Imagine you’re watching a movie or holding a meeting on your Apple computer, and suddenly the Mac Mail app opens by itself. It can be really annoying. Many people come across this problem, but don’t worry! In this article, we’ll talk about different ways to fix the Mac mail app that opens itself randomly. So, stay with us and find out how to resolve it!
Table of Contents
How to Fix Mac Mail App Opens Itself Randomly
Dealing with interruptions caused by the Mac Mail app opening on its own can be quite frustrating. In this article, we will guide you on preventing it from launching automatically, giving you more control over your computer usage. Read on to understand the reasons behind this issue and explore possible solutions to resolve it.
To fix the Mac mail app from opening itself randomly, follow these steps:
1. In the Mail app, click on Mail.
2. Now, select Preferences.
3. In the General tab, change the Check for new messages option from Automatic to Manually.
4. Then, uncheck the box next to Prefer opening messages in Split View when in full-screen.
Why Does My Mac Mail App Opens Itself Randomly?
Understanding the reasons behind the random launching of the Mail app on your Mac is crucial to address the issue effectively. Here are some points that highlight the possible causes:
- A temporary glitch.
- Unimportant Email Accounts.
- An outdated software.
- Conflict with Third-party email.
- System Cache.
- Enabling features like launch mail app at login, power nap, split view, and Google Calendar Notifications.
Now that you are aware of the possible causes behind the random launching of the Mail app on your Mac, it’s time to explore the solutions.
Method 1: Minimize App
If the mail app on your Mac opens randomly then try to minimize it. You can do so by clicking on the orange-colored icon located in the top-left corner of the window. Besides that, you can also make use of the Command + H Keys to minimize the Mail app quickly. This is not a permanent fix, but it is an easy and fast way to pause the odd behavior of the Mail app.
Method 2: Force Quit Mail App
You can try force quitting this app to fix the Mac mail app launches itself randomly issue. When you do so, it closes that app and gives it a fresh start when you open it again. To learn how to force quit the mail app, follow the steps discussed below:
1. On your Mac’s keyboard, press and hold the Command + Option + Esc keys together.
2. After that, select the Mail app and then click on the Force Quit button to stop it from running on your device.
Method 3: Give Separate Desktop Space
You can also provide a separate desktop space to the Mail app to fix the issue:
1. First, launch Mission Control.
2. Now, create a new space by clicking on the Add icon located on the top right.
3. Next, drag the Mail app into it.
This should fix the issue.
Also Read: How To Sync Google Drive On Mac
Method 4: Remove Unimportant Email Accounts
Another method to resolve the Mac mail keeps popping up split screen issue is by removing the unimportant email accounts from the Mail app. To do so:
1. In the Mail app, navigate to Preferences.
2. Then, remove email accounts that are not important.
Method 5: Update Mac
If you have not updated your device to the latest version, then you can come across the Mac mail app opens itself randomly issue. So, in this case, update your Mac to resolve the problem and get rid of all the bugs and glitches.
When you upgrade your device to the latest software then you get access to the latest features, security updates, and more. To update it, check out the steps mentioned below:
1. First, navigate to System Preferences and click on the Software Update option.
2. Then, click on the Upgrade Now button.
Method 6: Verify Login Preferences
On Mac, you are given the choice to choose various apps that you want to launch by themselves when you log in to your device. So, if the Mail app also opens when you log in to your Mac, then you can check your login preferences to prevent Mail app from opening automatically. To do so, read the following steps:
1. Navigate to the System Preferences app on your device.
2. Following that, click on the User & Groups option.
3. Now, click on the Login Items tab and then ensure that the Mail app is not in the list of apps that open automatically at log in.
4. Then, restart your Mac and check if the Mac mail app opens itself randomly issue has been resolved.
Also Read: Top 20 Best Mac Clipboard Manager Apps
Method 7: Disable Close Windows When Quitting an App
Another method that you can adopt to fix the Mac mail app opens itself randomly issue is this one. To do so, abide by the steps mentioned below:
1. Start by launching System Preferences and click on the General option.
2. Then, check the box next to Close windows when quitting an app option to stop the applications immediately when you close it.
Method 8: Turn Off Power Nap
While your Mac is sleeping, the Power Nap feature checks for calendar notifications, new emails, and other iCloud updates. So, try disabling the Power Nap feature to prohibit the Mail app from running while your Mac is sleeping. To disable Power Nap, adhere to the given steps:
1. Open System Preferences on your Mac.
2. Now, click on the Energy Saver option.
3. Then, uncheck the box next to Enable Power Nap option to turn off this feature.
Method 9: Disable Split View
If you come across Mac mail that keeps popping up a split screen issue, then in such a situation disable the split view option on your Mac. This can help resolve this problem. To gain insights on how you can turn off the split view feature, check out the following steps:
1. Launch the Mail app on your Mac.
2. Next, click on Mail and then on Preferences from the menu bar.
3. Then, go to the General tab and after that change the Check for new messages option from Automatic to Manually.
4. Hereafter, uncheck the box next to Prefer opening messages in Split View when in full-screen option to disable this feature.
Method 10: Turn Off Google Calendar Notifications
You can also opt for this method to resolve the issue. Abide by the given steps to turn off google calendar notifications:
1. Log in to the Google Calendar by using your browser.
2. Then, click on the Gear icon located in the top right corner and now click on Settings.
3. Next, under Settings for My Calendar, click on your calendar name and then choose the Event Notifications option.
4. After that, click on the X icon to remove the scheduled email notifications.
5. Following that, go to the All-day Event Notification tab and repeat the procedure as given in Step 4.
6. Finally, navigate to the Other Notifications section and change the drop-down options from Email to None.
Method 11: Use Gmail App Password
The mail app on your Mac can sometimes not connect to your Google Account, this can be because of the two-factor authentication. This can cause the Mac mail app opens itself randomly issue whenever the connection is re-established. To fix this problem, adhere to the steps given below:
1. First, sign in to your Google Account by using the web browser. Then, click on Security on the side tab and select App Passwords.
2. Now, make an App Password for the Mac’s Mail app and then copy that to your clipboard.
3. Following that, launch the Mail app and go to Preferences. Now, from the Accounts tab remove your Gmail account.
4. Then, re-add the Gmail account.
Note: If you wish to reverse the App Password for the Mail app, then navigate to your Google Account and click on Security and select App Passwords.
Method 12: Boot in Safe Mode
If the above methods did not work for you then you can boot your device in safe mode. This method lets your Mac get rid of its system cache which might be causing the Mac mail app opens itself randomly issue. To boot in safe mode, follow the steps discussed below:
1. First, turn off your Mac completely.
2. Now, press the Shift key and then hit the Power button.
3. Consequently, hold the Shift key till the time your Mac boots up completely.
This wraps our article on how to fix the Mac mail app opens itself randomly. We hope after reading our guide you were able to resolve this problem. You can reach out to us with your suggestions and queries via the comments section below. Also, let us know what topic you want to learn about in our next article.