A projector is one such device that has been in use for a very long time and continues to be in use. Gradually, it has developed in terms of its compatibility and functions with the growth in technology. However, there is a wide range of types of projectors. Some are limited to PCs and laptops while others can be connected to phones and tablets. Have you ever tried connecting phone to projector? If not, then you can read this article to learn how to connect phone to projector via USB. You will also get to learn how to connect phone to projector without HDMI using wireless options.
- How to Connect Phone to Projector via USB
- Points to Consider Before Connecting Phone to Projector
- Method 1: Through USB Type-C to HDMI
- Method 2: Through USB Type-C to USB Type-C
- Method 3: Through HDMI to HDMI
- Method 4: Through MHL
- Method 5: Through USB-C to VGA
- How to Connect Phone to Projector Without HDMI
- How to Connect iPhone to a Projector via USB
How to Connect Phone to Projector via USB
Continue reading to know about the ways to connect phone to projector via USB in detail.
Points to Consider Before Connecting Phone to Projector
Before trying to connect your phone to a projector you must consider:
- If the projector is compatible with your phone.
- If Video output is supported on your phone.
- If a USB or HDMI port is available in your projector.
There are various ways to connect Android to projector. First, you will need to know if your phone is compatible with the projector. The best way to learn about it is to refer to the user manual of the projector. You can connect your phone either with a wire which is called an HDMI cable or without the HDMI cable. Further in the article, you will learn about how to connect phone to projector without HDMI. Now let’s look at the various ways in which you can connect Android to projector:
Method 1: Through USB Type-C to HDMI
USB type-C is the port that is standard equipped with the latest launches of Android phones. These ports are not just meant for charging, you can use this port with a USB-C to HDMI cable to connect your phone to the projector via USB. One of the limitations of using USB type-C is that you cannot simultaneously charge your phone while it is connected to the projector. In some cases, a USB port is only meant for charging. Therefore, you can also look for other ways to connect your phone to projector by further reading this article.
Method 2: Through USB Type-C to USB Type-C
USB type-C to USB type-C can be used when both phone and the projector have Type-c ports. It is one of the easiest methods provided you have the ports with the devices. With this type of cable, you can mirror your phone with the projector as well as simultaneously charge it. All you need to do is buy a USB type-C to USB type-C cable and insert it into the phone and projector. Once you do it, you will direct straight to the mirroring options on the screen.
Method 3: Through HDMI to HDMI
This is not a very commonly used kind of connection method. These are only used in cases when phones and tablets have mini or micro HDMI ports. Projectors either have a standard type-A port or multiple ports. All you have to do is find a suitable HDMI cable for your device.
Also Read: HDMI Port Not Working in Windows 10 [SOLVED]
Method 4: Through MHL
MHL (Mobile High-Definition Link) is a specially designed HDMI cable that uses a micro-USB port. The best part about this cable is that by being connected to the projector it simultaneously charges your phone. This can only be used when your projector supports an HDMI connection with MHL. You can always find a label next to it when a port supports MHL. This method comes in use when you run out of other options. A right cable is the only requirement provided you have the MHL supporting ports to carry out this method.
Method 5: Through USB-C to VGA
This method of connecting USB-C to VGA only applies to old projectors with a VGA port. For this, you will require a USB-C to VGA adapter and a VGA to VGA cable. The next step is to proceed by connecting the adapter and cable tour phone and projector. If available, you will have to turn on the VGA display port. The best part about USB-C to VGA adapter is that it can be used with Apple devices.
Also Read: How to change USB settings on Android 6.0
How to Connect Phone to Projector Without HDMI
Now that you have understood how to connect phone to projector via USB, let’s proceed further to understand How to connect phone to projector without HDMI. We have listed below the commonly used wireless methods of connecting phone to projector.
1. Through Wi-Fi Direct
Using Wi-Fi direct is one of the most convenient methods to connect an Android phone to a projector without HDMI. This method can only be applicable when your projector supports the connection of Wi-Fi direct. With some taps on your phone, you will be able to easily connect your phone without using any third-party apps. To begin, find the option Screen-Device mirroring. Follow the below-mentioned steps to connect your phone to projector with Wi-Fi direct:
Note: These steps may vary according to the device you are using. The following steps have been performed on POCO F4.
