Streets of social media platforms such as Instagram can often feel too trafficky, where everyone’s vying for your attention. Amid the multitude of messages and notifications, it’s natural to yearn for a quiet corner. It’s time to put a stop sign on those unsolicited messages from your nosey neighbor. In today’s article, we will explain to you how to block unknown direct messages on Instagram. Follow along to find out!
How to Block Direct Messages on Instagram
Instagram’s DMs feature is the backstage pass to your private conversations on the platform. You can chat one-on-one with your friends and followers, share photos, videos, and even posts away from the spotlight of the feed. Now, as conversations build up, occasionally things might also get messier. We’ll help you take charge and control the same.
You can Block or Restrict the user if you do not want to receive messages from them. If not, you can disable messages from your followers.
1. Open Instagram and tap the three horizontal lines icon at the top right corner of the profile page.
2. Tap on Settings and privacy, followed by Messages and story replies.
3. Tap on Message controls and select Your followers on Instagram.
4. Choose the Don’t receive requests option and tap on Update Settings.
Method 1: Disable from Message Controls
Instagram understands the need for personal space. Hence, there are multiple message control settings that can help you restrict messages on the platform. Let’s go through the ways.
Method 1.1: Disable Messages from Instagram Followers
If you do not want to receive messages from your followers on Instagram, follow the steps below:
1. Open Instagram and move to your profile page.
2. Tap the three horizontal lines icon, followed by Settings and privacy
3. Select Messages and story replies.
4. Tap on Message controls, followed by Your followers on Instagram.
5. Choose Don’t receive requests and tap on Update Settings in the pop-up to confirm.
Once done, your followers won’t be able to send you messages unless you follow them.
6. Now go back and tap on Others on Instagram and choose Don’t receive.
Method 1.2: Disable Messages from Facebook Friends on Instagram
Instagram lets users link their Facebook account to it, which also enables them to log in to Messenger. If you have linked both accounts but wish to disable Message requests from your friends and followers on the former, follow the steps:
1. Navigate to the Settings and privacy menu on Instagram.
2. Tap on Messages and story replies, followed by Message controls.
3. Now tap on Facebook friends or people you’ve chatted to on Messenger.
4. Select Don’t receive requests, followed by Update Settings.
5. Similarly change the settings to Don’t receive requests for Friends of friends on Facebook and Others on Facebook.
That’s it! Now your Facebook friends and followers would not be able to send you messages.
Tip: If you do not want people to add you in random group chats, tap on Who can add you to groups in the same menu and choose Only people you follow on Instagram.
Method 2: Turn Off Story Replies
Story replies are one of the usual ways for people to initiate a conversation with someone over the platform. However, you can disable it. Follow the steps below:
1. Open Instagram and move to the Settings and privacy menu.
2. Tap on Messages and story replies.
3. Tap on Story replies and select the Don’t allow story replies option.
Alternatively, you can also create a private story on Instagram to attract only selected views and replies.
Method 3: Block User
If you do not want to change your message settings for everyone on Instagram, but only want to stop certain users from interacting with you or viewing your content, it’s better to directly block them. Follow the steps below:
1. Open Instagram and navigate to their profile.
2. Tap on the three dots icon at the top-right corner and select Block.
3. Tap on Block to confirm.
Also Read: Why Did My Ex Unblock Me on Instagram?
Method 4: Restrict User
Instagram provides a feature for users to Restrict anyone on the platform, which helps them limit the interaction without outright blocking the other individual. When you restrict someone, they can’t see when you’re active or when you’ve read their DMs. Follow the steps below:
1. Open Instagram and navigate to their Profile.
2. Tap the three dots icon at the top right corner and select Restrict.
Method 5: Mute Contact
Now if it isn’t possible for you to block or restrict direct messages from an individual from the platform, you have the option to mute their messages. Doing so will silently deliver their messages to you without even bothering you. However, make sure to make your Instagram profile look offline, else wise they would know that you are active but aren’t viewing their messages.
1. Launch Instagram and open your chat thread with the person whom you want to mute.
2. Tap on their username at the top of the thread.
3. Now tap on Mute and toggle on Mute messages.
Note: You can also toggle on Mute calls.
4. Select the duration from the list of options as preferred.
Method 6: Turn off Notifications
Now muting is a process you need to do individually. If you do not want to be notified about messages from anyone on Instagram, simply just turn off the notifications. Follow the steps:
1. Open Instagram and navigate to the Settings and privacy menu.
2. Tap on Notifications, followed by Messages.
3. Select Off for Message requests, Message from individual and group chats, and Group requests.
Note: You can also set other options to Off if preferred.
Settings changed through Instagram are synced across all other devices where that particular account is logged in. So, if you disable Message requests on Instagram using your phone, you will not receive them even on the PC or any other device where your account is signed in.
Method 7: Change Instagram Profile to Private
Public profiles are more prone to attract unwanted engagement and interactions as people who do not follow you can even go through your posts and text you. We suggest you make your Instagram profile private. Follow the steps:
1. In the Settings and privacy menu on Instagram, tap on Account privacy.
2. Toggle on Private account.
Now, all the messages received from people you do not follow will stay in the Message Requests section, unless set otherwise. You can choose to either Accept or Decline them as preferred.
We hope our guide helped you block direct messages on Instagram. Feel free to drop your queries and suggestions in the comment section below. Stay connected to TechCult for such amazing tips and tricks.