If you are a regular WhatsApp user, you might have read a small message at the bottom that says “Messages are end to end encrypted.” What this means is that these conversations will be accessible only to you and the person you send them to. Unfortunately, on Facebook, this is not the default option which is why your conversations are open to anyone who wants to access them! But don’t worry, we have a solution! In this article, you’ll find out how to start a secret conversation that is end-to-end encrypted.
To begin, all you need is a thorough guide that elaborates on the different methods to achieve the target. This is exactly why we’ve decided to pen down a guide. If you’re ready, continue reading!
How to Start a Secret Conversation on Facebook Messenger
Reasons to Start a Secret Conversation
There are several reasons why one would want their conversations to be private. Some of them are as follows:
1. Sometimes the status of someone’s ill health should be protected. People might not prefer to disclose their health issues to other people. Since secret conversations are unavailable on different devices, hacking won’t be effective.
2. When your conversations take place in this mode, they become inaccessible even to the government. This proves how well protected they are.
3. One of the most important benefits of secret conversations is when you’re sharing banking information online. Since secret conversations are timed, they won’t be visible after the time duration is over.
4. Apart from these reasons, sharing private information such as identity cards, passport details, and other documents of high importance can also be protected.
After reading these plus points, you must be very curious about this mysterious feature. Therefore, in the subsequent sections, we will share a few ways of turning on secret conversations on Facebook.
Start a Secret Conversation through Facebook Messenger
As mentioned earlier, the option of having a secret conversation on Messenger is not available by default. This is why you have to switch it on before typing your messages with another user. Follow the given steps to begin a secret conversation on Facebook messenger:
1. Open Facebook Messenger and tap on your Profile picture to open the Settings menu.
2. From the Settings, tap on ‘Privacy’ and select the option that says ‘Secret Conversations’. Your device name, along with a key will be shown.
3. Now, go back to the chat section, select the user you’d like to have a secret conversation with and tap on their Profile picture then select ‘Go To Secret Conversation’.
4. You will now reach a screen where all the conversations will be between you and the recipient.
And that’s it! All the messages that you send now will be end-to-end encrypted.
Also Read: How To Deactivate Facebook Messenger?
How to Make your Secret Conversations Disappear
The best thing about secret conversations is that you can time them. Once this time duration expires, the messages also disappear even if the person hasn’t seen the message. This feature provides additional protection to the data that you share. If you want to time your messages on Facebook messenger, follow the given steps:
1. Head on to the ‘Secret Conversations’ by following the steps mentioned above, the secret chat box will be displayed.
2. You will find a timer icon right at the bottom of the box where you are supposed to type your message. Tap on this icon.
3. From the small menu displayed at the bottom, select the time duration in which you want your messages to disappear.
4. Once done, type your message and send it. The timer starts from the moment you press the send button.
Note: If the person has not viewed your message within the time duration, the message will still disappear.
How can you View Secret Conversations on Facebook
As mentioned above, regular chats on Facebook messenger are not end-to-end encrypted. Therefore you have to do it manually. However, finding secret conversations on Messenger is even simpler. One must note that secret conversations are device-specific. Therefore, if you have initiated a secret conversation on your mobile phone, you won’t be able to view these messages if you log in through your PC browser.
- Open Messenger as you normally would.
- Now scroll over to Chats.
- In case you find any message with a lock icon, you can fairly conclude that this conversation is end-to-end encrypted.
How do I Delete my Facebook Secret Conversations
- Open Facebook Messenger. Tap on your Profile picture and select Settings.
- When you open Settings, you will find an option that says ‘Secret Conversations’. Tap on this.
- Here you will find an option of deleting the secret conversation.
- Select this option and tap on Delete.
And you’re done! One must note that these conversations have been deleted from your device only; they are still available on your friend’s device.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. How can you tell if someone is having a secret conversation on Facebook?
You can tell that someone is having a secret conversation on Facebook by observing the lock icon. If you find the lock icon near any profile picture in the main chat menu, you can conclude that it is a secret conversation.
Q2. How do you find your secret conversations on Messenger?
Secret conversations on Messenger can only be viewed on the device on which they’ve been initiated. When you go through your chats and find a black clock symbol on any profile picture, you can say that this is a secret conversation.
Q3. How do secret conversations work on Facebook?
Secret conversations on Facebook are end-to-end encrypted. This means that this conversation will be available only to the sender and the recipient. One can easily switch it on in the settings menu.
Q4. Are Secret Conversations on Facebook Safe from Screenshots?
You might have come across a badge icon on people’s profile pictures on Facebook. This feature prevents anyone from taking screenshots. Unfortunately, the conversations on Facebook messenger, regardless of being end-to-end encrypted, are not immune to screenshots. Therefore, anyone can take screenshots of the secret conversation you’re having. Facebook is yet to improve this feature!
Q5. How to Switch Devices while having Secret Conversations on Facebook?
Secret conversations on Facebook cannot be retrieved on separate devices. For instance, if you have initiated a secret conversation on your android phone, you won’t be able to view it on your PC. This feature enhances protection. But you can always initiate another conversation on a different device by following the same steps. One must note that the messages that were shared on the previous device won’t be displayed on the new device.
Q6. What is a ‘device key’ in Facebook Secret Conversations?
Another key feature that helps to boost protection in secret conversations is the ‘device key’. Both the users involved in a secret chat are provided with a device key which they can utilize to confirm that the conversation is end to end encrypted.
- How to Ignore and Unignore Messages on Messenger
- How to Recover Deleted Photos from Facebook Messenger
- Fix Sorry there was a problem with your request on Instagram
- How to Disable ‘Video paused. Continue watching’ on YouTube
We hope this guide was helpful and you were able to Start a Secret Conversation on Facebook. Still, if you have any doubts then feel free to ask them in the comment section.