Developed and published by Blizzard Entertainment, the first-person shooter game, Overwatch 2 features a diverse cast of new characters and playstyles. While it brought significant changes over its prequel in terms of visual improvements and a story mode in the game, one thing that gamers wanted to hear about is whether it supports cross-platform functionality. If yes, how to set up and play Overwatch 2 cross-platform? We will discuss all about it in this blog.
Is Overwatch 2 Cross-Platform?
Overwatch 2 is available on Windows, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, PlayStation 4/5, and Nintendo Switch and yes, it supports cross-platform play. This means, there are no barriers; you can enjoy the game together effortlessly with players globally across different setups.
While the classic Overwatch, unfortunately, doesn’t support cross platform play, recognizing the high demand placed, Blizzard introduced the same with the release of Overwatch 2.
How to Setup Cross-Platform for Overwatch 2
While crossplay is already enabled in Overwatch 2, you need to make sure that your console account is linked to your Battle.net account. If you do not have a Battle.net account, create one. Once created, follow the steps:
1. In Battle.net, click on your account name at the top-right corner.
2. Select Account Settings from the drop-down menu.
3. Move to the Connections tab, and in the CONNECTED ACCOUNTS pane, click on +CONNECT next to Xbox network, Nintendo, or PlayStation Network.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions no two link both accounts.
5. Navigate to the Overwatch 2 main menu, scroll down, and select Social.
6. Click on the Add A Friend button and enter their Battle.net account name, i.e., tag or email address, and click on SEND REQUEST.
Once they accept your request, they’ll be added as your friends and you can crossplay Overwatch 2 with them.
How to Play Cross-Platform on Overwatch 2
You can crossplay on Overwatch 2 once you’ve got it all set up and connected with your friends. Here are some additional tips to improve your experience:
- Enable Voice chat: Make sure to use voice chat for effective coordination with your team. Most platforms have built-in voice chat features, or you can opt for third-party apps like Discord.
- Adjust in-play settings: Adjust your aim sensitivity and other settings to match the controller experience of your console teammates.
- Party Up strategically: PC players might have an aiming advantage, but console players are often good at movement and positioning. A balanced mix can be a strategic powerhouse!
How Does Crossplay Work in Overwatch 2?
In Overwatch 2, you can play crossplay in Quick Play, Arcade, and Custom game modes. However, Competitive Play is an exception as crossplay functionality is not enabled for this mode.
- If you’re playing on a PC, teaming up with a console player in the same party, you’ll be limited to non-competitive games like Quick Play.
- For matchmaking, any group with a mix of PC and console players will automatically be placed in the PC pool. Console players won’t have access to the aim assist feature, as it’s disabled to ensure a level playing field in Overwatch 2 crossplay.
Also Read: How to Take Screenshot on Overwatch
Does Overwatch 2 Support Cross-Progression?
Yes, Overwatch 2 supports cross-progression and all the data is securely stored on your Battle.net account. This includes everything – from your favorite skins and achievements to other cosmetics and even your competitive rank. Moreover, even if you switch between platforms, you wouldn’t have to worry about losing any data.
Recommended: Is Borderlands 2 Cross Platform
Now that you know whether Overwatch 2 is cross-platform, what are you waiting for? Go and play with your friends and have even more fun. If you have any queries or suggestions for us, do let us know in the comments section. For more gaming tips, tricks, and guides, keep visiting TechCult.