Uplay is a digital distribution platform similar to Steam that contains various multiplayer games such as Assassin’s Creed and other well-known titles. The problem of Uplay, not starting occurs with every Windows update and persists till the company releases a new update. However, in this guide, we’ll go through all the reasons why Uplay fails to launch Windows and how to fix Uplay fails to launch.
- How to Fix Uplay Fails to Launch
- Why Uplay Launcher Is Not Working?
- Method 1: Run Universal C Runtime
- Method 2: Clear Uplay Local Cache
- Method 3: Launch Uplay through its Shortcut
- Method 4: Run Uplay in Compatibility mode
- Method 5: Perform Clean Boot
- Method 6: Update the Graphics driver
- Method 7: Reinstall Uplay to fix Uplay Fails to Launch
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How to Fix Uplay Fails to Launch
Why Uplay Launcher Is Not Working?
The most common reasons that Uplay fails to launch on Windows include:
- Third-party services conflict
- Missing .DLL files
- Conflict with Antivirus software
- Corrupt cache
- Incorrect Compatibility settings
- Outdated Graphics drivers
- Corrupted Uplay installation files
Method 1: Run Universal C Runtime
When you install Uplay, it automatically installs all of the prerequisites on your computer. However, there are times when some of these are overlooked because either they already exist on your device or a failure occurs during installation. Universal C Runtime is one of the most important external files for Uplay. You can install it as described below:
1. Download the Universal C Runtime for the Windows OS version on your computer from the official website of Microsoft.
2. Run the Universal C Runtime installer with administrator privileges. Right-click on the .exe file and select Run as administrator.
3. Finally, restart your PC to save changes and launch Uplay.
Method 2: Clear Uplay Local Cache
As previously stated, Uplay stores all temporary configurations in a local cache on your machine. These configurations are retrieved from there and loaded into the app whenever Uplay is launched. However, on countless occasions, the cache gets corrupted, and Uplay fails to launch. In this method, you will learn to clear the Uplay cache:
1. To open the File Explorer, press Windows key + E.
2. Go to the following address: C:\Program Files (x86)\Ubisoft\Ubisoft Game Launcher\cache
3. Delete the cache folder’s entire contents.
Restart the computer again and run Uplay.
Also Read: Fix Uplay Google Authenticator Not Working
Method 3: Launch Uplay through its Shortcut
If Uplay won’t launch on Windows 10, another option is to run it straight through the shortcut. If this technique works, try launching the game from Uplay Shortcut next time onwards.
Note: If a dependency was not installed, you’d be notified, and the download process will start.
Method 4: Run Uplay in Compatibility mode
Many users reported that starting Uplay in compatibility mode worked wonderfully, and launcher issues were solved. This led us to conclude that Uplay fails to launch on Windows due to some faulty Windows OS upgrades. Follow these steps to run it in compatibility mode:
1. Navigate to the Uplay installation directory on your PC.
2. Right-click on the Uplay.exe and select Properties from the right-click context menu.
3. Switch to the Compatibility tab.
4. Checkmark “Run this program in compatibility mode for” and choose the appropriate OS version.
5. To save your changes, click the Apply followed by OK.
6. Restart the computer and enjoy Uplay.
Method 5: Perform Clean Boot
In this method, you will disable all services, excluding system services, and then run Uplay. Thereafter, we will activate each service individually to discover which one is causing the issue.
1. Open the Start menu and search for System Configuration.
2. Go to the Services tab in the System Configuration window.
3. Check the box beside Hide all Microsoft services.
4. Disable all by clicking the Disable all button.
5. Now go to the Startup tab and click on the Open Task Manager link.
6. Disable all the apps in the list. This will prevent them from starting when the computer is booting.
7. Now, you will be prompted to restart. Make sure to restart your PC to perform a clean boot.
To start individual services to troubleshoot the issue, follow this guide here.
Method 6: Update the Graphics driver
If the graphics drivers on your PC are not up to date or have gotten corrupted, this could be one of the most obvious reasons why Uplay fails to launch. Graphics drivers are the most important components of any gaming engine, including Uplay. If the drivers aren’t functioning properly, Uplay launcher will either not run or run very slowly and result in freezing.
1. First, press the Windows + R keys together to open the Run box.
2. Type devmgmt.msc in the box and hit Enter to access the Device Manager,
3. Expand Display Adapters from the list available in the Device Manager window.
4. Right-click on your Graphics card and select Update driver.
5. Once done, restart your PC to save changes.
Method 7: Reinstall Uplay to fix Uplay Fails to Launch
If none of the previous techniques work and you still can’t get Uplay to launch, you can try reinstalling the complete game engine from the ground up. If any installation files were corrupted or went missing the first time, they would now be replaced.
Note: This method will also erase all of your game installation files. It is advised to create a backup for these before implementing this method.
1. Open the Run box by pressing Windows + R keys together.
2. Type appwiz.cpl in the box and hit Enter. The Application Manager window will open now.
3. Search for Uplay in the Programs and Features window. Right-click on Uplay, then select Uninstall.
4. Now go to the official Uplay website and download the game engine from there.
Once the game is downloaded, install it and run it. You will now be able to use Uplay glitch-free.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Did Ubisoft replace Uplay with Ubiconnect?
Ubisoft Connect will soon be the home for all Ubisoft in-game services and activities. This will cover all gaming platforms too. Starting October 29, 2020, with the launch of Watch Dogs: Legion, every feature of Uplay was revamped, enhanced, and unified into Ubisoft Connect. Ubisoft Connect is only the beginning of Ubisoft’s commitment to making cross-platform functionality common in the future, geared for the next generation of games and beyond. This includes titles like Assassin’s Creed Valhalla.
- Fix Application has been blocked from accessing Graphics hardware
- How to Block or Unblock Programs In Windows Defender Firewall
- 4 Ways to Update Graphics Drivers in Windows 10
- Fix Microsoft Teams Keeps Restarting
We hope that this guide was helpful and you were able to fix Uplay fails to launch issue. Let us know which method worked for you best. If you have any queries/comments regarding this article, then feel free to drop them in the comments section.