League of Legends slow download problem arises when your network is down, the LOL backend servers are down, or a third-party program is throttling the download process. The need for administrative access, security program problems, .net system 3.5 issues, and incorrect network configurations can also trigger sluggish download speeds. Through this guide, you will learn how to fix League of Legends slow download problem with the help of our tried & tested methods.
However, before proceeding to the fixes, make sure that the slow download speed problem is exclusive to League of Legends or not. You can verify this by downloading some other kind of file. If file loading speed is still slow, you will need to troubleshoot your internet connectivity issues first.
- Fix League of Legends Slow Download Problem
- Method 1: Modify League of Legends Launcher
- Method 2: Turn Off the Windows Firewall
- Method 3: Reset Network Settings
- Method 4: Manually Install .NET framework 3.5
- Method 5: Use a VPN
- Method 6: Fix the Game files
- Method 7: Set the Config files to Default
- Method 8: Reinstall Game
Fix League of Legends Slow Download Problem
Let’s see how to fix League of Legends slow download speed issue with the help of the below-listed troubleshooting guide:
Method 1: Modify League of Legends Launcher
LOL (League Of Legends) launcher may require administrator privileges to access certain files and services. Therefore, when it is run with non-administrative rights, the user may experience a League of Legends slow download problem. To avoid this, it is advised to run the application with admin rights as detailed below:
1. Right-click on the Task Bar and select Task Manager.
2. Right-click any LOL process, such as LeagueClient.exe, in Task Manager and select End task.
3. Right-click the League of Legends shortcut icon on the computer, then select Open file location.
4. Find LeagueClient.exe in the League of Legends file location. Now, right-click on it and select Run as administrator.
Verify if the League of Legends slow download speed problem is resolved. If not, proceed to the next method.
Method 2: Turn Off the Windows Firewall
Antivirus and firewall software installed on the computer can sometimes hamper online gaming. They are meant to shield your machine from viruses, but they often create false positives by blocking legitimate programs like League of Legends. This implies that LOL may be unable to access certain device files and utilities, and therefore the game download speed is slowed down.
It is now clear that disabling the anti-virus software and turning off the firewall should be sufficient to resolve the League of Legends downloading too slow issue.
Launch the game after disabling the anti-virus to see whether the download speed has changed. If the game runs well, add the game file to the list of exceptions in your antivirus program settings. If you have a third-party firewall on your system, turn it off. Follow these steps to disable Windows Defender Firewall:
1. To open the Windows Defender Firewall, click the Windows button, type windows firewall in the search box, and then press Enter.
2. Click the Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off option on the left panel.
3. Turn off Windows Defender Firewall for all categories of network i.e., Domain, Private and Public. Then, click OK.
If the download speed has improved after disabling your anti-virus and firewall, make a game exception in your anti-virus and firewall settings. However, if the download speed does not increase, try the next method.
Also Read: Fix Can’t Turn ON Windows Defender
Method 3: Reset Network Settings
The League of Legends config file works for the network default TCP/IP settings. Suppose your system configurations vary from the default settings. As a result, the patcher cannot function properly, and you may experience a League of Legends Slow download problem. In this problem, we have used Winsock to restore TCP/IP settings to their defaults, which should fix the problem.
1. Press the Windows Key and type the command prompt in the search box.
2. Now, select Run as administrator from the right side of the screen.
3. Type the following instruction in the prompt and hit Enter:
netsh winsock reset
4. Restart your PC.
Check if you’re able to resolve the League of Legends slow download speed issue.
Method 4: Manually Install .NET framework 3.5
The League of Legends requires the use of the .NET Framework 3.5 software platform. Many issues can emerge if the .Net System is either missing or corrupt.
Common mistake users make is that if you’re already using a .Net Framework, such as 4.7, you won’t need the 3.5 version. This is incorrect, and you must still install it.
1. Install .NET framework 3.5 and restart your computer.
2. Now, open League of Legends and if League of Legend’s download speed hasn’t improved, consider the next method.
Method 5: Use a VPN
Some services may be restricted by your Internet Service Provider, which may result in a League of Legends slow download problem. As a result, using a VPN where network traffic can flow freely and service blockages won’t exist should resolve the download speed problem. This is how you can do so:
1. Install a VPN of your choice after making sure it is legal & compatible to use.
2. Start your VPN.
3. Connect to a server from the available list of regions.
Check to see if the download speed has increased.
Also Read: 15 Ways to Speed Up a Slow Windows 10 PC
Method 6: Fix the Game files
LOL can also be slowed down by corrupt game files. However, it has a built-in recovery feature that can repair all game files and potentially fix League of Legends slow download speed issue. So, let us discuss how this works.
1. Launch League of Legends and then log in with your account.
2. To access the Game Settings, click the gear icon.
3. Click Settings and select Initiate Full Repair. Now, choose Yes to proceed.
Wait patiently while the repair goes on. This fix could take anywhere between 30 and 60 minutes. Once the repair process is complete, you will be able to launch & play the game uninterrupted.
Method 7: Set the Config files to Default
If download speed is slow even after trying the above solutions, one sure-shot fix is to completely reset your League of Legends setup.
Note: This reset will wipe out all client and in-game settings you may have created, and everything will be restored to default.
1. Launch League of Legends and log in to your account.
2. Keep the launcher active and minimize the game client. Go to the League of Legends installation directory.
3. Locate and remove the Config directory.
4. Return to the League of Legends client. Start a custom game to create a new config folder.
Method 8: Reinstall Game
If nothing else has worked thus far, the last resort is to reinstall League of Legends.
Step 1: Uninstalling League of Legends
1. Press the Windows Key and type Control Panel in the search box. Then, select Control Panel from the list that appears.
2. Select Uninstall a program under the Programs tab.
3. Right-click on the League of Legends and choose Uninstall.
4. Now go to the directory where LOL was installed & remove any remaining files.
5. Remove the old setup files which were used to install the game and restart the computer.
Step 2: Reinstalling League of Legends
1. Download the latest version of League of Legends.
2. Find LeagueofLegends.exe in the downloaded files. Right-click on it, and choose to Run as administrator.
3. The installation process starts automatically after the configuration files are loaded.
4. The game launcher will open once the installation process is complete.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. What is the download size of League of Legends?
League of Legends is just around 9 GB in size when downloaded, but it about 22 GB when unpacked. If you’re thinking of downloading the game, make sure you have a minimum of 25GB of free space. To download the game, go to the official League of Legends website.
Q2. How long does League of Legends take to download?
With a 100mbps connection, downloading the launcher should take about 5 minutes. LOL will patch up after the download is finished. Depending on the connectivity, this could take anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour.
- How To Fix League Of Legends Client Not Opening Issues
- Your PC Isn’t Connected to the Internet Error [SOLVED]
- How to Fix Steam Store Not Loading Error
- How To Fix Spotify Web Player Won’t Play
We hope that this guide was helpful and you were able to fix League of Legends slow download issue. Let us know which method worked for you best. If you have any queries/comments regarding this article, then feel free to drop them in the comments section.