Social media has become the most integral part of our lives, and Instagram, in particular, is the most widely used networking platform. Everyone is connected with one platform, from celebrities to your friends to random strangers. You can message anyone, and so can they! Gone are the days when you could message someone and remain unsure whether they have read the message. Now people expect you to instantly reply or react to the messages/posts/reels/stories/memes that the other user sends you. But most days, you do not feel like answering them right back and are just curious to know what they have sent. And you have to keep finding ways to turn off read receipts on Instagram. Do not worry; we’ve got you covered! We will tell you what read receipts are and how to turn off Instagram read receipts and read Instagram messages without being seen.
Table of Contents
- How to Turn Off Read Receipts on Instagram
- What are Read Receipts?
- How to Turn Off Instagram Read Receipts?
- Can You Change Read Receipts on Instagram?
- How to Turn Off My Read Receipts on Instagram with An All-In-One Tool?
- Why are Instagram Read Receipts Gone?
- Can You Turn Read Receipts Off on Instagram If You Unread the Message?
- Do Read Receipts Work Both Ways?
How to Turn Off Read Receipts on Instagram
You will get to know how you can turn off read receipts on Instagram further in this article. Keep reading to learn more about it in detail.
What are Read Receipts?
Direct messaging on Instagram is one of the most common and preferred ways to communicate with people these days. Instagram allows you to not actually text and keeps the conversation going by sending memes, reels, and posts. When you share or send messages on Instagram, you anticipate quick and instant replies hoping to get the reaction you want from the person, or sometimes you prefer leaving some messages on reading and not replying to them instantly and taking your time to reply.
But Instagram understands the urgency and anticipation you or the sender might have, that is the reason they introduced the read receipts. It shows the person sending the message when you have read the message.
Also Read: How to Hide Messages on Instagram
How to Turn Off Instagram Read Receipts?
Okay, we know you came here looking for a solution to deceive people into believing you did not read the message because it does not show it to them when you cunningly already know what they texted you or shared with you. Most of the time, strangers message you, and when you open the chat and read Instagram messages without being seen. When you do not reply, they get to know about it and pester you about not texting them back till you are frustrated by them and block them.
We are sorry to tell you there is no permanent fix for disabling read receipts, but we are here to share our workaround methods. They might not turn off Instagram read receipts completely but will definitely help you buy some time before you have to text the sender of the message back.
Read through the methods below to temporarily turn off read receipts on Instagram and see what works best for you
Method 1: Restrict IG Account
Restricting an account basically means that you don’t block them and restrain from certain activities on your account. The person you restrict cannot see the read receipts, and if they comment on your posts only you and that restricted person can see those.
To restrict someone from your profile follow the steps given below:
Note: For both Android and iOS Instagram users.
1. Open the Instagram app on your phone.
2. Tap on the Profile tab.
3. From your profile screen, tap on Following.
4. Search for the desired account you want to restrict and tap on the desired result.
5. Tap on the three-dotted icon from the top right corner.
6. Tap on Restrict to restrict the person.
The process of restricting an Instagram account is the same as above for Instagram lite users.
Method 2: Turn on Airplane Mode and Log Out
We know this step sounds super complicated but believe us it is easy to follow to turn off read receipts on Instagram:
1. Open the Instagram app on your Android or iOS device.
2. Open the desired DM you want to see without being seen.
Note: Wait for the DM window to load completely.
3. Then, turn off Wi-Fi or Mobile data from the quick settings panel.
4. Next, turn on Aeroplane mode.
5. Read the message from the opened DM window.
6. After reading the messages, navigate to your IG profile.
7. Tap on the hamburger icon from the top-right corner.
8. Tap on Settings.
9. Finally, swipe down and tap on Log out to log out of your IG account.
Once you have read the message re-launch the app and log in, the messages you read won’t be marked as seen.
Also Read: How to Mark a Text Message as Unread on iPhone
Method 3: Disable Instagram Message Notifications
When you tap on the Instagram message notifications, it triggers Instagram to mark them as read receipts. When you tap on the notification, Instagram directly opens the chat. So the best option is to disable Instagram message notifications.
1. Launch the Instagram app and tap on the Profile tab from the bottom right corner.
2. Tap on the hamburger icon > Settings option.
3. Then, tap on the Notifications option.
4. Locate and tap on the Messages and Calls option.
5. Tap on the Off radio button under the Message Requests section, as shown.
Method 4: Disable Active Status
Turn off the Show Activity Status button it will disable the show when you are active together button. Both users won’t know when the other person is active on Instagram. This can also turn off the read receipts. Here are the steps to disable your Active status on Instagram.
1. Access your Instagram account and navigate to your profile.
2. Then, tap on Settings > Privacy.
3. Tap on Activity Status.
4. Turn off the toggle for the Show Activity Status feature.
Note: If the toggle button appears grey instead of blue, it indicates that you successfully used this feature.
Also Read: How to Turn Outlook Email Read Receipt On Off
Method 5: Read from Notification Panel
The easiest way to read messages without finding ways to turn off Instagram read receipts and not let the sender know you have read the message is to read it from the notification panel. You literally just have to swipe down the notification panel and read the messages.
Can You Change Read Receipts on Instagram?
Yes, you can definitely change read receipts, but there is no permanent way to do so you can only read Instagram messages without being seen temporarily.
How to Turn Off My Read Receipts on Instagram with An All-In-One Tool?
DMpro is the solution, it allows you to read your Instagram direct messages from your Email thus no headache of being marked seen in the chat of the person you don’t want to text back immediately.
Why are Instagram Read Receipts Gone?
If Instagram read receipts are not visible, it is probably due to Instagram glitches and will be fixed in no time. Because it is a highly liked feature so Instagram would not remove it, and there is no such method or fix to completely remove read receipts.
Can You Turn Read Receipts Off on Instagram If You Unread the Message?
No, seen will remain visible even if you mark an Instagram message unread.
Do Read Receipts Work Both Ways?
No, the read receipt is only sent by your device when it is turned on. It is shown differently to the users according to the time at which they saw the message.
- How Does EA Access Cancellation Work?
- Does Instagram Randomly Follow Accounts?
- How to Turn Off Seen on Instagram
- What is Vanish Mode on Instagram?
We hope that you learned about how to turn off read receipts on Instagram. Feel free to reach out to us with your queries and suggestions via the comments section below. Also, let us know what you want to learn about next.