Microsoft Word is one of the most popular document editing and formatting application software of MS Office suite where users can create and edit documents as they want. Sometimes, users find several resources in the PDF file influential for supplementing their work, research or writing, as users usually want to include the PDF within the Word document, particularly insert several pages of PDF files, to edit or collaborate with their writing. Inserting & combining PDF within Word document will become quite easy, only when you discover the suitable workarounds.
How to Insert a PDF into a Word Document
Method 1: Insert PDF into Word as an Image
One of the easy and perfect ways for inserting a PDF within a Word document is by inserting them as the image file format. Here in this article, there are 3 frequent ways explained for inserting PDF pages into Word as images.
Sub-method 1: Inset PDF into Word using Objects
Using this technique, you have to use your Microsoft Word and PDF document. As soon as you insert a PDF page, you can save this from within MS Word as an image or as a PDF doc. To do this –
Step 1: Open MS Word from the Start button or using Windows search.
Step 2: Then, switch to the “Insert” tab. Now, click on “Object”. You’ll see the “Object” dialog box will pop up.
Step 3: Then, switch to the “Create from File” tab and click on the “Browse” button & select the PDF file you wish to insert in the Word document. After choosing, click Insert/OK.
In situations where your PDF is having multiple pages, the window will pop up repeatedly requesting you to select all specific pages for inserting from the PDF file. Like, if you want to insert page 6, you have to just enter 3, click “Locate” and then “Insert”. For inserting numerous pages, the same step will be repeated to complete the process.
Sub-method 2: Taking screenshots of each page in PDF and then insert it in Microsft Word
Another very simple and clear-cut procedure will allow you to smoothly insert any pages from the PDF to your Word file.
Step 1: Open your PDF file that is having the page(s) you want within your Word file.
Step 2: Navigate to that particular page and take a screenshot of that. For Mac users, press Shift+Command+4. For Windows users, we can use the built-in “Snipping Tool”. But you can also employ any other app for the screenshot which you prefer.
Step 3: In Microsoft Word switch to the “Insert” tab then click “Pictures” & select your screenshot which you have clicked just now. Finally, click on the “Select” button. Repeat the process for inserting several PDF pages into Word.
Sub-method 3: Converting your PDF pages to images & then inserting in Ms-Word
There are a different widespread means for inserting PDF pages within your Microsoft Word as pictures. This is by converting your PDF page into PNG, JPEG or any other formats. Then insert it within your Word document. Let us see how:
Step 1: First of all, take a ‘PDF to Image’ converter for turning PDF pages to images. For this, you can make use of “Cisdem PDF Converter OCR” or famous Adobe Acrobat, Zamzar or any other applications for converting PDF to high-quality images. Once the conversion is done, save those images on your PC.
Step 2: Now open MS-Word application on your system. Then, go to “Insert” > “Picture” & choose the saved images from your secondary storage (hard drive).
Step 3: Now click on the Select button. For inserting multiple PDF pages into Word as images, you have to repeat the procedure multiple times until all the required pages are inserted.
Here are some pros and cons of insert PDF into Word as an image.
- Easy to implement
- More than 1 ways existing
- The amount or size of your Word document can end up being huge.
- It is a time-consuming as well as a tedious task.
- PDF pages could come into view as blurry at what time they are inserted into Word.
Also read: How to Set Background Picture for Microsoft Word.
Method 2: Another most significant approach of inserting PDF into Word (Editable, Multi-Page)
In case you wish to insert a PDF having multiple pages into Word & edit on the inserted PDF, in that case, the most proficient means is to use a PDF-to-Word converter. An excellent PDF to Word converting app may craft things easy and effortless for you by letting users preserve the same quality of layout, image, and format in the output file (i.e. in Word from PDF).
#1 Best application for inserting PDF into Word for Mac users
The “Cisdem PDF OCR Converter” for Mac users is a great tool for converting native and scanned PDF images into Word, Excel, PPTX, and other 16 different formats, keeping the preserving the actual quality of the file. Moreover, it’s extremely precise OCR performance enables users in searching, indexing as well as editing scanned PDFs more professionally. Steps to perform conversion are:
1. Run this application first.
2. Now, import single or several PDFs in this application by dragging & dropping the files.
Note: Set your page range & set your output as “Word”. Toggle on the OCR button “ON” as you desire for inserting your scanned PDF within Word file on Mac.
