Fix Windows 10 won’t download or install updates: While Windows 10 is the most sophisticated & advance version of Microsoft OS till now but that doesn’t mean that you won’t face any issues. In fact, users are still complaining about the Windows update getting stuck. Now updates are a very important part of Windows OS ecosystem and since Windows 10, updates are mandatory and they are automatically downloaded & installed from time to time.
Windows updates are automatically downloaded & installed regardless of whether you want to install it or not. The only thing you can do about Windows updates is that you can slightly delay installing the updates. But the problem users are facing is that Windows updates are continuously being accumulated while some of the updates are waiting to be downloaded on the other hand many are waiting to be installed. But the problem here is that none of them are actually being installed or downloaded.
Why Windows 10 updates won’t download or install?
This issue can be caused due to slow or poor Internet connection, corrupt system files, corrupt SoftwareDistribution folder, the software may conflict with old & new versions, some background services related to Windows updates might have stopped, any pre-existing issue that was not known before the Windows started updating, etc. These are some of the reason as to why you are not being able to download or install Windows updates. But don’t worry the issue can be fixed by following the below-listed troubleshooting guide.
If you’re facing another issue where Windows 10 updates are extremely slow then follow this guide to fix the issue.
Table of Contents
Fix Windows 10 won’t download or install updates
Make sure to create a restore point just in case something goes wrong. There are several methods to fix the Window when it got stuck while downloading or installing updates.
Method 1: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
Windows Update Troubleshooter automatically detects any problem related to updates and tries to fix it. You just need to run Update Troubleshooter by following the below steps:
1. Open Control Panel by clicking on the Start menu and type control panel.
2. In control panel go to view and select Large Icons as View.
3. Select Troubleshooting under the Control Panel window.
4. Under System and Security, click on Fix problems with windows update.
5. A new window will open, mark Apply repairs automatically and click Next.
6. The Troubleshooter will detect any issues with Windows Updates if there are any.
7. If any corruption or problem is present then the troubleshooter will automatically detect it and will ask you to apply the Fix or skip it.
8. Click on Apply this fix and issues with Windows Update will be resolved.
Once the issue with Windows updates is resolved, you need to install Windows 10 updates:
1. Click on Start or press Windows Key.
2. Type updates and click on Check for updates.
3. This will open the Windows Update window, simply click on the Install now button.
Hopefully, you should be able to fix Windows 10 won’t download or install updates issue by now but if the problem still persists then follow the next method.
Method 2: Start All Windows Update Services
The Windows Updates can be stuck if the services and permissions related to updates are not started or enabled. This issue can be easily fixed by enabling services related to Windows Updates.
1. Open Run by pressing Windows key + R simultaneously.
2. Type services.msc in the Run box.
3. A new window of services window will pop-up.
4. Search for Windows Update service, right-click on it and select Properties.
5. The service name should be wuauserv.
6. Now from the Startup type drop-down select Automatic and if the service status is showing stopped then click on the Start button.
7. Similarly, repeat the same steps for Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) and Cryptographic Service.
8. Restart your computer and see if you’re able to download or install Windows updates.
Method 3: Rename SoftwareDistribution Folder
If the above solutions are not working, you can try to fix the issue using the Command Prompt. In this method, we will fix the corruption of SoftareDistribution Folder by renaming it.
1. Press Windows Key + X then select Command Prompt (Admin).
2. Now type the following commands to stop Windows Update Services and then hit Enter after each one:
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
3. Next, type the following command to rename SoftwareDistribution Folder and then hit Enter:
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
4. Finally, type the following command to start Windows Update Services and hit Enter after each one:
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
5. Reboot your PC to save changes.
When the computer restarts check if you are able to fix Windows 10 won’t download or install updates issue.
Method 4: Run System Restore
If Windows Updates are still not working and causing your system to malfunction then you can always try to restore system to the older configuration when everything was working. You can undo all the changes made so far by incomplete Windows updates. And once the system is restored to an earlier working time then you can again try to run Windows updates. To perform System restore follow the below steps:
1. Open Start or press Windows Key.
2. Type Restore under Windows Search and click on Create a restore point.
3. Select the System Protection tab and click on the System Restore button.
4. Click Next and choose the desired System Restore point.
4. Follow the on-screen instruction to complete the System Restore.
5. After reboot, again check for Windows Update and see if you’re able to fix the issue.
Method 5: Download the Updates Offline
If none of the above methods helps in fixing the problem, then you can try to use the third-party tool which is known as WSUS Offline Update. The WSUS software will download the Window Updates and install them without any issues. Once the tool is used to download & install Windows Updates, the Windows Update should just work fine. This means from the next time you don’t need to use this tool for updates, as Windows Updates would work and will download & install updates without any issue.
1. Download the WSUS software and extract it.
2. Open the folder where the software has been extracted and run UpdateGenerator.exe.
3. A new window will pop up and under the Windows tab, select your Windows version. If you are using 64-bit edition then select x64 global and if you are using 32-bit edition then select x86 global.
4. Click on the Start button and the WSUS offline should start downloading the updates.
5. After the download, open the Client folder of the software and run UpdateInstaller.exe.
6. Now, click on the Start button again to start installing the downloaded updates.
7. Once the Tool has finished downloading & installing the updates, restart your PC.
Method 6: Reset Windows 10
Note: If you can’t access your PC then restart your PC a few times until you start Automatic Repair or use this guide to access Advanced Startup options. Then navigate to Troubleshoot > Reset this PC > Remove everything.
1. Press Windows Key + I to open Settings then click on Update & Security icon.
2. From the left-hand menu select Recovery.
3. Under Reset this PC click on the “Get Started” button.
4. Select the option to Keep my files.
5. For the next step you might be asked to insert Windows 10 installation media, so ensure you have it ready.
6. Now, select your version of Windows and click on only the drive where Windows is installed > Just remove my files.
7. Click on the Reset button.
8. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the reset.
- Fix The remote device or resource won’t accept the connection error
- What is the Difference Between an Outlook & Hotmail Account?
- How to Fix High CPU Usage by System Idle Process
- Fix Your Connection is not Secure Error on Firefox
These were some methods to Fix Windows 10 won’t download or install updates issue, hope this solves the problem. Although, if you still have any questions regarding this post then feel free to ask them in the comment’s section.