset and clean up page.
3. Click on Restore settings to their original defaults option.
4. In the following popup, click on the Reset Settings button.
The issue should be resolved now.
- How to Get Windows 10 Minecraft Edition for Free
- How to Enable Desktop Mode on Android Browsers
- How to Remove Most Visited Sites on Google Chrome
- 35 Best Google Chrome Flags for Android
We hope that this guide was helpful and you were able to find the answer to where is the Chrome menu button and why does menu button disappear from the Google Chrome menu bar. Let us know which method worked for you the best. If you have any queries or suggestions then feel free to drop them in the comments section.