Windows 10’s File Explorer is a vital tool for navigating and managing files on your computer. However, it can occasionally encounter issues that disrupt its smooth operation. One such problem is the “Working on it” error, where File Explorer appears to be stuck in a perpetual loading state. If you’ve experienced this frustrating issue and want to resolve it, you’re in the right place. In this guide, we’ll delve into the common causes behind the “Working on it” error in Windows 10’s File Explorer and provide you with effective solutions to fix it.
How to Fix Windows 10 File Explorer Working on it Error
File Explorer is generally reliable with no issues so it is difficult to figure out the reason behind Working on it error. Here are some possible causes of it.
- Quick Access issue: Quick Access page keeps updating its content as users keep opening new files and folders. It can cause File Explorer to slow down and give working on it message.
- Cache files: Corrupt cache files can cause this error.
- Glitches: Some minor program malfunction or technical problems in File Explore could also be the reason for this issue.
Method 1: Basic Troubleshooting Steps
We recommend that you start with these basic troubleshooting methods. Generally, they do the trick and fix issues like Windows 10 File Explorer working on it not responding.
1. Restart PC: Many minor errors in Windows PC can be resolved by simply restarting the PC. It fixes glitches and bugs and refreshes the PC. You can use our guide on How to Restart or Reboot Windows PC and check if it solves the problem.
2. Check for Windows Updates: Running an outdated version of Windows can cause many System issues and bugs. You can follow our guide to Download and Install Windows 10 latest update and update to the latest version of Windows. Check if it fixes Windows 10 File Explorer Working on it issue.
Method 2: Modify File Explorer Default Page
As mentioned earlier, File Explorer opens up on the Quick Access page by Default, and how it may cause Windows 10 working on it File Explorer slow response time. Changing the File Explorer default startup page to This PC might resolve the issue. You can do that by following the steps below.
1. Press Windows + E keys together to open File Explorer.
2. Switch to the View tab by clicking on the View option present in the top left corner.
3. In the View tab, click on Options as shown. It will open the Folder Options window.
4. Click on the dropdown menu next to Open File Explorer to: and select This PC.
5. Click on Apply and OK to save changes.
6. Close File Explorer.
Now when you open File Explorer again This PC page will be shown instead of Quick Access.
Note: If you are still facing the issue, go back to Folder Options and click on Clear button next to Clear File Explorer history in Privacy section. After that click on Apply > OK. It will erase all recent activity from Quick Access page and will start it afresh. It might fix the problem.
Method 3: Clear File Explorer Cache
Cache and other temporary files can become corrupt and cause programs to malfunction. Corrupt Cache files of File Explorer may result in Windows 10 File Explorer working on it issue. You can fix this by clearing Cache of File Explorer. To do that, follow these steps.
1. Press Windows + R keys simultaneously to open the Run dialog box.
2. Type %AppData% and click OK to open Roaming folder.
3. In the Roaming folder, go to this path.
4. Select all files in the Recent Items folder by pressing Ctrl + A keys together.
5. After selecting all files, right-click on any file and select Delete to delete all files.
This will clear all cache files of File Explorer. Check if Windows 10 File Explorer working on it issue is resolved.
Method 4: Optimize Folders
Some users have reported that they were able to fix this issue by optimizing folders, which were displaying Working on it error, for General items. It displays all files without any special type of view option and is best suited for folders that contain various types of files. It can load contents of folder much faster thus resolving the issue. Here is how you can do that.
1. Right-click on a folder in which you are facing File Explorer working on it error and select Properties. It will open the Properties window.
2. Switch to Customize tab and click on the dropdown menu below Optimize this folder for: and select General items.
Note: You can check the box marked Apply this template to all subfolders if you want this optimization to be applied in other folders inside problematic folder.
3. Click on Apply and OK to save changes.
Check if Windows 10 working on it File Explorer slow issue is resolved.
Note: If this doesn’t work then try closing all processes connected to OneDrive by going to Task Manager and using the End task option. You can read our article to end task in Task Manager.
Method 5: Reset Search Index
Windows stores all our searches in an index to provide quick and efficient search results. Sometimes loading this index may slow down File Explorer and cause the discussed error. You can reset this index and remove all previous searches so it can load faster. It may fix the issue. Follow the steps below to do the same.
2. Press the Windows key, type Indexing options, and click on Open.
3. Click on Advanced button. Confirm any prompts that appear. Advanced Options window will open.
4. Click on the Rebuild button next to Delete and rebuild index in the Troubleshooting section.
5. Click on OK in the confirmation prompt and wait for the rebuilding process to complete.
Method 6: Perform System Restore
The System Restore option will restore your computer to its previous version and will run File Explorer as it used to in that particular version before you encountered working on it issue. It might fix the problem and you can do it by following our guide to use System Restore on Windows 10. This should finally resolve Windows 10 File Explorer working on it error.
Note: Only use this method if other methods have not worked for you.
We hope that this guide was helpful and you were able to fix Windows 10 File Explorer working on it error. Let us know which method worked for you the best. If you have any queries or suggestions then feel free to drop them in the comments section.