Overwatch is a team-based multiplayer game that has been very famous in recent days. There are 30 heroes in the game with unique fighting styles, and the entire team aims to acquire control points in the match. You can access this game on several platforms where you can engage yourself in a competitive online battle. However, you also may face Overwatch crashing issues during launch, which can be resolved by the troubleshooting steps discussed in this article. So, continue reading!
Table of Contents
- How to Fix Overwatch Crashing on Windows 10
- Basic Troubleshooting
- Method 1: Use High-Performance Power Plan
- Method 2: Disable Fullscreen Optimizations
- Method 3: Update Overwatch Patches to its Latest Version
- Method 4: Update Graphics Drivers
- Method 5: Reset Graphics Driver Settings
- Method 6: Uninstall Razer Chroma SDK (If Applicable)
- Method 7: Repair or Uninstall Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package
- Method 8: Scan for Errors in Drive
- Method 9: Defragment and Optimize Drives
- Method 10: Use Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
- Method 11: Repair Corrupt System Files
- Method 12: Repair Overwatch Game Files
- Method 13: Disable Overlay Settings (For Discord)
- Method 14: Update Windows
- Method 15: Reset Game Settings
- Method 16: Contact Overwatch Support
- Pro Tip: Avoid Overheating
How to Fix Overwatch Crashing on Windows 10
Here are some troubleshooting methods to fix the said problem. The methods are arranged according to the severity and impact level of the issue. Follow them to attain the best results to solve Overwatch crashes on launch problem.
Before trying the advanced troubleshooting steps, you are advised to ensure the compatibility of the game and the system by following the basic troubleshooting steps as discussed below.
- Ensure your system meets at least minimum specifications to enjoy the uninterrupted service of Overwatch. Refer to the table listed below.
|Minimum Specifications||Recommended Requirements|
|Operating System||Windows 7/8/ 10; 64-bit (latest Service Pack)||Windows 7/8/ 10; 64-bit (latest Service Pack)|
|RAM||At least 4 GB of RAM||At least 6 GB of RAM|
|CPU/Processor||Intel Core i3/AMD Phenom X3 8650||Intel Core i5/AMD Phenom II X3|
|Storage Space||30 GB or more accessible storage||30 GB or more free storage|
|Display Resolution||At least 1024 x 768p screen resolution||At least 1024 x 768p screen resolution|
|GPU||Intel HD Graphics 4400/ATI Radeon HD 4850/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460||ATI Radeon HD 7950/NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660|
- Run the program as administrator since few game features can be launched only with administrative rights.
- Close all background applications consuming high CPU resources by using the Task Manager.
- Run an antivirus scan to check if any malware is preventing you from launching the game.
- Perform a memory test and ensure that your RAMs are working correctly. You can use the MemTest86 tool to run this test.
- Sometimes, an Windows Firewall may prevent you from accessing the game, considering it a threat. You can allow the game in Windows Firewall.
- Open your game in Windowed mode and change the display resolutions of your Desktop screen. This may help you fix the issue within a few clicks.
- Navigate to display settings of the game to turn off V-Sync, G-Sync, and FreeSync features and check if the issue is resolved.
- Finally, avoid overclocking to fix Overwatch not launching or crashes on launch issues.
- Also, set your GPU configurations to default settings to prevent the issue altogether.
If you did not get any fix by following these basic troubleshooting methods, then you can jump into the advanced troubleshooting solutions listed below to fix Overwatch crashes on launch problem.
Method 1: Use High-Performance Power Plan
You can also optimize your computer for games when you set your settings to a high-performance power plan. These power plans are developed to manage the power settings on portable settings. Follow the below-mentioned instructions to use high-performance power plan settings in your system.
1. Right-click on the Battery icon on the Taskbar and select Power Options.
2. Now, select the High performance option as highlighted in the pic below.
Now you have optimized your system for games and better performance.
Method 2: Disable Fullscreen Optimizations
If full-screen optimization is enabled in your system, you may encounter game crashes often. Disable the full-screen optimization to prevent the problem and launch the game now.
