The Windows operating system has taken the functionality of the Personal Computer to a completely different level. The Microsoft based OS is the most convenient, user-friendly and efficient operating system on the market. However, to install Windows on your PC, you need to have a product key, a 25-character code unique to every Windows system. If you are struggling to find the product key of your device, then your search ends here. Read ahead to discover how you can find your Windows 10 Product Key.
How to Find Your Windows 10 Product Key
Why Do I Need to Find My Windows 10 Product Key?
The product key of your Windows 10 device is what makes your operating system authentic. It is the reason behind the smooth functioning of Windows and helps you avail a warranty on your system. The product key can be necessary while reinstalling the Windows, as only an authentic code will make the OS function properly. Moreover, knowing your product key is always a plus point. You never know when your device stops functioning, and the product key is required to make it run again.
Method 1: Use the PowerShell Command Window to Find Your Key
Microsoft has made sure that the product key is not something you can accidentally stumble upon. It constitutes the entire identity of your device and is safely embedded into the system. However, using the PowerShell command window, you can retrieve the product key and note it for future reference.
1. Head down to the search bar next to the Start menu on your Windows device.
2. Search for PowerShell and open the Windows PowerShell applications.
3. Alternatively, on your desktop, hold the shift key and press the right-click button on your mouse. From the options, click on Open PowerShell window here to access the command window.
4. On the command window, type in the following code: (Get-WmiObject -query ‘select * from SoftwareLicensingService’).OA3xOriginalProductKey and then click enter to execute the code.
5. The code will run and will display the authentic product key of your windows operating system. Note down the key and keep it safe.
Method 2: Use the ProduKey App to Retrieve the Product Key
The ProduKey app by NirSoft is designed to reveal the product key of every software on your device. The software is really simple to use and helps you find the product key without putting your coding skills to test. Here’s how you can use the ProduKey to find your Windows 10 product key:
1. Go to the given link and download the ProduKey zip file onto your PC.
2. Extract the files and run the application.
3. The software will display the Product Keys associated with your Windows 10 and your Microsoft office.
4. The ProduKey Software can also be used to find the product key of Windows applications that are not booting up.
5. Pull the Hard disk out of a dead computer or take it to a professional to do it for you.
6. Once the hard disk has been removed, plug it into a working PC and run the ProduKey application.
7. On the top left corner of the software, click on File and then click on Select Source.
8. Click on Load the product key from external Windows directory’ and then browse through your PC to select the hard disk you just attached.
9. Click on Ok and the product key of the dead PC will be retrieved from its registry.
Method 3: Access the Windows Registry Using a VBS file
This method helps you specifically find the product key from the Windows registry and displays it in a pop-up window. Using the Windows registry is a slightly advanced method as it requires a huge amount of code, but that should not be a cause for concern as you can copy the code from here. Here’s how you can access the Windows registry and find your product key:
1. Create a new TXT document on your PC and copy-paste the following code:
Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell") MsgBoxConvertToKey(WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId")) Function ConvertToKey(Key) Const KeyOffset = 52 i = 28 Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789" Do Cur = 0 x = 14 Do Cur = Cur * 256 Cur = Key(x + KeyOffset) + Cur Key(x + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24) And 255 Cur = Cur Mod 24 x = x -1 Loop While x >= 0 i = i -1 KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) &KeyOutput If (((29 - i) Mod 6) = 0) And (i<> -1) Then i = i -1 KeyOutput = "-" &KeyOutput End If Loop While i>= 0 ConvertToKey = KeyOutput End Function
2. On the top left corner of the TXT document click on File and then click on Save As.
3. Save the file by the following name: product.vbs
Note: .VBS extension is very important.
4. Once saved, click on the VBS file and it will display your product key in a dialogue box.
Method 4: Check the Windows 10 Product Box and Other Related Documents
If you physically purchased the Windows 10 software, then chances are the product key is printed on the box that came with the operating system. Do a thorough examination of the box to ensure that there are no hidden product keys over there.
While you are at it, open the mail account you used to register on your Windows. Search for any emails you received from Microsoft. One of them could contain the product key for your Windows 10.
You can also try scouring through the documents you received with the product. This includes your bill, your warranty and other Windows-related documents. Microsoft is often very secretive about the product key and hides it with the documents used for purchase.
For older versions of Windows, the product key is often printed on a sticker placed beneath your PC. Flip your laptop around and go through all the stickers there, if there are any. Chances are one of them may contain your product key.
1. Contact the OEM: PCs that come pre-installed Windows usually have an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM). If they have stored the records of your purchase, then that manufacturer may have your product key.
2. Take it to a certified service centre: Regardless of what your PC has gone through, there is a high chance that the hard disk that holds your product key is still safe. A certified service centre may be able to help you find the product key. Make sure you take it to a trusted centre as some stores may use your product key for their own benefits.
3. Contact Microsoft: If none of the other options works, then contacting Microsoft becomes your only option. If you have an authentic version of Windows, then Microsoft will have your details stored somewhere. Their customer care service might use your Microsoft account and help retrieve the product key.
Finding the product key on your device can be a challenging task for many users. The precious nature of the code has caused Microsoft to keep the code very secretive and not make it easily available to the user. However, with the steps mentioned above, you can find the guarded key and retrieve your Windows OS.
- Find Windows 10 product key without using any software
- 3 Ways to Remove Audio from Video in Windows 10
- How to Delete Messages on Snapchat
- How to Change Your YouTube Channel Name
We hope that this guide was helpful and you were able to find your Windows 10 Product Key. If you still have any queries regarding this article, then feel free to ask them in the comments section.