3. To get highly precise OCR outputs, go to the “Settings” icon. There, you can find all the contents automatically marked as Texts, Tables or Images in diverse colors, so that the user can recognize them accurately. Individually separating all of the parts usually help in recognizing different elements properly & make good formatting good of output.
4. Click on the “Convert” option for converting the PDF into the Word format.
5. Lastly, open the converted Word document in Microsoft Word and you will see your PDF in Word file on a Mac.
#2 Another famous Tool for inserting PDF into Word for Windows users
The “PDFMate PDF Converter Professional” is another popular & versatile PDF conversion application for converting native & scanned PDFs to Word/HTML/ePub/Text/Image formats.
1. Run the PDF Convertor app.
2. Import your PDF files in the program by clicking on the “Add PDF” button.
3. From the Output File Format section, select “doc”.
4. Click the “Convert” button for converting your PDF into Word format.
5. Open the Word file and you will see the conversion done successfully.
#3 Inserting PDF within Word with Adobe Acrobat
1. Open your PDF using Adobe Acrobat DC.
2. From the “Tools” menu, select “Export” PDF. Select the output as “Word”.
3. Now, click the “Export” button. This will export your PDF as a Word format.
4. Now, open your Word file in Microsoft Word. The PDF will get inserted within Word. It doesn’t matter whether your PDF file is of a single page or multiple pages.
5. For the earlier version of Adobe, you can select File > Save as Other > Word, then including the PDF within Word file.
#4 Insert PDF into Word Online Free
It may be a hectic task to install conversion software to convert PDF to Word. So, there are dozens of online software that can be used to convert your PDF document to Word file. One of the common software to implement is –
1. Open your favorite web browser then navigate to pdf2doc website.
2. Click the “Upload Files” button to upload your PDF file in this online service. It gives an option to convert 20 PDF files simultaneously. It’ll pop-up a dialog box where you have to choose your PDF file.
3. Wait for the PDF to Word conversion, and then download the Word file by click on the file.
These online converters are free & straightforward to use, with some drawbacks:
- It requires high internet bandwidth
- The quality of the file gets diminished
- There might be a risk of information leakage from the server of these online services.
Method 3: Insert PDF into Word without Converting
Sub-method 1: Inserting PDF into Word with MS. Word 2016
If you’ve purchased MS. Word 2016, you can straightforwardly insert a PDF within the Word file directly in 2 steps. This holds to insert numerous pages of PDF into word.
1. Launch Microsoft Word 2016
2. Go to the “File” menu > select “Open” for uploading the PDF you wish to insert. A dialog box will pop up
3. Click “OK” for inserting your PDF into Word document.
Here are 2 main issues when using this technique:
- As per Microsoft Word 2016, when users try inserting PDF within Word 2016, the program either stops responding or crashes for no reason.
- Users who use this technique have to be aware that the inserted PDF in Word document doesn’t preserve a perfect format structure concerning the layout, image quality, and format.
Sub-method 2: Insert PDF into Word in Google Docs
One more method of inserting PDF within your Word file without converting is with the use of Google Docs which is an online platform powered by Google which helps to edit, format and manage documents online and with ease.
1. Login to Google Account then navigate to Google Drive.
2. Click on the file then right-click and select Open to upload the PDF files or you can drag & drop PDF file.
3. Once uploaded, right-click on the PDF file to “Open with”> “Google Docs”
4. Now you will see your PDF opened in Google Docs which you can copy & paste in Word document from Google Docs.
5. After editing, save it as File > Download as > Microsoft Word.
6. Select your output location & save the Word file.
Using Google Docs is actually a good alternative for many users but it has disadvantages like:
- Require more than a few steps for finishing the inserting procedure
- High internet connection required
- You have to insert the Word file after opening PDF
- Format and layout needs to be adjusted manually
- Limitation of file size
Also Read: 5 Way to Extract Images from PDF File
I hope the above steps were helpful and now you will be easily able to Insert a PDF into a Word Document. But if you still have any questions regarding this tutorial then feel free to ask them in the comment section.