Sometimes conversations online lead to instances where you need to hide or censor certain sensitive or confidential information. Discord offers multiple features that target user privacy and control over their shared content. One such feature is the ability to black out or mask text to hide it from view. With this article, let’s see how to black out text on Discord on both the desktop version and the Android app.
Table of Contents
How to Black Out Text on Discord
Blacking out text helps you protect any personal data such as your name, address, or phone number from potential risks. For any confidential information, it ensures that only the intended authorized recipient(s) can access it. Moreover, it also helps you create fun and suspenseful moments during conversations.
Black Out Text on Discord Desktop
If you use Discord on PC, these are the methods you can follow to hide any form of content in a message.
Method 1: Using Vertical Bars
Vertical bars are one of the easiest ways to censor any text. The recipient can tap and view the part between two vertical bars on either side.
1. Open Discord and go to a server.
2. Click on the channel you want to send a text to.
3. Type in the message first and then add || (two vertical bars) on either side. E.g., ||example||
4. Press Enter to send.
Method 2: Add Spoiler Text
Discord also has a spoiler feature for text editing that lets you black out texts. You can follow the steps below to do this.
1. Type a message in the text field and select the typed message using the mouse pointer.
Note: A small pop-up window will appear, providing some text editing options. You can find the spoiler option represented by the eye icon.
2. Click on the eye icon from the pop-up.
3. Press the Enter key to send it.
Method 3: Using /spoiler Command
You can also use the /spoiler command on Discord. Follow the steps mentioned below:
1. Type in the /spoiler command in the text field and click on the message option.
2. Type in the message in the text field and send it.
Also Read: How To Keybind Mute on Discord
Black Out Text on Discord on Android
There are a couple of methods that you can follow to black out text on Discord on your Android device.
Method 1: Using Vertical Bars
Just like PC, you can also use vertical bars to censor texts on Discord on a smartphone. Follow the steps below:
1. In Discord, tap on a Server and select the channel.
2. Write the message and add || (two vertical bars) on either side of the text.
3. Tap on the blue arrow button to send it.
Recipients can now simply tap on the message to reveal it.
Method 2: Using /spoiler Command
Another method is to use the /spoiler command. Follow the steps mentioned below:
1. Type in the /spoiler command in the text field and tap on the message option.
2. Type in the message in the text field and Send it.
Also Read: What is Deafen on Discord?
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Is there a way to reveal blacked-out text on Discord?
Ans. Yes, you can reveal blacked-out text. In order to do this, simply click or tap on the black bar. The text will be revealed underneath.
Q2. Can I customize the color of the blacked-out text on Discord?
Ans. Unfortunately, Discord doesn’t currently allow you to customize the color of the blacked-out text. It will always appear as a solid black bar.
Q3. Can I black out multiple lines of text on Discord?
Ans. Yes, you can black out multiple lines of text. You can use the same method as outlined in this article, but you have to put the command on separate lines before and after the text.
We hope this article helped you black out text on Discord. If you have any queries or suggestions, you can drop them in the comments section below.