Kodi is a popular platform and an open-source hub for games, movies, and other forms of entertainment. The platform is used by millions of users online. However, there are many instances of users running into trouble with Kodi servers. Kodi cannot connect to a network server is one of the most common issues that users often come across. This error can get you stuck with nothing. Kodi unable to connect error can be caused by various factors such as a wrong URL or a blocked IP address. In this guide, we will discuss the reasons and methods to fix the Kodi unable to connect to remote server issue. Continue reading to find effective solutions to fix the server issues with Kodi.
- How to Fix Kodi Cannot Connect to Network Server
- Method 1: Troubleshoot Network Connection
- Method 2: Verify URL Information
- Method 3: Verify URL is Working Properly
- Method 4: Verify if Source is Running Properly
- Method 5: Update Kodi Add-ons
- Method 6: Reset Kodi Network Settings
- Method 7: Enable Proxy Server Option
- Method 8: Use VPN Service
- Method 9: Check Kodi Error Log
- Method 10: Reinstall Kodi Program
How to Fix Kodi Cannot Connect to Network Server
There can be various reasons for Kodi cannot connect to network server issues. Some of the common reasons are mentioned here.
- An incorrect URL is also a common reason for the error.
- An inactive URL can also cause this server error.
- If the source domain is not working properly, it can cause various errors including the Kodi server error.
- Outdated Kodi Add-ons are also responsible for this error.
- Improper network settings in the Kodi program can cause server issues.
- A blocked IP address is often responsible for this error.
- If a URL has geographical restrictions users may receive server cannot connect errors
- Various issues with the Kodi program such as bugs and improper installation are also responsible for the error.
In the following guide, we will discuss methods to fix the Kodi cannot connect to a network server error.
Method 1: Troubleshoot Network Connection
One of the most common reasons Kodi cannot connect to the network server issue is a bad network connection. If your internet connection is unstable, you may have trouble with Kodi server and enjoying other Kodi services. Therefore, the first step that you should consider is to fix the network issues that are causing the Kodi server connection error.
Step I: Restart WiFi Router
One of the first things that you can do to fix the Kodi unable to connect error is to check if your WiFi router is connected properly with your device and with the main power switch. Very often the network connection errors are caused by improper router connections. Read out our guide to Restart Router.
Step II: Check Network Connection
If the issue has not been caused by the WiFi router, then it can be because of your internet provider. You should consider checking with the internet service you are using to make sure you are getting good enough signals. You should also ensure that you have an active internet plan on your device. If the issue was not caused by the network, then you should try the following methods to resolve the Kodi server unable to connect error. If you are having trouble with a slow internet connection you can check out the Slow Internet Connection? 10 Ways to Speed up your Internet! guide to finding ways to fix slow internet issues.
Method 2: Verify URL Information
One of the common reasons for the server issues with Kodi is incorrect URL information which may be leading to this error. You can try to fix the incorrect URL information by using the following steps.
1. Open Kodi and navigate to the Settings options.
2. On the System page locate and click on File manager.
3. Now right-click on the specific source and then click the Edit option.
4. Here, you will be able to see all the URL addresses and check for any mistakes.
5. Make the required changes to the incorrect URL addresses and click OK to save the changes.
Also Read: Fix Kodi Search Error on Windows 10
Method 3: Verify URL is Working Properly
If fixing the URL mistakes does not fix the server issue, you should check if the URL repository is working or not. When a link repository is improper it does not work and causes connection issues. Follow the below-mentioned steps to check if the URL is working properly.
1. Copy the URL address from Kodi.
2. Open your Web Browser and paste the URL in the search bar.
3. If you see a new Index of/ page the URL repository is working fine.
Note: In some cases, you may see a Welcome page instead of an Index of/ page.
4. However, if you see a new page with This site can’t be reached message then the URL repository is incorrect or not working properly.
Method 4: Verify if Source is Running Properly
If the URL that you are using is correct but you are still having server connection errors this can happen because the Kodi source domain is not running properly. When a domain shuts down Kodi keeps changing the URL on its own. Therefore, it becomes necessary for you to know the new URLs for the Add-ons.
1. Open the Web Browser and search the URL.
2. If the search result includes a page containing an add-on the source is working fine.
3. However, if you see an error page after searching the URL, the source is closed or down.
Also Read: How to Install Kodi Add Ons
Method 5: Update Kodi Add-ons
If your Kodi add-ons are not updated, they may cause various errors with the program including the Kodi server error. Therefore, you should consider updating your Kodi add-ons to the latest versions to fix this issue.
