Dark mode has indeed gained popularity since its launch. From mobile devices to desktops and laptops, Dark mode is everyone’s favorite. Dark theme is not only great to look at but it is useful in many other ways as well, like being easy on the eyes of the user. It also allows the use of a device or system quite effortlessly, all thanks to the dim light feature that makes screen use without disturbing others. However, the same Dark mode has been creating issues for some users on Windows 10. If you are also dealing with the same problem, you are in the right place because we bring you a perfect guide that will help you with the methods to fix File Explorer Dark theme not working issue. So, continue reading to solve Windows 10 Dark mode not working problem.
How to Fix File Explorer Dark Theme Not Working on Windows 10
Several reasons that can be the culprit for the inconvenience caused by Dark mode on Windows 10. Not just the file explorer app but Windows can also be a problematic reason behind the error. Let us discuss some of these reasons in detail below.
- If you have an outdated version of Windows in your system, it can be a prominent reason behind Windows 10 dark mode not working. Try fixing the issue by updating Windows with a new version.
- In case you have a Dark theme installed via Mach2 or other similar on your system, there is a chance that you are facing Dark theme not working in file explorer because of it. Try to install the theme again using a third-party app.
- A glitch in the Dark theme application can be another reason for it to not work in file explorer. The bug issue in Dark mode results in the file explorer app partially showing it.
- Using a custom visual theme can also be a cause for the error. Use default theme to resolve the issue caused due to this reason.
Whether the Dark theme not working is an error due to Windows or due to a glitch in the theme, it can be resolved using a few methods that are described in detail and are ordered by their efficiency & effectiveness. So, without further ado, let us start with these legitimate solutions.
Method 1: Log into Windows Again
Logging into Windows again can also be of help in working out the issue of Dark mode not working. Logging again to your account refreshes the system and helps in clearing out conflicts if any. So, log in again using the steps that are mentioned below.
1. Click on the Windows icon and select the Shut down or sign out option.
2. Click on Sign out.
3. Log in again to the system by filling in the credentials.
Method 2: Turn Off Dark Mode and Turn On Again
Another simple way to resolve Windows 10 Dark mode not working is by turning it off and on again on your system. This method is effective in refreshing the Dark mode settings and sorting out if there is any glitch with the system. To turn the mode on again is easy and can be done using the step-by-step instructions given below.
1. Right-click on your desktop home screen and click on Personalize.
2. Click on Colors.
3. Click on Choose your color and select Light.
4. Next, Restart your system.
5. Repeat steps 1 and 2 again.
6. Click Choose your color and select Dark from the options given.
Also Read: How to Remove Chrome Themes
Method 3: Re-apply Wallpaper
Some users have been seeing partial Dark mode on the file explorer screen which can be fixed by re-applying the wallpaper on your desktop screen. To do so, you would need to access Themes in settings and apply the wallpaper again, follow the steps mentioned below for the same.
1. Open the Run dialog box, by pressing Windows + R keys together.
2. Type ms-settings:themes, and press Enter.
3. Click on Background and choose your picture.
4. Once it is set, the Dark theme will automatically appear in full mode.
Method 4: Use Default Theme
Windows 10 provides a great feature of customizing themes for the system. Setting the default theme ensures that the Dark mode is set on your desktop. Hence, it is essential that you set the default theme first.
1. launch Settings by pressing Windows + I keys together.
2. Click on Personalization.
3. Click on Themes.
4. Select the default Windows theme.
5. Next, click on Colors.
6. Select Dark for Windows mode and default app mode.
Method 5: Restart File Explorer
If you are still facing the Dark mode not working issue on your system after trying the above-given methods, then it is probably due to a glitch with the file explorer application. You can resolve the problem by restarting the application on your desktop.
1. Press the Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys together to open Task Manager.
2. Right-click on Windows Explorer.
3. Click on Restart from the menu.
Method 6: Update Windows
One of the main reasons for the file explorer to show partial or no Dark mode is an outdated version of Windows in your system. The new and updated version of the Dark theme can cause conflicts with the older Windows version, therefore, updating it is necessary. Read our guide on how to download and install Windows 10 latest update.
Method 7: Update Video and Sound Drivers
An updated version of the driver for video and sound on your system can also help in fixing the file explorer Dark theme not working. Read our guide on how to update Realtek HD Audio Drivers in Windows 10. Repeat the process for other drivers and see if the error has been resolved.
Method 8: Create New Account
After all the tried methods, if you are still facing the issue of the file explorer Dark theme not working, you might need to create a new account. If your user account is corrupt which is causing the issue, there is no other way to resolving the error than to make a new account, so, to set it up, follow the instructions given below.
