Kodi has become a popular choice for streaming entertaining content online, as it offers a range of features and customization options. This open-source media player is compatible with various platforms, allowing users to enjoy their favorite content seamlessly. However, encountering issues where Kodi suddenly stops functioning can be frustrating. One common problem is Kodi crashing during video playback on your device. In this article, we will delve into the causes of this issue and offer practical solutions to fix it.
Table of Contents
How to Fix Kodi Crashing During Video Playback
Kodi can randomly crash during video playback on your device. This can get in the way of your streaming experience. Depending on the reason why this issue occurs, we will explore some troubleshooting methods in the guide below to fix it. So, keep reading!
To fix Kodi crashing during video playback, enable update option as follows:
1. Open Kodi Settings and click on Add-ons.
2. Access the add-on you wish to update and click on the Versions tab to select the latest build.
3. Finally, enable Auto-Update.
Why Does Kodi Crashes on Playback?
When watching your favorite movie or series, what if the video crashes while playing? We know that there is nothing worse than a video crashing when playback. There can be many reasons why Kodi freezes during playback and some of the reasons, we have stated in this article. Have a look at some of the possible reasons for Kodi crashing during video playback:
- Poor Internet Connections
- Outdated or Incompatible Add-ons
- Outdated Graphics Driver
- Regional Restriction
- Storage Issues.
- Outdated Kodi App
- Glitches or Bug
- Issue with Device
To solve Kodi from freezing during playback, follow the methods mentioned below:
Method 1: Basic Troubleshooting Methods
To start with, we have some easy troubleshooting methods for you to try!
1A. Troubleshoot Internet Connectivity Issues
Often times the internet can be the cause of the issue, so, try to find a stable Wi-Fi before proceeding. To Troubleshoot Internet Connectivity, read out our guide.
1B. Restart App
Restarting the app can solve almost all temporary glitches and prevent Kodi freezes during playback. So, Exit Kodi and re-open it to solve the issue.
1C. Restart Device
If the above methods didn’t work out for you, you can go ahead and restart your device. In most cases, restarting the device can almost always solve the problem. To do so, read our guide on How to Restart or Reboot Device.
1D. Re-Login to App
If none of the above basic methods worked for you, try logging out of your Kodi account and re-logging in. There are chances that the account may exhibit some glitches as well.
We hope that the above-mentioned methods worked for you but if they did not, let us dive into some advanced methods instead.
Method 2: Update Add-Ons
Perhaps the first thing that comes to mind when Kodi freezes during playback is outdated add-ons. Sometimes the current add-ons on Kodi might not be compatible with your device. We suggest checking your add-ons for updates to ensure that you have the latest add-ons installed. Don’t know how to update your add-ons on Kodi? Here is how to do it to stop Kodi crashes on playback.
1. First, open your Kodi account and go to the Settings icon.
2. Now, click on Add-ons.
3. Access the add-on you wish to update.
4. Click on the Versions tab and select the latest build, if available.
5. Finally, go back to the previous page and enable Auto-Update.
Method 3: Disable Add-Ons
Kodi allows third-party developers to create add-ons for the platform which you as the users can install anytime. This very idea of introducing third-party creators throws light on compatibility problems. Disable each of your add-ons and restart your device and check if the crashing continues or not.
1. Open Kodi in your system and click on Add-ons in the left pane.
2. Click on My add-ons.
3. Click on All.
4. Scroll down and right-click the unnecessary add-on you want to uninstall.
5. Select Information.
6. Click on the Uninstall button at the bottom of the screen.
Method 4: Enable or Disable VPN
Using VPN might help you solve this problem of Kodi crashes on playback as the videos you are trying to watch might not be available in your region. So, using a VPN can help you disguise your geographical location hence solving the issue. To set up and use VPN on Windows 10, read out our guide.
On the other hand, VPN can be the reason why you have been experiencing the crashing. VPNs redirect the internet traffic through a proxy and imitate that you are from another location as compared to your actual one. However, this process has many flaws which don’t always let Kodi connect successfully. Therefore, you must disable VPN and Proxy with the help of our guide on How to Disable VPN and Proxy on Windows 10.
Method 5: Toggle Hardware Acceleration
In some cases, on some devices, turning on the hardware acceleration on Kodi provides better performance. However, there are some cases when your device might not be compatible with this feature or some other problems can occur if you enable the hardware acceleration.
If you want to check if toggling hardware acceleration on and off on Kodi to see whether it prevents playback freezes or not, then we have the guide for you.
1. Open the Kodi app and select the Settings icon.
2. Go to the Player tab and select Videos
3. Scroll down and toggle on Allow Hardware acceleration- MediaCodec option.
Also Read: How to Add Music to Kodi
Method 6: Update Graphics Driver
Kodi relies on the GPU for improved video playback, but outdated graphics drivers can hinder its connection with the graphics card, leading to freezing issues. To prevent Kodi from freezing, ensure you have the latest graphics driver updates installed on your Windows system. Have a look at it.
1. Press the Windows + X keys to access to the Quick Menu.
2. Now, click on Device Manager.
3. Expand the Display adapters option.
4. Now, right-click on your GPU and click on Update Driver and follow the prompts to continue with the process.
After updating your graphics driver do not forget to restart Kodi.
Method 7: Reinstall Kodi
If none of the solutions mentioned in the article worked for you, we recommend you reinstall Kodi. Reinstalling the app can help you with all the temporary glitches or files that may have gotten corrupted, causing Kodi to crash during video playback.
1. Press the Windows + I keys together to open Settings.
2. Click on the Apps option in the menu displayed.
3. Scroll down and click on the Kodi app.
4. Now, click on the Uninstall button.
5. Then, click on Uninstall in the pop-up.
6. Click on Yes in the prompt.
7. Click on the Next button in the Kodi Uninstall window.
8. Again, click on Next in the following uninstallation window.
9. Now, click on Uninstall and then Finish to complete the process.
10. Type %appdata% in the Windows search bar to open the Roaming folder.
11. Right-click on Kodi and select Delete.
12. Again, type %localappdata% in the Windows search bar to open the Local folder.
13. Right-click on Kodi and select Delete.
14. Restart the PC once you complete all the steps mentioned above.
15. Go to the Kodi download page and click on the Installer (64BIT) button as depicted.
16. Click on the downloaded installer file at the bottom of the window and follow the on-screen instructions to install Kodi.
Also Read: How to Install Kodi on Xbox Series X/S
Method 8: Contact Support Page
Unfortunately, if none of the above methods worked for you can go ahead and contact the Support page to help you out with Kodi crashing during video playback.
We hope that the methods mentioned in the guide have helped you out in fixing Kodi crashing during video playback. Let us know which method worked for you. If you have any more doubts or queries feel free to use the comment section and don’t forget to add your suggestions.