Watchdogs are trained to guard a place from malicious activities. Similarly, behind the Windows PC reliability and security is also a crucial hardware or software component that monitors all the operations, the Intel Watchdog Timer. It ensures that the system remains responsive, and runs smoothly & error-free. Now, as a valuable asset for the PC, it’s important that the timer works unbothered, for which it needs updated drivers. In today’s article, we will explain to you how to download the Intel watchdog timer driver on Windows 10/11.
What is Intel Watchdog Timer Driver & How to Download It
Intel’s watchdog timer utility works by monitoring the system for potential issues and, whenever an issue is detected, it can trigger predefined actions. For example, in the event of a system hang or unresponsiveness, it can initiate a reboot to prevent system failures. Intel WDT allows Intel chipsets to recover from malfunctions. Let’s see how to download it.
Method 1: Via Offical Intel Download Center
Intel manufactures the Watchdog Timer and to make the process to keep the components updated, it allows users to download drivers from its official Download Center. Follow the steps below:
1. Launch the official website of Intel Download Center on any browser
2. In the search bar, search for Intel watchdog timer driver and press Enter.
3. Select Intel NUC Watchdog Timer Utility from the search results as shown below.
You might see a notification saying that the Intel NUC Watchdog Timer Utility has been replaced with Intel® NUC Pro Software Suite (NPSS) if you are running a new version of Windows.
4. Click on the hyperlinked Intel® NUC Pro Software Suite (NPSS) to continue.
5. Under Available Downloads, click on Download for Windows.
6. Tick the checkbox to accept the terms of the licensing agreement and voila, the driver will be downloaded.
Method 2: Use Device Manager
Device Manager is a Windows control center that allows users to view, update, and troubleshoot hardware components and drivers. You can use it to download the Watchdog timer driver. Follow the steps below:
1. Open Device Manager and expand the System devices tab.
2. Right-click on the System timer, and select Update driver from the context menu.
5. Select the Search automatically for updates option.
6. Now wait until Windows finds out the latest compatible driver, then follow the on-screen instructions to install it.
Method 3: Use Third-Party Software
If you find the above methods tedious and time-consuming, well, this third-party software called Bit Driver Updater can be your one-stop solution to update all the drivers on the PC.
Why Do You Need Intel Watchdog Timer Driver? What Does It Do?
The watchdog timer is an independent counter that increments on each clock edge regardless of the state of the main CPU. It can be configured to reset the machine if the count reaches a certain value. Additionally, it may immediately restart any instances of your apps that have crashed while logging the activity for debugging. The reliability and stability of computer systems are its primary responsibilities. Here are some of its functions:
- Continuous System Monitoring: It keeps an eye on the CPU activity, system responsiveness, and the performance of critical activities on the PC.
- Detection of System Hangs: It identifies programs that are not responding or have stopped working.
- Automatic System Reset: When the watchdog timer detects any system hang or freeze, it resets the system. As a fail-safe mechanism, this reset stops the system from going completely disconnected.
We hope our guide helped you download the Intel Watchdog timer driver. If you have any queries or suggestions for us, do let us know in the comments box below. Stay tuned to TechCult to find solutions to such tech-related issues.