Well, we all usually receive hundreds of emails daily, and they pile up over time. Be it promotional emails, spam, or updates, Gmail’s auto-archive feature offers a smooth way to organize your inbox and keep it clutter-free. However, there may be times when you might prefer a more hands-on approach to it. We’ll explain how to stop auto archive in Gmail in this article. Read more to find out!
Table of Contents
How to Stop Auto Archive in Gmail
When Gmail is allowed to auto-archive emails on behalf of a user, it automatically moves older emails to the All Mail folder. Even though it clears up the view, some prefer manually organizing for immediate access to important emails. Let’s do it then.
Downsides of Auto Archiving in Gmail
There are some potential downsides or disadvantages for which many users do not prefer this feature, such as:
- Missed Emails: Sometimes important emails might get accidentally buried in the All Mail folder. This leads to potential oversight and unwanted consequences.
- Delayed Responses: Archived emails are not labeled as Priority. When unnoticed, responses to emails might be delayed, which you surely wouldn’t want.
- Search Complexity: You may require more advanced search queries such as sender, subject line, or other details to find an archived email
- Increased Storage: Even archived emails eventually take up a lot of space, especially if attachments aren’t detached. You would eventually need to delete them or get storage space.
Can I Turn Off Auto Archive in Gmail?
Unfortunately, No, it is not possible to completely disable the auto-archive feature in Gmail. However, there is a workaround that can help you with that.
You can disable the Send & Archive option. This would prevent you from accidentally archiving messages when you reply to them. Moreover, you can manually retrieve them from the All Main folder.
1. Open Gmail and click on the gear (Settings) icon at the top-right corner.
2. Click on See all settings.
3. In the General tab, scroll down to the Send and Archive section.
4. Select Show “Send & Archive” button in reply.
Also Read: How to Backup Gmail
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. How long does Gmail keep archived emails?
Ans. Gmail keeps archived emails for an indefinite period unless you manually delete them.
Q2. Will deleting an email from the archive also delete it from my inbox?
Ans. Yes, when you delete an email from the archive, it will remove it from the inbox and send it to the Bin. From there, it would be deleted from there after 30 days.
Q3. Will archiving an email in Gmail remove it from search results?
Ans. No, archiving an email in Gmail will not remove it from search results. You can still find it using Gmail’s search function.
Recommended: How to Restore Deleted Draft in Gmail
We hope our article helped you stop auto archive in Gmail. If you have any queries or suggestions for us, do let us know in the comments box below. For more such tips and tricks, stay connected to TechCult.