Windows 10 has updated File Explorer in terms of Features as well as looks; it has all the functions which a novice user want. And no one ever has complained about File Explorer not matching the user expectation; in fact, users are quite pleased with it. The Search function on the top right in File Explorer is very useful for day to day work for any user and most of all it’s very accurate. Windows 10 user can type any keyword in the search bar in File Explorer, and all the files & folders matching this keyword would be shown in the search result. Now when a user searches for any file or folder with a specific keyword, that keyword is stored in File Explorer’s Search History.
Whenever you write the initials of your keyword, the saved keyword would be shown underneath the search bar, or if you search for something similar, it will show up the suggestion based on your past saved keywords. The problems come when these saved suggestions become too large to handle, and then the user wants to clear them. Thankfully File Explorer search history is pretty easy to clear. So without wasting any time let’s see How to Delete File Explorer Search History with the below-listed steps.
How to Delete File Explorer Search History
Make sure to create a restore point just in case something goes wrong.
Method 1: Using Clear Search History Option
1. Press Windows Key + E to open File Explorer.
2. Now click inside the Search This PC field and then click on the Search option.
3.From Seach option-click Recent searches and this would open a drop-down of the option.
4. Click on Clear Search History and wait for it to delete all your past searches keywords.
5. Close File Explorer and reboot your PC.
Method 2: Using Registry Editor to delete File Explorer Search History
1. Press Windows Key + R then type regedit and hit Enter to open Registry Editor.
2. Navigate to the following registry key:
3. Make sure you have highlighted WordWheelQuery in the left window pane and then right window pane you will see a list of numbered values.
4. Each number is a keyword or term you searched using File Explorer search option. You won’t be able to see the search term until you double click these values.
5. Once you have verified the Search term you could right-click on it and select Delete. In this way, you can clear the individual search history.
Note: When you delete a registry key a warning pop up will come up, click Yes to continue.
6. But if you want to delete the whole File Explorer Search History then right-click on WordWheelQuery and select Delete. Click Yes to continue.
7. This would Delete File Explorer Search History easily and save changes Reboot your PC.
- This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action
- Fix Microsoft Edge opens multiple windows
- Fix File Explorer Crashing Issue in Windows 10
- Fix Unable to Delete Temporary Files in Windows 10
That’s it you have successfully learned How to Delete File Explorer Search History but if you still have any questions regarding this guide then feel free to ask them in the comment’s section.