1. Right-click on the Overwatch launcher file and select Properties.
2. Go to the Compatibility tab.
3. Here, check the box for Disable full-screen optimizations.
4. Finally, click on Apply and then OK to save the changes.
Check if you have fixed the issue.
Also Read: 5 Best FPS Counter For Windows 10
Method 3: Update Overwatch Patches to its Latest Version
Any bugs in the game can be fixed by updating it. Thus to resolve Overwatch crashes on launch issue, follow the below-mentioned steps to its latest version as discussed below.
1. Open the Blizzard Battle.net app and go to Overwatch > Options.
2. Now, click on Patch Notes as shown below and check for updates.
3. If there are updates available, follow the on-screen instructions to update the game
Now, relaunch the game to check if Overwatch crashes on launch problem is solved.
Note: If there are no patches available for update, try the rest of the methods discussed in this article.
Method 4: Update Graphics Drivers
Try updating the drivers to the latest version by following the given steps to fix Overwatch crashing problem.
1. Click on Start, type device manager, and hit the Enter key.
2. Double-click Display adapters to expand it.
3. Right-click on video driver (e.g. Intel (R) UHD Graphics) and choose Update driver as depicted below.
4. Next, click on Search automatically for drivers as shown.
5A. If the drivers have been updated already, it shows The best drivers for your device are already installed.
5B. If the drivers are outdated, then they will get updated automatically. Lastly, restart your PC.
Also Read: Fix Graphics Card Not Detected on Windows 10
Method 5: Reset Graphics Driver Settings
If you have changed the settings of the graphics driver intentionally or unknowingly, the altered graphics settings will interfere with the Overwatch game, thus leading to Overwatch crashing issue. Accordingly, reset your graphics driver settings to resolve the same.
Option 1: For Intel Graphics Driver
1. Firstly, right-click on an empty space in your Desktop.
2. Select Intel HD Graphics Settings or Graphics Properties… option.
3. Now, select the 3D option as highlighted in the pic below.
4. Finally, Click on the Restore Defaults option.
Option 2: For AMD Radeon Drivers
1. Right-click on an empty space in your Desktop and select the AMD Radeon Settings option.
2. Now, click on the Preferences option. Refer to the pic below.
3. Finally, check the box for Restore Factory Defaults to reset graphics settings.
Option 3: For NVIDIA Drivers
1. Again, right-click on an empty space in your Desktop and select the NVIDIA Control Panel option.
2. Now, click on the Manage 3D settings option in the left pane.
3. Finally, click on the Restore Defaults option to reset the graphics settings.
Finally, check if you have fixed the issue.
Also Read: What is NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device Wave Extensible?
Method 6: Uninstall Razer Chroma SDK (If Applicable)
The primary reason for Overwatch crashing issues is Razer Chroma SDK. This enables effective communications of razer devices without the need for any additional drivers. Yet to ensure uninterrupted gaming service, you have to uninstall Razer Chroma SDK with the help of steps as discussed below.
1. Hit the Windows key, type apps and features, and click on Open.
2. Search for Razer Chroma SDK in Search this list field.
3. Then, select Razer Chroma SDK and click on the Uninstall button shown highlighted.
Note: We have shown uninstalling Origin as an example.
4. Click on Uninstall again to confirm the same and follow the on-screen instructions to finish the uninstallation process.
5. Finally, restart your PC.
Check if the issue persists or not. If it does, try the next solution.
Method 7: Repair or Uninstall Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package
Incorrect Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package may lead to crashing of the game. If you face any conflicts during the installation of this package, cancel the process and restart it again. Also, if you have installed the package incorrectly, then repair them manually to resolve the issue. Follow the given steps as listed below to fix the issue.
Option 1: Repair the Package
1. Press the Windows key, type control panel, and click on Open.
2. Set View by > Large icons and select Programs and Features.
3. Now, select Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package and click on Change as highlighted.
4. Now, click on the Repair button to repair the package.
5. Then, click on the Yes button in the User Account Control prompt and wait for the repair process to be completed.
Try repairing all other Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable packages by following the above steps.
