Do you find yourself all happy with your Desktop aesthetics and then suddenly you notice an icon that is blank and sticking out like a sore thumb? It is quite annoying, isn’t it? The issue with the Blank icon is nothing new and Windows 11 is not immune to this either. There could be many reasons behind this such as icon cache issues or outdated applications. Well, if you also get your OCD ticking seeing this blank icon ruining the whole vibe as I do, let me tell you that I understand your pain. Hence, we are going to fix blank icons in Windows 11.
How to Fix Blank Icons in Windows 11
There are multiple ways to fix blank icons on Desktop in Windows 11 depending on the cause behind it. We have listed the most common ways of troubleshooting this issue below.
Method 1: Manually Add App Icons
Follow the steps mentioned below to manually add missing app icon in the blank icon file:
1. Right-click on the blank icon and select Properties from the context menu, as shown.
2. In the Shortcut tab of the Properties window, click on the Change Icon… button.
3. In the Change Icon window, select your desired icon from the list and click on OK.
4. Click on Apply > OK to save these changes.
Method 2: Run DISM and SFC Scans
Here’s how to fix blank icons in Windows 11 by running DISM and SFC scans:
1. Press the Windows key and type Command Prompt. Click on Run as administrator to launch Elevated Command Prompt.
2. Click on Yes in the User Account Control prompt.
3. Type given commands and press the Enter key to scan & rectify issues in OS files:
- DISM /Online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /restorehealth
Note: Your computer must be connected to the internet to execute this command properly.
4. Restart your PC & open Elevated Command Prompt once again.
5. Execute SFC /scannow command, as depicted below.
6. Restart your computer.
Also Read: How to Pin Apps to Taskbar on Windows 11
Method 3: Restart Windows Explorer
Here’s how to fix blank icons on Windows 11 by restarting Windows Explorer:
1. Press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys together to open Task Manager.
2. Scroll down the list of active processes in the Processes tab and click on Windows Explorer.
3. Then, click on Restart on the bottom right-hand corner, shown highlighted.
Method 4: Clear Icon Cache
Another method to fix blank icons on Windows 11 is by clearing the icon cache. Follow these steps to do so:
1. Press Windows + E keys together to open File Explorer.
2. Click on View in the Menu bar.
3. From the list that appears, click on Show > Hidden items, as depicted below.
4. Type the following location path in the address bar and press the Enter key:
5. Scroll down and select the file named IconCache.db
6. Delete the file by pressing the Shift + Del keys together.
7. Click on Delete in the confirmation prompt and restart your PC.
Also Read: How to Change Desktop Icons on Windows 11
Method 5: Update Troublesome App
This cannot be stressed enough that you should keep all apps up to date, at all times, at all costs. Most of the issues that you face with any program can be resolved by a simple update. Updating the app depends on the application and the source of the app.
- If you installed the app from Microsoft Store, you can update it from the Library page of the Microsoft Store app.
- In case you installed the app using an installer downloaded from the internet, click the Update option in the app itself.
- Or, Download the update from the official app website and install the update manually like any other normal installation.
You can follow our article on How to Update Apps on Windows 11 for a more comprehensive explanation of the same.
Method 6: Reinstall Troublesome App
As quite obvious, all issues with an app can be rectified by reinstalling the said app. You can also do the same from Settings app, as follows:
1. Press Windows + X to open Windows 11 Quick Link menu.
2. Click Apps and features from the list.
3. Scroll through the list of installed apps and click on the three-dotted icon for the app that you want to uninstall. e.g. uTorrent.
4. Select the Uninstall option, as shown.
5. Click on Uninstall in the confirmation pop-up, as depicted.
- How to Disable Touchpad Gestures in Windows 11
- How to Block Windows 11 Update Using GPO
- How to Disable Notification Badges in Windows 11
- How to Debloat Windows 11
We hope this article helped you out with understanding how to fix blank icons in Windows 11. Send us your suggestions and questions in the comment section below.