Uplay is a huge gaming platform with a wide variety of fun games. It is an excellent way to relax and de-stress while exploring different games. However, there can be occasional glitches and malfunctions that may prevent users from fully enjoying the platform. If you are facing the same issue, you have come to the right place. In this guide, we will show you how to fix the unable to start download error on Uplay. So, let us begin!
Table of Contents
Unable to Start Download Error on Uplay
Uplay is a game launcher created by Ubisoft that lets players connect and enjoy popular games like Assassins Creed. However, like any other software, it can sometimes have issues. One of these problems is when it won’t start downloading a game. But don’t worry! We have some simple solutions below to fix this issue. Keep reading until the end to learn how!
Get Uplay to start downloading again by verifying game files:
1. Open Uplay Client and search for an entry in the Start menu.
2. Select Games and view the list of games installed.
3. Right-click on the game you want to check and select Properties.
4. Click on Verify files and wait until it scans.
Reasons for Ubisoft Unable to Start Download Code 17006
When downloading a new game or an update from Uplay, you receive the unable to start download message. It is a rather typical error that can be readily fixed. But an assortment of factors might cause this error to flash on your screen, including:
- Issue with Uplay Servers
- Wi-Fi Router Connectivity Problem
- Insufficient Permissions to Uplay
- Outdated Software
- Cache Accumulation
- Corrupt Uplay files
To fix unable to start download error in Uplay, you can follow some preventive steps and solutions provided below:
Note: It’s possible that the problem is being caused by downed Ubisoft servers. If so, the only thing you can do is wait for the servers to reload.
Method 1: Monitor Internet Connection
When trying to download Uplay on your desktop, it is important to make sure your internet connection is strong and reliable. Games are pretty large, therefore downloading them takes some time and a high-speed internet connection. You may check for a reliable connection before downloading the game by following the tips given below:
- For reliable service, try toggling your Wi-Fi router a few times.
- Try downloading the game via an ethernet cord if you are having trouble doing so with a wireless connection.
- Try to disconnect the connection from every other network-connected device.
Note: If your internet service provider is experiencing difficulties delivering you a high-speed connection, which is yet another issue, you can only await for the connection to get stronger soon.
Method 2: Access Uplay Preview Version
The preview version is the upcoming release of the Uplay client, and it is quite likely that it will address the unable to start download issue and fix it. If Uplay has made the solution available in the preview version of the game you wish to download, you can use it to your advantage. Follow the steps mentioned below to utilize the preview version:
1. Open Uplay Client.
2. Click on the Menu option and select Settings displayed on the menu.
3. Open the General Tab and within it select the Try out Preview Versions option.
Method 3: Run as Administrator
Problems with Uplay may arise from a lack of permissions. If the required permissions are not provided, Uplay application may have issues and failures. Another quick and easy solution is to set up your device’s system software to let Uplay act as an administrator. Take the following measures to enable Uplay to behave as an administrator-:
1. Press Windows + R buttons together to open the Run Dialogue Box.
2. Type appdata into the Open search box.
3. Click OK.
4. Open the LocalLow Folder.
5. Right-click on the Uplay Game Launcher Folder.
6. From the drop-down box, click Delete to remove the Uplay Game Launcher from the desktop.
7. Return to the Uplay icon on your screen and right-click on the icon.
8. Choose the Run as administrator option from the drop-down menu.
Also Read: How to Find Uplay Screenshot Location
Method 4: Alter Uplay Client Compatibility Properties
There is a good chance that the issue is caused by the Uplay application’s incompatibility and lack of authorization with the system software. This problem can be solved with a few quick steps and a few easy actions:
1. Right-click on the Uplay icon on your screen and select the Open file location option.
2. Right-click on the Uplay.exe file and select the Properties option.
3. Within Properties open the Compatibility tab.
4. Check the Run this program in compatibility mode for box and select Windows 7 from the drop-down menu.
5. Further, click on the Uplay icon again and select the Run this program as administrator option.
Method 5: Delete Uplay Client Cache Folder
The accumulating cache may be the cause of Ubisoft unable to start download code 17006. There are occasions when the cache memory contains corrupted data which must be frequently emptied away and kept from amassing too much in order to preserve performance and avoid unnecessary errors. You may delete the cache by carrying out the very simple actions shown below:
1. Press the Windows + R button simultaneously.
2. Type in appdata in the Run Dialogue Box.
3. Click OK.
4. Open the Roaming folder.
5. Once you have located the Ubisoft folder within Roaming right-click on it and click Delete.
Method 6: Verify Game Files
Process the game file’s properties to look for updates and issues. You can find out if the files may be downloaded automatically. By taking the actions listed below, you can fix Uplay unable to start your download with ease:
1. Open Uplay Client, search for an entry in the Start menu, and click on the first available result.
2. Select the Games option and view the list of games installed.
3. Right-click on the game you want to check and select the Properties option from the drop-down menu.
4. Click on the Verify files option and wait until it scans.
Also Read: How to Fix Uplay Fails to Launch
Method 7: Rename Game Folder
It is a fairly simple method of manipulating the system. You may change the name of the folder where the game will be installed to trick the Uplay client into thinking the game hasn’t yet begun downloading and force them to do so. The Uplay client will then detect it and begin downloading the game if you change the name back to the original one. Follow the steps mentioned below:
1. Open Task Manager and click on Details.
2. Select Uplay.exe and click on the End Task button.
3. Access the location of the Game installation folder.
4. Right-click on the game and select the Rename option.
5. Open Uplay to redownload the game, give it a new name, and click the Download button.
Method 8: Eliminate DNS and Reset TCP/IP
If you are still facing issues with Uplay, you can always try and eliminate the DNS and try and reset the TCP/IP, and check if it resolves your problem. An excessive quantity of DNS might make it difficult to run the application. Therefore, it is often a good idea to clear the DNS. The following are the steps to clear the DNS:
1. Launch the Command Prompt and right-click on it and select the Run as administrator option.
2. On the Administrator Command Prompt, enter the ipconfig/flushdns command.
3. Hit Enter and type in netsh int ip reset.
4. Again, hit Enter.
Method 9: Utilize Google DNS Address
The Ubisoft unable to start download code 17006 error message on the Uplay application might be brought up by the DNS address. You can only solve this issue by changing your DNS settings from the default address to Google. You may accomplish this goal by taking the actions listed below:
1. Access Control Panel and select the Network and Sharing Center option.
2. Choose the option to Change adapter settings.
3. Right-click on Network Adaptor and select the Properties option from the drop-down menu.
4. Within This connection uses the following items section and select the Internet Protocol Version 4 option.
5. Further, click on Properties and tick the Use the following DNS server addresses box.
6. Insert 18.104.22.168 as the Preferred DNS Server and 22.214.171.124 as the Alternate DNS Server.
7. Click on Validate settings upon exit and hit OK.
Also Read: Fix Ubisoft Connect Not Working
Method 10: Modify Download Directory
It is highly likely that your application does not have all the permissions it requires to operate seamlessly or the Uplay client might be declining to utilize the current folder. There is only one solution to overcome the unable to start download error Uplay issue is by changing the default installation folder location. Follow the steps mentioned below to alter the location:
1. Open the Uplay Client folder on your desktop and click on the Menu button.
2. Select Settings and open the Downloads tab.
3. Click on the Change option beneath the Default game installation location and change the location.
Method 11: Turn Off Antivirus
An antivirus application may get rid of any flaws in a system that might be affecting the software. The situation might, unfortunately, possibly turn out differently, with the mistake being the result of your antivirus software. Check to see whether the antivirus software you downloaded interferes with the application resulting in unable to start download error Uplay. If so, follow the steps mentioned below to shut down Antivirus:
Note: It could be necessary to swap out your present antivirus software for one that interacts with applications more cordially.
1. Open Settings and select the Update & Security option.
2. Click on Windows Defender and access Windows Defender Centre.
3. Select Virus & Threat protection settings.
4. Toggle off Real-time protection.
Method 12: Reinstall Uplay
It’s conceivable that the preceding implementation was faulty, or that the Uplay connection contents were irrevocably damaged. The only alternative left is to remove Uplay and then reinstall it on your machine. Reinstalling the application will take care of all of the aforementioned problems. Follow these instructions to reinstall the software on your device:
1. Access the Control Panel and choose the Uninstall a program option.
2. Search for the Ubisoft Game launcher folder and click Uninstall.
3. After deleting, reinstall the application by accessing the Ubisoft Connect website again.
Method 13: Get Assistance
If everything else fails, you should as a final option look for expert assistance. It’s conceivable that the fault got spurred forward by various factors or that it was beyond the scope of a few straightforward remedies. When in a significant problem or predicament, it is always wiser to receive proper assistance. You can get your issue reported and receive guidance from Ubisoft Help on how to overcome it.
We hope that this guide was helpful and you were able to fix the unable to start download error on Uplay. Let us know which method worked for you best. If you have any queries or suggestions then feel free to drop them in the comments section below.