Remote Desktop Connection is a feature of Microsoft Windows that allows users to control the remote computer over a network. This is done with Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP), a secure network communications protocol that helps in remote management. No, third-party software is required to access a computer over a remote connection. However, you will still need to enable RDP on both computers, as by default it is disabled by Windows and make sure that both the Computers are connected to the internet.
Now Windows 10 Home versions users cannot host an RDP connection over a network, but they still have the liberty to connect to Remote Desktop Connections. So without wasting any time let’s see How to Setup Remote Desktop Connection on Windows 10 with the help of below-listed troubleshooting guide.
- How to Setup Remote Desktop Connection on Windows 10
- Method – 1: Enable Remote Desktop for Windows 10 Pro
- Method – 2: How to Connect to your Computer using Remote Desktop Connection
- Method – 3: How to Connect to your Computer using Remote Desktop App
- Method – 4: How to Enable RDP on Windows 10 Home Versions
How to Setup Remote Desktop Connection on Windows 10
Make sure to create a restore point just in case something goes wrong.
Method – 1: Enable Remote Desktop for Windows 10 Pro
Note: On Windows 10 Home Edition this would not work.
1. Press Windows Key + Q to bring up Windows Search, type remote access and click on Allow remote access to your computer.
2. Under Remote Desktop, make sure to checkmark “Allow remote connections to this computer“.
3. Similarly, checkmark the box which says “Allow connections only from computers running Remote Desktop with Network Level Authentication(recommended)“.
4. Click Apply, followed by OK.
Method – 2: How to Connect to your Computer using Remote Desktop Connection
1. Press Windows Key + R then type mstsc and hit Enter to open Remote Desktop Connection.
2. On the next screen type the Computer name or IP address of the PC which you’re going to access and click Connect.
3. Next, type in the username and password for your PC and hit Enter.
Note: If the PC you are going to connect doesn’t have a password setup, you won’t be able to access it through RDP.
Method – 3: How to Connect to your Computer using Remote Desktop App
1. Go to this link then click Open Microsoft Store.
2. Click Get to install Remote Desktop App.
3. Once the installation is complete, launch the app.
4. Next, from the top click on Add button, then select Desktop. Type the name of the PC or IP address of the computer you’re going to access and click Connect.
5. Type in the username and password for your PC and hit Enter.
6. If you get a security warning, checkmark “Don’t ask me again for connections to this PC” and click Connect anyway.
7. That’s it, now you can start using the remote computer.
Method – 4: How to Enable RDP on Windows 10 Home Versions
To Enable RDP on Windows 10 Home Version, you need to download a third-party app called RDP Wrapper Library. Extract the content of the downloaded zip file and then run RDPWInst.exe from it, then run Install.bat. Now after that double-click on RDPConf.exe and you will be able to configure RDP easily.
- How to Change Mouse Pointer in Windows 10
- Fix Searchindexer.exe High CPU Usage
- How to Enable AHCI Mode in Windows 10
- Fix winload.efi missing or corrupt error
That’s it you have successfully learned How to Setup Remote Desktop Connection on Windows 10 but if you still have any queries regarding this post then feel free to ask them in the comment’s section.