1. Open Settings by pressing Windows + I keys together.
2. Click on Accounts.
3. Click on Family & other users.
4. Click on Add someone else to this PC.
5. Select I don’t have this person’s sign-in information.
6. Next, select Add a user without a Microsoft account.
7. Enter the credentials that are required and click Next.
Method 9: Repair System Files
If a file is corrupt in the file explorer application, it can also be a reason for the Dark mode inconvenience. Hence, it is important to check corrupt files in this case. You can do so by using the system file checker. Read our guide on how to repair system files on Windows 10.
Method 10: Remove Customization Apps
Customization apps on your system are meant to provide customized settings like the user interface for applications. Such apps can also be a reason why Dark theme is unable to render on your system. Therefore, it is important to uninstall or delete such customization apps on your computer. Follow these steps to remove customization apps to fix Windows 10 Dark mode not working issue.
1. Hit the Windows + I keys simultaneously to open Settings.
2. Click on Apps.
3. Click on the customization app and select the Uninstall option.
Note: For reference, we have used the LogMein Hamachi.
Method 11: Apply Dark Mode Through Registry Editor
Registry editor is another way that can be used to correct the error of Dark mode. Use the methods given below and check if the issue is resolved.
1. Open the Run dialog box by pressing Windows + R keys together.
2. Type regedit in it, and press Enter key.
3. Copy and paste HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Themes in the search bar.
4. Right-click on Themes and select New.
5. Select Key from the menu.
6. Name it Personalize, right-click on it, select New, and click DWORD (32-bit Value).
7. Name the new value AppsUseLightTheme.
8. Right-click on it and select Modify.
9. Set Value data to 0 and click OK.
10. Right-click on the Personalize folder again and select Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER.
11. Right-click on AppsUseLightTheme in it and select Modify.
12. Change the Value data to 0 and click OK.
Once all the steps are complete, restart the system and check if Dark mode can be set in file explorer.
Also Read: Fix The Registry editor has stopped working
Method 12: Use Mach2 to Enable Dark Mode
If you have used Mach2 to enable Dark mode previously without updating Windows 10, there is a chance that you are seeing the error of Dark mode not working because of it. Using the command prompt, you can enable Dark mode again. Here is how you can achieve this:
Note: If the Mach2 folder is no longer available on your system, then download it again.
1. Open the File Explorer and locate the Mach2 folder in it.
2. Type cmd.exe in the address bar where the Mach2 folder is located.
3. In the Command Prompt screen that opens, type mach2 enable 10397285 command, and press the Enter key.
4. Once the process is done, a prompt OK message will appear on the screen.
5. Then, restart your PC.
6. Open Settings by pressing Windows + I keys together.
7. Click on Personalization.
8. Finally, click on colors and set the default app mode to Dark.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Why is my file explorer not applying Dark mode on my PC?
Ans. Custom themes on your system can cause the issue of file explorer not showing dark mode. You can set the custom theme to Dark mode by visiting personalization settings on your laptop/computer.
Q2. Which is better, light mode or dark mode for computers?
Ans. Light mode or Dark mode is a personal preference, they both have advantages of their own. While the light mode is quite useful when working outside or under bright light, the dark mode provides a soothing screen look when used without lights.
Q3. Can I make changes in the Dark mode?
Ans. Yes, you can alter the Dark mode on your system according to your liking. Access personalization settings on your PC for the same.
Q4. Does the Dark mode error occur on all versions of Windows?
Ans. Dark mode error has been seen to occur on Windows 10.
Q5. How can I access Dark mode on my PC?
Ans. You can access and turn Dark mode on/off by opening display settings.
Q6. Is Dark mode good for eyes?
Ans. The Dark mode is good for the eyes as it is better than white bright light which can be striking for the eyes. The black light in Dark mode is also very soothing for the eyes.
Q7. Do turning the Dark mode save the battery?
Ans. If you are planning to turn Dark mode on, it is unlikely to make any difference to the battery usage of your system.
- Why is my Paramount Plus Not Working on my TV?
- How to Change Background Color in Microsoft Word
- 15 Best Free Windows 10 Themes
- How to Replace Color in GIMP
The Dark mode is without a doubt a great addition to the already amazing features in Windows 10. However, if you are facing errors with the Dark theme on your system, we hope that this guide helped resolve them with methods to fix File Explorer Dark theme not working on Windows 10. If you have any queries or suggestions related to the subject, please let us know by dropping them in the comments section below.