Privacy and security are top concerns when it comes to social media. Platforms like Instagram strive hard to keep up with it, in the process of which they often trigger unexpected actions. Recently, many users raised this issue where Instagram is found to be randomly blocking their followers. Now it might seem unlikely at first, as typically, IG does not block someone on their own, without the user’s consent. So, why are you facing this problem? Well, there could be specific reasons for it, which we will address in this article, and also go through the solutions to fix this. Let’s begin!
Why is Instagram Randomly Blocking Followers?
Who wouldn’t want their followers to stay connected and engaged with their content? However, when someone is blocked from your Instagram account, they won’t be able to view your posts or stories, nor will they be able to interact with you.
Now if you did not voluntarily initiate the action and still find them to be blocked, here are a few possible reasons that could be causing it:
- Technical Glitches
- Software Bugs
- Unauthorized Access or Account Hacked
- Use of Third-Party Apps
Now that we have an idea about the potential causes, let’s resolve the issue.
Tip: Check and make sure that they have not deleted their Instagram account.
Method 1: Update Instagram, then Device
Outdated apps are often susceptible to bugs and glitches. In the past multiple users complained that all of a sudden they started to notice a regular unusual drop in their followers count, which was nothing but a bug. We suggest you first update Instagram, and then the device as well.
1. Open the Google Play Store and search for Instagram.
2. Tap on the Update button.
3. Now to update the device, open Settings.
4. Tap on Software update, followed by Download and install.
5. If there’s an update available, tap on Download to download it.
6. Restart the device to install it successfully.
Method 2: Relogin on Instagram
It might be issues with the login process or account authentication which is why IG is blocking someone from your account on its own. Logging out of your account and logging in again might help. Follow the steps below:
1. Open Instagram and tap your profile picture at the bottom right corner.
2. Tap the three horizontal lines icon at the top-right corner and select Settings and privacy.
3. Scroll down and tap on Log out <username>.
4. Once logged out, enter the credentials and Log In again.
Observe if this has resolved the issue.
Method 3: Log Out of Instagram Account from Other Devices
Have you logged in to your Instagram account on multiple devices or someone else’s phone or PC, maybe your friend or family? If so, there are high chances of someone using your account and blocking people, without your information. You can log out of your account from all devices, reset the active sessions, and pause any such unusual activity tied to it. Follow the steps:
1. Navigate to the Settings and privacy menu on Instagram.
2. Tap on Accounts Centre, followed by Password and security.
3. Tap on Where you’re logged in.
4. Select your Instagram account.
5. You will see all the devices where you’re currently logged in. Scroll down and tap on Select devices to log out.
6. Select all the devices individually and then tap on Log out.
7. Tap LOG OUT in the confirmation pop-up to log out from that device.
8. Now Log In to the current device and check if the error is fixed.
Method 4: Change Your Instagram Login Password
It is crucial to keep your Instagram password updated in order to prevent cyber threats such as unauthorized access or prevent it from being hacked. Once you’ve logged out of all the devices and logged in to the current one, it’s time to change the password. Moreover, if anyone has been blocking your Instagram followers randomly will not be able to log in to your account again. Follow the steps below:
1. Open the Instagram app and navigate to the Settings and privacy menu.
2. Tap on Accounts Center and then on Password and security.
3. Tap on Change password.
4. Enter your Current password, New password, and then Retype new password.
5. Tap Change Password.
Method 5: Uninstall Suspicious Apps
Users often use third-party apps to gain more followers on Instagram and expand their reach. However, such apps usually require credentials and access to interact with your account, which poses multiple risks. As Instagram strictly prohibits the use of third-party applications, followers gained via such apps are blocked and removed. We suggest you uninstall such apps as that can also lead to suspension of your account.
Method 6: Report Problem
If the error still persists, you can report this to Instagram and reach out to the support team for help. They’ll investigate any other forms of issues that might be causing such activities in your account and help you resolve them. Follow the steps:
1. Open Instagram and navigate to the Settings and privacy menu.
2. Tap on Help, followed by Report a problem.
3. Toggle off Shake phone to report a problem and then, tap on Report a problem.
4. Tap on Include and continue.
5. Describe the issue, attach screenshots if required, and tap on Send at the top right corner.
Method 7: Reinstall Instagram
As a last resort, if none of the above-mentioned methods helped fix the error and IG is still blocking your followers on its own, we suggest you uninstall the app and reinstall it. Doing so would allow the app to clear out all old corrupt data files and load fresh ones, which potentially could fix the error.
1. Tap and hold on the Instagram icon in the app drawer.
2. Select Uninstall from the pop-up.
3. Once done, open the Google Play Store, search for Instagram, and tap on Install.
4. Log In to your account and check if the issue is resolved.
That is it! We hope our guide helped you understand why is Instagram randomly blocking followers and fix the error. If you have any queries or suggestions for us, do let us know in the comments section. Stay connected to TechCult for solutions to more such app-related errors.