When you set a Discord server to private, it’s not just about using technical settings. It’s a safe choice to make sure that the members on the server feel comfortable to exchange their thoughts. Learning how to make a server private on Discord gives us the ability to create spaces where real and meaningful conversations can happen. So, let’s see how to do so in this tutorial!
How to Make Your Discord Server Private
It is possible to make servers, channels, and categories private on Discord. You can set up a whole server, a dedicated section on an open server, or even just one exclusive channel when you want to build a community that is only accessible to members.
Before moving on to the steps, it’s important to understand the significance of creating a private Discord server.
- By enabling privacy, you gain control over who can access your server and channel.
- You can easily maintain an atmosphere where members can freely share their ideas and opinions.
To make your Discord server private on a PC, you need to be the server owner or administrator. Here are the steps you can follow:
1. Open the Discord app on your PC.
Note: Make sure you are logged into your account.
2. Right-click on the server’s name and select Server Settings.
3. Click on Roles from the left pane.
4. Click Default Permissions.
5. Turn off all permissions for @everyone.
6. Click on Save Changes to apply the changes.
This will stop anyone from inviting additional users to the service except you.
Also Read: How to Make an AFK Channel in Discord
How to Make a Discord Server Private on Android Mobile?
To make your Discord server private on mobile, you can follow the steps below:
1. Launch the Discord app on your phone.
2. Tap on the + icon from the left pane.
3. Tap on the Create My Own option.
4. Select the For me and my friends category.
Note: You can also select the For a club or community option, if applicable.
5. Customize your server settings, as desired.
6. To make the server private, go to the Roles tab and select the @everyone role.
7. Turn off all permissions, except View Channels.
8. Click on SAVE.
These steps will prevent anyone except you from inviting other users to the server, making it private.
Also Read: How to Make Someone Moderator on Discord
How to Make a Discord Channel Private on Android?
To make or set a Discord channel of a specific server private on Android, follow these steps:
Note: You need to have the Manage Channels permission to add a new channel to a server. This permission usually only lies with the Manager/Admin/Owner of the server.
1. Open the Discord app on your Android device.
2. Select the server that hosts the desired channel you want to make private from the left pane.
3. Tap and hold the target channel you want to make private until a menu appears.
4. Tap on Edit Channel from the menu.
5. Choose Channel Permissions from the list of options.
6. Turn on the toggle for the Private Channel option.
7. Tap on Yes to make the channel private.
Private Discord channels are perfect for having discussions with certain members or roles. This helps the server be moderated more effectively. Additionally, these channels can be used if users need to have private talks between themselves on the server for whatever reason.
Are Discord Servers Private by Default?
No, Discord servers aren’t private by default. When you create a server on Discord, you can choose to make it public or private. Private servers require an invitation from the owner or admin to join, while public servers can be joined by anyone with a link.
Are Private Discord Servers Completely Secure?
Not really. Private Discord servers are not completely secure. Platform’s trust and safety team can read sent private messages in public and private servers when investigating reports of a user.
Also Read: What Can Discord Server Owners See?
Once becoming aware of how to make your Discord server private, you can ensure that your conversations are secure and only accessible to the invited members. It’s like building a place where only trusted people can join, helping everyone feel more secure and honest when they talk. Drop your queries or suggestions in the comments, and keep visiting for upcoming articles!