Now, restart your PC and check if Overwatch crashing issue is fixed or not.
Option 2: Uninstall the Package
1. Navigate to Control Panel > Programs and Features as shown in the above method to repair packages.
2. Select the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable packages and click on Uninstall.
3. Click on the Yes button in the User Account Control prompt.
4. After uninstalling the package, restart your PC.
5. Now, check if you have fixed Overwatch crashes on launch issue.
If not then, try uninstalling other Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable packages by following the above steps.
Method 8: Scan for Errors in Drive
Sometimes, errors in hard disks might also contribute to the issue. Thus, you can perform a scan and sort out any errors, if any. Thus, find where your installation files are stored and scan the corresponding drive as instructed below.
1. Hit the Windows + E keys together to launch File Explorer and go to This PC.
2. Right-click on your Local Disk drive where you have installed Overwatch and select Properties.
3. Now, go to the Tools tab and click on the Check button for Error checking.
4. Now, select the Scan drive option in the Error Checking prompt.
5. Wait for the Scanning process to be completed and sort out errors if any.
Finally, check if you have fixed the issue.
If you do not find any errors, follow the rest of the methods discussed in this article.
Also Read: Fix Steam Stuck on Allocating Disk Space on Windows
Method 9: Defragment and Optimize Drives
If you do not use an SSD, the data on your hard drive gets fragmented over time and leads to performance loss and hence the game crashes. Therefore, you are advised to defragment your hard disk at least once a month to avoid such issues. Then, follow the below-mentioned steps to implement the same.
Note: Defragmentation of SSD (Solid State Drive) is not recommended. Perform the demonstrated steps to defrag the hard disk.
1. Hit the Windows key, type Defragment and Optimize Drives, and click on Run as administrator.
2. Now, select your drive and click on Analyze option to find if it needs to be Optimized.
Note: If the Analyze button is greyed out then, follow the below step to optimize the drive.
3. Click on Optimize option to optimize the drives.
4. Wait for the optimization report, then close the window and restart your PC.
Method 10: Use Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
The Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool is a free memory test program to ensure any issues with the system memory triggering Overwatch crashing issue. This tool is easy to use, and the system will be rebooted after sorting the errors. Follow the below-mentioned steps to use Windows Memory Diagnostic tool.
1. Click on Start, type Windows Memory Diagnostic and press the Enter key.
2. Click on Restart now and check for problems (recommended) option shown highlighted.
3. Now, after a restart, Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool will open up. Hit the F1 key to open Options.
4. Here, use the arrow keys to navigate to the Extended option and hit the F10 key to Apply and run the test.
Note: The Extended tests include all the standard tests plus MATS+ (cache disabled). Stride38, WSCHCKR, WStride-6. CHCKR4, WCHCKR3, ERAND, Stride6 (Cache disabled), and CHCKRS.
Several minutes will take to complete the memory test.
5. If any errors are reported, note down the errors to troubleshoot them accordingly and hit the Esc key to exit the tool.
6. Finally, after fixing the errors reported by Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool.
Now, check if Overwatch crashes on launch problem is solved or not.
Also Read: 7 Ways to Fix Computer Keeps Crashing
Method 11: Repair Corrupt System Files
If you have any corrupt files in your system, you will face Overwatch crashing issue, and thus to repair them, there are several ways suggested by tech experts. Yet, here is a simple method to repair corrupt Windows files.
1. Hit the Windows key, type Command Prompt and click on Run as administrator.
2. Click on Yes in the User Account Control prompt.
3. Type chkdsk C: /f /r /x command and hit Enter key.
4. If you are prompted with a message, Chkdsk cannot run…the volume is… in use process, then, type Y and hit the Enter key.