1. Run Kodi and click on the Add-ons from the home page.
2. Now, click on the My Add-ons.
3. Click on Options at the left side bottom of the screen. Finally, click on the Check for updates option and Kodi will start updating the add-ons automatically.
Method 6: Reset Kodi Network Settings
If the issue continues and you can’t figure out a solution, you can try to reset the Kodi network settings. You can try to fix this issue by turning the limitations off for the bandwidth from the system settings.
1. Launch Kodi and navigate to Settings and then to System Settings.
2. From the left panel select Internet access.
3. Here, click on the Internet Connection bandwidth limitation.
4. Click on the Off option.
5. Finally, restart the Kodi program.
Method 7: Enable Proxy Server Option
When your IP address is blocked by Kodi, you may receive server error issues with the program. To fix this issue you can try to enable the proxy server option.
1. Run Kodi and navigate to Settings and then to System Settings.
2. From the left panel select Internet access.
3. Turn on the toggle for Use Proxy Server.
4. Under the Proxy type locate and click on the Server.
5. Here, type the proxy server address and then click OK.
6. Now, on the Port option enter the Port number of the proxy server and click on Done.
7. Now, enter the Username and Password if you have one.
8. Finally, Restart Kodi to see if the issue has been fixed.
Method 8: Use VPN Service
If the Kodi program is not working properly for a specific URL this can be because the URL is restricted in your location. You can avoid this server error due to such restrictions by using a VPN server to hide your IP address. If you are not sure how to set up a VPN service on your computer, you can check out the How to set up a VPN on Windows 10 guide to how to safely set up a VPN on your computer.
Method 9: Check Kodi Error Log
If changing network settings does not help with the server issues, you can try to check the Kodi error logs to understand where the issue is originating. The error log stores all the errors that occur in a program. You can locate the error log for Kodi on your Windows 10 computer by following these simple steps.
1. Press Windows + R keys together open the Run dialog box.
2. In the Run prompt type %APPDATA% and press the Enter key.
3. Here, locate the Kodi folder and open it.
4. In the Kodi folder locate kodi.log and kodi.old.log. files.
5. You can carefully go through these files and decode the root cause of Kodi unable to connect error.
Method 10: Reinstall Kodi Program
If none of the above-mentioned methods work and the issue with the server remains, you can try to reinstall the program.
1. Hit the Windows key, type Control Panel and click on Open.
2. Set View by > Category, then click on Uninstall a program under the Programs menu as shown.
3. Now, select Kodi from the list and click on Uninstall as shown. Then, confirm any prompt that comes in the next window.
4. Click on Yes in the User Account Control prompt.
5. Click on Next in the Kodi Uninstall window.
6. Again, click on Next in the following uninstallation window.
7. Now, click on the Uninstall option to confirm the uninstallation process.
8. Click on Finish to complete the process.
9. Press the Windows key, type %appdata% and hit the Enter key to open the AppData Roaming folder.
10. Right-click on Kodi folder and select the Delete option.
11. Next, type %localappdata% in the Windows search bar to open the AppData Local folder.
12. Again, delete the Kodi folder as shown in Step 10.
13. Finally, reboot the PC after completely removing Kodi.
14. Finally, go to the Kodi download page and click on the Installer (64BIT) button as depicted.
Once Kodi is downloaded, install it on your PC and reboot your device, and launch the application to check if the previously encountered error has been resolved now. For further steps refer our Guide How to Install Kodi.
Hence, these are the ways to solve Kodi unable to connect error.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. What causes server errors with Kodi?
Ans. Many factors can cause server errors in Kodi, such as an incorrect URL, a downed source domain, improper network settings, a blocked IP address, etc.
Q2. How to fix the server not connecting issue for Kodi?
Ans. You can try various methods like checking the URL, changing the Network settings, or trying a VPN service to fix the issue.
Q3. Is Kodi free for Windows 10?
Ans. Yes, The Kodi program is available for free download for Windows 10 computers. You can download the program from the official website.
- 9 Ways to Fix Google Play Store Error 963
- Fix Windows 10 Mapped Drives Not Showing in Programs
- Fix Kodi Error Unable to Create Application Exiting
- Fix Kodi Won’t Open in Windows 10
We hope this guide was helpful to you and you were able to fix Kodi cannot connect to the network server issue. Let us know which method worked for you. If you have any suggestions or queries for us, please let us know in the comment section.