Discord, the popular communication platform used by millions of gamers and communities worldwide, has recently announced that it will be asking all its users to change their usernames over the coming weeks. We know it would be hard to part ways with your favorite discriminator number but if you want to continue your journey on the platform it is compulsory to do so. In this guide, we will provide step-by-step instructions on how to change your username on Discord mobile, along with the new usernames and display names guidelines on Discord.
How to Change Your Username on Discord Mobile
Changing your username on Discord is a simple process, but it can be confusing if you’re not familiar with the platform. Whether you’re a seasoned Discord user or a newcomer to the platform, this guide will help you navigate the changes and update your username in no time.
Can We Change Discord Username
Yes, you can change your Discord username. Earlier you were allowed to change it every 30 days but with new guidelines, there is no such compulsion.
1. Open Discord and click on the Smiley icon or profile icon in the bottom right corner.
2. Click on Account.
3. Click on Username.
4. Write in the text box your new username and click on Save.
How to Change Discord Name on iPhone
If you are an iPhone user, you can follow these simple steps to change your Discord name.
1. Open the Discord application on your iPhone.
2. Next, tap on the Smiley icon present at the bottom right corner.
3. Click on Account.
4. Click on Username.
5. Write in the text box your new username and click on Save.
How to Change Your Username on Discord on PC
Change your Discord username on your computer with these simple steps.
1. Open Discord and click on the gear icon located in the bottom left corner of the screen to access your user settings.
2. In the User Settings menu, click on the My Account tab.
3. Click on the Edit button next to your username.
4. Type in your desired new username in the Username field provided.
5. Click on Done after entering your password.
Why Change Discord Username?
Discord is requiring all its users to change their usernames in order to implement a new system of identification that will improve the overall user experience. This new system includes a unique username and a freely assignable display name that can be changed at any time.
The current system, which includes a username and discriminator number, has caused confusion for many users and made it difficult for people to connect with friends and other users. This is because of the reason that it is pretty hard to remember that four-digit number.
By switching to this new system, Discord hopes to make it easier for users to connect with each other and share their profiles outside of the platform. Therefore, if you want to continue using Discord, you will need to change your username.
Also Read: How to Change Age on Discord
What are New Discord Usernames and Display Names Guideline?
According to the new usernames and display names guidelines below are some of the things you should keep in mind.
- Your alphanumeric username can only use lowercase letters (a-z), numbers (0-9), and two special characters (period and underscore). It must also be unique and without a discriminator.
- Your Display Name is highly customizable, allowing the use of special characters, spaces, emojis, and non-Latin characters, as long as it follows the Community Guidelines. You can change it as often as you like.
- Your default Display Name will be the same as your old username without the discriminator, so your friends can still recognize you.
- Your previous username and discriminator will still work as an alias after you switch to your new username, making it easier for old friends to add you.
- If you use a Server Nickname in a particular community, it will take priority over your Display Name in that server.
To sum up, if you’re a Discord user, you’ll need to change your username soon to comply with the new identification system. Fortunately, it’s a straightforward process that we’ve outlined above on how to change your username on Discord mobile. With the new rules, you can now have a customizable display name and make it easier to connect with other users.