1. Open the settings on your phone.
2. Tap on Wi-Fi.
3. Turn on Wi-Fi.
4. Tap on Additional settings.
5. Tap on Wi-Fi direct.
Your phone will identify the available Wi-Fi direct devices available. Then tap when your projector appears and then you can easily connect your phone to the projector.
2. Through Chromecast
Chromecast is another option that helps you connect your phone to the projector without HDMI. Android devices come with built-in Chromecast programming. Some TVs and projectors do not have Chromecast. In such a case, you will have to buy a Chromecast adaptor. Chromecast adapters use HDMI input, hence it is compatible with most projectors that support HDMI input. For those projectors which do not support HDMI, you will need an additional adaptor. Set up method is similar to the way you connect your phone to a TV. Moreover, it can be used for various purposes like connecting your phone to other display devices like monitors and TVs.
You can visit our blog on to know about best free Chromecast apps that you can try to connect your devices.
3. Through Miracast
Miracast is another technology that can be used to connect a phone to a projector without HDMI. It works similarly to Wi-Fi direct. You can download and install the Miracast app from the Google Play store. Read more about it in our article Connect to a wireless display with Miracast in Windows 10.
4. Use Smart Ciew on Samsung Smartphone
As the name explains, this method of connecting a phone to a projector is only applicable to Samsung devices. It works similarly to Chromecast, Wi-Fi Direct, and Miracast. Once you turn on the smart view option, it will look for nearby screen mirroring or Chromecast devices. All you need to do is to make that screen mirroring option in your projector is turned on. Turn on the smart view option in your Samsung smartphone. You can follow the instructions prompted on your phone to connect with the projector.
Also Read: Fix Samsung TV plus not working
5. Use Manufacturer Apps
Using manufacturing apps is one of the last methods that can be used to connect Android to projector. These are the apps that are created by the manufacturers of the projector. However, these apps vary from projector to projector and manufacturer to manufacturer. Although there are some limitations like it does not allow you to mirror your entire screen but you can use it for presentations. Panasonic Wireless Projector, Epson iProjection, and Projector Quick connection are examples of manufacturer apps.
How to Connect iPhone to a Projector via USB
The above-mentioned were the methods of connecting an Android phone to a projector with and without HDMI. However, these methods do not work for iPhones. You will have to follow the below-mentioned methods to connect your iPhone to a projector:
- Authorized Apple cables: One of the ways to connect an iPhone to a projector is by using authorized Apple cables. You should not consider using any third-party hardware or software with Apple devices. Therefore, you can invest in an Apple cable that will enable you to connect your iPhone to the projector.
- Lightning to HDMI adaptor: A Lightning to HDMI adaptor is a must when you are trying to connect your iPhone to a projector that supports HDMI. This requires you to connect the adapter to the phone and the HDMI cable to the adapter and the projector.
- Airplay: Airplay is the only method that allows an iPhone to make a wireless connection with a projector. It works similarly to Wi-Fi direct and is an in-built feature. Hence, it does not involve the download of any third-party apps.
Also Read: Top 50 Best Free iPhone Apps
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What if a phone does not support both MHL and HDMI connection methods?
Ans. In such a case, it won’t be possible to make a wired connection. You can try to use wireless connection methods if your projector supports any. If not, you can buy an adaptor that equips with the HDMI port of your projector. This way you will be able to connect your phone to a projector.
2. How to identify what connection methods a projector is compatible with?
Ans. You can look for the following factors to identify compatible connection methods:
- Read the user manual: Every projector comes with a comprehensive guide that clearly explains its compatibility.
- Examine the ports: You can have a look through the ports available on the projector. Usually, they come with a label. The new projectors have both type-C and HDMI ports. Some only have HDMI ports while the oldest models of projectors have a VGA port.
3. Why am I not being able to connect my phone to a projector?
Ans. Some of the reasons that explain why you are not being able to connect your phone to a projector are:
- Both the phone and the projector are not connected properly.
- The cables and adapters are not plugged in properly.
- The cable and the adaptor might not be compatible.
- How to Install and Use AceStream
- Fix Boot Camp Assistant Not Enough Space Error
- Fix Computer Stuck on Lets Connect You to a Network
- Fix Windows PC Won’t Connect to TV
Connecting phone to projector is as convenient as we have the above-mentioned methods that have explained to you how to connect phone to projector without HDMI and with HDMI. Therefore, you must be aware of the types of cables and their compatibility before using one. We hope this guide helped you to find out how to connect phone to projector via USB. Please share your queries or suggestions in the comment section below.