When an electronic device collapses due to conditions like malfunctioning, slow charging, or screen freeze, you are recommended to reset your device to solve such abnormal functions. Like any other device, Kindle Fire issues can also be restored by resetting them. You can either opt for a soft reset or a hard reset, or a factory reset.
A soft reset is basically similar to rebooting the system. This will close all the running applications and will refresh the device.
Factory reset is usually done to remove the entire data associated with the device. Hence, the device would need re-installation of all of the software afterward. It makes the device function fresh like that of a new one. It is usually carried out when a device’s software gets updated.
A hard reset is usually carried out when device settings need to be altered due to improper functionality. It deletes all the memory stored in the hardware and updates it with the latest version.
Note: After any reset, all the data associated with the device gets deleted. Therefore, it is recommended to back up all the files before you undergo a reset.
- How to Soft and Hard Reset Kindle Fire
- How to Soft Reset Kindle Fire?
- How to Soft Reset Kindle Fire HD and HDX (First to Fourth Generation)
- How to Hard Reset Kindle Fire?
- How to Hard Reset Kindle Fire (1st and 2nd Generation Models)
- How to Hard Reset Kindle Fire (3rd to 7th Generation Models)
- Method 1: Hard Reset using Settings & Password
- Method 2: Hard Reset Without Password
How to Soft and Hard Reset Kindle Fire
How to Soft Reset Kindle Fire?
When Kindle Fire freezes, the best way to sort this issue is to soft reset it. Follow the instructions given below to do so:
1. The first step is to turn Kindle Fire to OFF state by simultaneously holding the Power and Volume down buttons.
2. Once Kindle Fire is turned OFF, take your hand away from the buttons and wait for some time.
3. Finally, hold the Power button for a while to restart it.
Now, Kindle Fire is turned ON, and the soft reset of Kindle Fire is complete.
This is similar to restarting the device to fix minor glitches.
How to Soft Reset Kindle Fire HD and HDX (First to Fourth Generation)
1. Turn OFF Kindle Fire HD and HDX by pressing the Power button for about 20 seconds. Note: Ignore the prompts popping up on the screen while doing so.
2. Once Kindle Fire is turned OFF, release the button and wait for some time.
3. Finally, turn Kindle Fire ON by holding the Power button.
It is advised to opt for a hard reset only when the soft reset does not resolve it. Continue reading to learn how to hard reset Kindle fire.
How to Hard Reset Kindle Fire?
Before beginning the process for hard reset, it is highly recommended to:
a. make sure that all the data and media files are backed up. This will prevent the loss of data.
b. ensure that the device has at least 30% of battery charge left.
How to Hard Reset Kindle Fire (1st and 2nd Generation Models)
For 1st and 2nd Generation Models, a hard reset can be done in 5 simple clicks. Follow the steps mentioned below:
1. The first step is to click the gear icon and enter it into Settings.
2. Click the option called More…
3. Next, click on Device.
4. Here, click on the option titled Reset to Factory Defaults.
5. By clicking this, the following screen will display an option to Erase everything. Click on it.
Kindle Fire will enter the hard reset mode. Wait until the reset is complete. Check if Kindle Fire works fine now.
How to Hard Reset Kindle Fire (3rd to 7th Generation Models)
Method 1: Hard Reset using Settings & Password
1. The first step is to enter the Settings menu. It is made visible when you swipe down the screen from the top. Click on Settings as shown below.
2. Under the Settings tab, click to see Device Options.
3. Here, click on Reset to Factory Defaults. This will remove all personal data and downloaded content from your file.
4. When you click on it, a prompt will appear on the screen. It will ask you for confirmation to proceed with “Reset to Factory Defaults.” Confirm the prompt by clicking on the Reset button, as shown below.
5. When you click on Reset, the screen will turn OFF, and Kindle Fire will enter reset mode.
Wait for the process to finish and check if Kindle Fire works properly.
Also Read: How to Reset Your Android Phone
Method 2: Hard Reset Without Password
If you have lost or forgotten the lock screen password, you will not be able to access Kindle Fire and hard reset it through the settings option. However, you can hard reset Kindle Fire without a password by using the following steps:
1. The first step is to turn OFF Kindle Fire. This can be done by holding the Power button until you see a power OFF prompt on the screen. Confirm the prompt by clicking OK.
2. Hold the Power + Volume down buttons simultaneously after the device is turned OFF. After 10 to 15 seconds, the Amazon logo will appear on the screen.
If the Power + Volume down button does not work, try Power + Volume up buttons. The Amazon logo will be displayed now.
3. After some time, the logo disappears, and the Amazon System Recovery Screen will be displayed.
4. On this screen, you will see an option titled wipe data and factory reset. Navigate to this option by using the Volume down button.
5. Click on the wipe data and factory reset option by using the Power button.
6. On the next page, you will see an option marked Yes — delete all user data. Navigate to this option by using the Volume down button.
7. Click on the Power button to start a hard reset of Kindle Fire.
The screen will turn OFF after some time as Kindle Fire enters into reset mode. Wait for the process to get completed and check if Kindle Fire issues are solved. This method will be extremely helpful if you can’t remember your password.
- How To Hard Reset Any Android Device
- Fix Multiple Google Chrome Processes Running
- How to Hard & Soft Reset Roku
- How to Use Clubhouse on PC
We hope this article was helpful and you were able to Soft and Hard Reset Kindle Fire. If you have any queries, reach out to us through the comments section below.