If you are upgrading or installing Windows chances are you may be facing The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. No matter what you do, you can’t proceed with the installation, and you’re stuck in an endless loop. Whenever you restart your PC, you will again see this error, and that’s why it’s important to fix this issue.
The error is something like this:
The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected
error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click
“OK” to restart the computer, and then restart the installation.
There is no particular cause as to why you are facing this issue but corrupted Registry, Windows files, damaged hard disk, outdated BIOS etc. are the reason. But this will give you a basic idea on how to troubleshooting these various causes, and that’s what exactly we are going to do.
Fix The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error
If you’re not able to access the command prompt like shown below, then use this method instead.
Method 1: Chaing ChildCompletion setup.exe value in Registry Editor
1. On the same error screen, press Shift + F10 to open Command Prompt.
2. Type the following command and hit Enter: regedit
3. Now in the Registry Editor navigate to the following key:
4. Next, click on ChildCompletion key and then on the right-hand side window look for setup.exe.
5. Double click on setup.exe and change its value from 1 to 3.
6. Close Registry editor and command prompt window.
7. Now click OK on the error and your PC will restart. After the PC restart, your installation will continue.
Method 2: Check Hard Disk Cables
Sometimes you might get stuck in The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error loop due to hard drive cable problems. Users reported that switching the cables that connect hard drive to the motherboard fixed the issue, so you might want to try that.
Method 3: Run Startup/Automatic Repair
1. Insert the Windows 10 bootable installation DVD and restart your PC.
2. When prompted to Press any key to boot from CD or DVD, press any key to continue.
3. Select your language preferences, and click Next. Click Repair your computer in the bottom-left.
4. On choose an option screen, click Troubleshoot.
5. On Troubleshoot screen, click the Advanced option.
6. On the Advanced options screen, click Automatic Repair or Startup Repair.
7. Wait till the Windows Automatic/Startup Repairs complete.
8. Restart and you have successfully Fix The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error, if not, continue.
Method 4: Format Hard Drive
Note: This method will remove all your files, folders and settings from your PC.
1. Again open the Command Prompt by pressing the Shift + F10 key on the error.
2. Now type the following command in cmd and hit Enter after each one:
Diskpart list volume select volume 1 (select the disk containing your Windows OS) format fs=ntfs quick label=test
3. Type exit and press Enter to exit Command Prompt.
4. After you restart your computer problem with “The computer restarted unexpectedly” loop should be fixed.
5.But you have to install Windows again.
- Fix dns_probe_finished_bad_config error
- Fix Blue Screen error in Microsoft Edge
- How to create empty files from the command prompt (cmd)
- Fix The application failed to initialize properly
That’s it you have successfully Fix The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error, but if you still have any queries regarding this guide, then please feel free to ask them in the comment’s section.