5. Again, type the command: sfc /scannow and press Enter key to run the System File Checker scan.
Note: A system scan will be initiated and it will take a couple of minutes to finish. Meanwhile, you can continue performing other activities but be mindful of not accidentally closing the window.
After completing the scan, it will show either of these messages:
- Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.
- Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
- Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
6. Once the scan is finished, restart your PC.
7. Again, launch Command Prompt as administrator and execute the given commands one after the other:
dism.exe /Online /cleanup-image /scanhealth dism.exe /Online /cleanup-image /restorehealth dism.exe /Online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup
Note: You must have a working internet connection to execute DISM commands properly.
Method 12: Repair Overwatch Game Files
You can clear corrupt gaming files by repairing the Overwatch game files, as shown below.
1. Launch the Blizzard Battle.net app.
2. Select Overwatch, then click on Options.
3. In the dropdown menu, click on Scan and Repair, as shown.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process and relaunch the game again.
Method 13: Disable Overlay Settings (For Discord)
Overlays settings will help you access third-party software and programs in your system during your game. But, these settings will trigger crashing issues too sometimes.
Here, the steps to disable overlays in Discord are explained.
1. Launch Discord PC Client and click on the Settings icon next to your Discord username.
2. Scroll down the left navigation pane and click on Game Overlay under the ACTIVITY SETTINGS section.
3. Switch Off the toggle for Enable in-game overlay to disable it, as shown.
4. Restart your system and open the game to check if Overwatch crashes on launch issue persists or not.
Note: Read our guide on How to Disable Steam Overlay in Windows 10
Method 14: Update Windows
If your Operating System is outdated then, you may have issues while playing games in your system. Follow the below-mentioned steps to update your Windows OS and fix Overwatch crashes on launch issue.
1. Press Windows + I keys simultaneously to launch Settings.
2. Click on the Update & Security tile, as shown.
3. In the Windows Update tab, click on Check for updates button.
4A. If a new update is available, then click Install Now and follow the instructions to update.
4B. Otherwise, if the Windows is up-to-date, then it will show You’re up to date message.
Method 15: Reset Game Settings
Unoptimized game settings will trigger more crashing issues, and thus if you did not get any fix by all the above-discussed methods, you could reset game settings as follows.
Note: When you reset the game settings, all the in-game settings will default values.
1. Launch the Blizzard Battle.net app.
2. Now, click on Blizzard Logo and select the Settings option from the list.
3. Here, navigate to GameSettings and select Reset In-Game Options as shown below.
4. Then, click on Done to reset the settings.
Now, relaunch the game and check if you face the issue again. If the issue persists then you can reinstall the game again.
Also Read: Fix Overwatch FPS Drops Issue
Method 16: Contact Overwatch Support
If you did not obtain any fix by the above-discussed methods, then you should contact Overwatch Support to solve the problem. The support team will analyze the exact reason for the issue and help you resolve the same.
Pro Tip: Avoid Overheating
Excessive overheating might also contribute to the poor performance of your game and your system. Overheating will damage the internal components and will slow down the performance of the system gradually. Here are some points you can follow to avoid overheating.
- Rest your computer in between long gaming hours.
- When there is debris clot around the fan, your system will not be appropriately ventilated, leading to overheating. So, you should maintain a well-ventilated setup.
- Constant overheating will wear down not only your graphics card but also your system. If you play for long hours and experience the high temperature of your system, then install better cooling systems.
- When your system is heated to the maximum temperature, the fans will spin with the highest RPM. Yet, the system may not be able to handle the heat. In this case, your GPU will develop a load of heat and leads to Thermal Throttling. You must use a dedicated graphics card to fix this issue.
- 6 Ways to Fix Netflix Error Code M7121-1331-P7
- How to Fix Origin Won’t Open on Windows 10
- How to Fix Roblox Error 279
- How to Fix Kodi Keeps Crashing on Startup
We hope that this guide was helpful and you could fix Overwatch crashing issue in your system. Let us know which method worked for you the best. Also, if you have any queries/suggestions regarding this article, then feel free to drop them in the comments section.