Messing with Windows is not recommended, be it with Registry, Windows files, App data folder etc. as it can lead to serious issues within the Windows. And one of such issues which you face when you try to run games or any 3rd party application or even Windows settings is the following error message:
This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel.
Most of the affected users cannot right-click on desktop, open display settings or personalize, can’t open cmd or double click, can’t use Folder option, etc. So now you see how serious this issue is, you won’t be able to perform day to day task smoothly if you are facing the above error. Anyway, without wasting any time, let’s see how to actually fix this issue with the below-listed troubleshooting guide.
Table of Contents
This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action [SOLVED]
Make sure to create a restore point just in case something goes wrong.
Method 1: Registry Fix
1. Press Windows Key + R then type regedit and hit Enter.
2. Navigate to the following registry key:
3. Right-click on lnkfile and select New > String Value.
4. Name this string as IsShortcut and press Enter.
5. Now navigate to the following registry value:
6. Make sure you have highlighted command key and the right window pane double click on (Default).
7. Type the following in the Value data field and click OK:
8. Close Regedit and reboot your PC to save changes.
Method 2: Run the Troubleshooter
If the above method didn’t fix the issue, it’s best to run this troubleshooter and follow the on-screen instruction to fix This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.
Method 3: Add Your User Account Into Administrator Group
1. Press Windows Key + R then type lusrmgr.msc and hit Enter.
2. Click on Group and then double-click on Administrators to open the Properties window.
3. Now, click on Add in the bottom of the Administrators Properties window.
4. In the Enter the object names field type your username and click Check Names. If it’s able to verify your username, then click OK. If you don’t know your username, then click on Advanced.
5. In the next window, click Find Now on the right-hand side.
6. Select your username and click OK to add it to the Enter the object name field.
7. Again click OK and click Apply followed by OK.
8. Reboot your PC to save changes.
Method 4: Create a New User Account
1. Press Windows Key + I to open Settings and then click Accounts.
2. Click on Family & other people tab in the left-hand menu and click Add someone else to this PC under Other people.
3. Click, I don’t have this person’s sign-in information in the bottom.
4. Select Add a user without a Microsoft account in the bottom.
5. Now type the username and password for the new account and click Next.
Method 5: Use System Restore
1. Press Windows Key + R and typesysdm.cpl then hit enter.
2. Select the System Protection tab and choose System Restore.
3. Click Next and choose the desired System Restore point.
4. Follow the on-screen instruction to complete system restore.
5. After reboot, you may be able to Fix This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.
Method 6: Run CCleaner and Malwarebytes
1. Download and install CCleaner & Malwarebytes.
2. Run Malwarebytes and let it scan your system for harmful files. If malware is found, it will automatically remove them.
3. Now run CCleaner and select Custom Clean.
4. Under Custom Clean, select the Windows tab and checkmark defaults and click Analyze.
5. Once Analyze is complete, make sure you’re certain to remove the files to be deleted.
6. Finally, click on the Run Cleaner button and let CCleaner run its course.
7. To further clean your system, select the Registry tab, and ensure the following are checked:
8. Click on the Scan for Issues button and allow CCleaner to scan, then click on the Fix Selected Issues button.
9. When CCleaner asks “Do you want backup changes to the registry?” select Yes.
10. Once your backup has completed, click on the Fix All Selected Issues button.
11. Restart your PC to save changes.
Method 7: Run DISM (Deployment Image Servicing and Management) Tool
1. Open Command Prompt using the above method.
2. Enter the following command in cmd and hit enter:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
2. Press enter to run the above command and wait for the process to complete; usually, it takes 15-20 minutes.
NOTE: If the above command doesn't work then try on the below: Dism /Image:C:\offline /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\test\mount\windows Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\test\mount\windows /LimitAccess
Note: Replace the C:\RepairSource\Windows with your repair source (Windows Installation or Recovery Disc).
3. After the DISM process is complete, type the following in the cmd and hit Enter: sfc /scannow
4. Let System File Checker run and once it’s complete, restart your PC.
- Fix Pin to Start Menu Option is Missing in Windows 10
- Fix Pin to Taskbar Missing in Windows 10
- How to Fix Monitor randomly turns OFF and ON
- Fix Unable to Delete Temporary Files in Windows 10
That’s it you have successfully Fix This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action but if you still have any questions regarding this guide then feel free to ask them in the comment’s section.