Undoubtedly, Windows OS stands as a pillar of reliability and efficiency. However, occasional errors may arise, hinting at the complex workings beneath the surface. One such occurrence that leaves users concerned about its origin and implications is the PerfNet Error with Event ID 2004. In today’s article, we will discuss in depth what is PerfNet, what causes Event ID 2004, and how to fix the error on Windows 10 PC.
Table of Contents
How to Fix PerfNet Error Event ID 2004
PerfNet (Performance Network) is a part of the Windows Performance Monitor System that plays a role in the performance monitoring and reporting of network-related activities. It enables administrators & users to monitor statistics related to network activity and resource usage. These metrics include network bandwidth utilization, data transfer rates, and network errors, which help users troubleshoot network issues, optimize its performance and identify potential bottlenecks in the network infrastructure.
In some instances, users encounter PerfNet-related errors, which indicate there is an underlying irregularity with the network performance data collection and monitoring. These errors are usually recorded with specific Event IDs, such as Event ID 2004 (Unable to Open the Server service performance object).
To fix the error, Uninstall Ivoclar Digital app. If it does not help, follow the steps below to Restart the server, and then set it to Automatic:
1. Press Windows key + R to launch the Run dialog box. Type services.msc in the text field and press Enter.
2. Right click on Server and choose Properties from the menu. Set the Startup Type to Automatic.
3. Click on Stop under Service status and then on Start.
4. Once the service re-launches, click on Apply.
Let’s look at the possible causes of the error and further fix it.
What Causes PerfNet Error Event ID 2004
The following could be the reasons why Windows Event Viewer displays PerfNet Error Event ID 2004:
- Ivoclar Digital app is incompatible with .NET Framework
- Conflicting third-party
- Improper configuration of Server service
- Mobsync DLL incorrectly registered
- Outdated GPU drivers
- Corrupt system files or bugs
Here are a few methods that can help you fix the PerfNet Error with Event ID 2004:
Method 1: Uninstall Ivoclar Digital app
As we know, one of the most common factors that lead to this error is an incompatible .NET Framework caused while developing the app. Moreover, constant failures from the developers to avail updates and security patches to .NET security exploit within the app have tended Microsoft to block its installation on Windows 10 PCs.
1. Press Windows key + R, to launch the Run dialog box.
2. In the text field, type in appwiz.cpl command and click on OK.
3. Now, in the Programs and Features menu, scroll down to find the problematic app published by Ivoclar Digital.
4. Right-click on it and choose Uninstall. Follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall it completely.
5. Restart the PC and check if the PerfNet Error Event ID 2004 issue has been resolved or not.
Method 2: Uninstall the Conflicting App via Clean Boot
If the last method did not help to particularly identify the culprit, you can try to reboot the PC in Clean Boot mode. This ensures that Windows starts with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs, excluding third-party applications and services. You can further pinpoint the conflicting software and isolate it. Follow our guide on Perform Clean boot in Windows 10.
Check if the error is resolved while the PC is in clean boot mode. If yes, find out the conflicting app and uninstall it.
1. Follow the path: Control Panel > Programs > Programs and Features.
2. Now, right-click on the problematic app and click on Uninstall.
Method 3: Restart Server and Set it to Automatic
If there has been any improper modification in certain Server service settings that depend on the main Server service, this could result in PerfNet Error Event ID 2004. Follow the steps mentioned below to resolve this:
1. Press Windows key + R to launch the Run dialog box.
2. Enter services.msc in the text field and hit Enter.
3. Navigate down to Server and right-click on it. Choose Properties from the context menu.
4. Set the Startup Type to Automatic.
5. Under Service status, first click on the Stop button. Once the service stops, click on Start.
6. Click on Apply after the service re-launches.
7. Lastly, return to the Event Viewer and check the error log reports for any new occurrence of the Unable to Open the Server service performance object error.
Also Read: 22 Best MMO Wireless Gaming Mouse
Method 4: Register mobsync.dll File
An unregistered DLL (Dynamic Link Library) file, usually the mobsync.dll (Microsoft Synchronization Manager) also triggers this issue. You need to re-register the same via the elevated Command Prompt. Follow the steps mentioned below:
1. Press Windows Key + R.
2. In the Run dialog box, enter cmd and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter.
3. Click on Yes to grant admin access.
4. In the elevated Command Prompt, type the command “regsvr32%systemroot%\system\mobsync.dll”/u and press Enter.
This will re-register the mobsync.dll file.
5. Once the command is successfully processed, close the Command Prompt and check the Event viewer.
Method 5: Update GPU Drivers
If you have been experiencing stutters and audio issues when the PC renders resource-demanding applications like using video editing applications or playing games, it might be possible that you’re dealing with an outdated GPU. Follow the guide on 4 Ways to Update Graphics Drivers in Windows 10.
Method 6: Reset Windows Update Components
As you reset the Windows Update Components, all the service and related components are reset to their default settings. This would clear any corrupted files, fix update-related errors, reset the update history, and may also re-register required DLL files. Follow our guide on How to Reset Windows Update Components on Windows 10.
Method 7: Restore PC
Lastly, if ther PerfNet Error with Event ID 2004 still persists, we suggest you to run a system restore on your Windows PC. This would revert the PC to the System Restore Point and resolve all sorts of system errors and software conflicts that could be causing the issue.
Note: This method works only if the device has system protection turned on.
1. Press the Windows key, search for sysdm.cpl, and press Enter.
2. Go to the System Protection tab and click on the System Restore… button.
3. Select the Restore point before the occurrence of the error.
4. Now follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
Recommended: How Much Memory Does Windows 10 Use?
That brings us to the end of our guide on how to fix PerfNet error Event ID 2004 on Windows. If you have any queries, or suggestions for us, do let us know in the comments section. Stay connected to TechCult for solutions to such tech-related issues.