Google Photos is a mobile media storing app. The app is developed by Google for android, IOS, and even for the web. Users can access their photos and videos, and can also edit and organize these media files with Google Photos app. Due to several errors sometimes users can have Google Photos unable to save changes error while using the Google Photos app. This error occurs when users edit their photos in Google Photos and then meet with a Google can’t save changes error. This common error usually occurs due to storage and cache issues. In this guide, we will discuss why are Google Photos not saving on your device and how to fix these issues.
- How to Fix Google Photos Unable to Save Changes
- Method 1: Reboot Device
- Method 2: Update Google Photos App
- Method 3: Force Stop Google Photos App
- Method 4: Clear Google Photos Cache
- Method 5: Modify Storage Settings
- Method 6: Re-mount SD Card
- Method 7: Move Images to Phone Memory
- Method 8: Enable Background Data Usage
- Method 9: Disable Background Restrictions
- Method 10: Factory Reset Device
How to Fix Google Photos Unable to Save Changes
There can be multiple reasons for these errors; some of the possible errors are listed below.
- App bugs and errors are the most common reasons for the Google Photos errors
- Excessive Cache data stored in the app can also cause several errors including unable to save file error
- Phone storage issues can also cause this error
- Corrupted SD Cards and improper SD card configuration can also cause Google Photos error
The following guide will discuss methods to resolve Google photos unable to save changes issues.
Note: Since smartphones do not have the same settings option, and they vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, hence ensure the correct settings before changing any. The following methods are from the Moto G60 smartphone.
Method 1: Reboot Device
The Google Photos errors are often temporary and are caused by the lagging of your device. Lagging can be associated with operating system failures. You can fix this error by simply rebooting your smartphone.
1. Hold the power button and wait for Power Options to appear.
2. Select the Restart option.
Method 2: Update Google Photos App
Google keep providing new updates to Google Photos, it is important to better the user experience and remove bugs from the previous version. If you have not updated your Google Photos app in a long time, you should consider updating the app to resolve Google Photos unable to save changes issues. Updating the app can answer the question of why are Google Photos not saving the files.
1. Open Google Play Store on your device.
2. Search for Google Photos from the search bar.
3. Select Google Photos from the search results and tap on the Update button.
4. Once the update is finished, your app should be good to use.
Method 3: Force Stop Google Photos App
If the error is being caused by bugs and lags in the Google Photo app, you can try to fix this by forcing Google Photos to stop running and then relaunching the app.
1. Navigate to your device Settings.
2. In the settings, tap on Apps & notifications.
3. Tap on See all apps option.
4. Select the Photos app.
5. Tap on Force stop.
Method 4: Clear Google Photos Cache
Cache files can be responsible for various errors in mobile apps, including Google Photos unable to save changes errors. You can easily avoid this error by simply clearing the Cache memory for the Google Photos app, thus fixing Google can’t save changes error.
1. Launch the Settings app on your device.
2. Then, tap on Apps & notifications.
3. Tap on See all 143 apps.
4. Select the Photos app.
5. Locate and select Storage & cache.
6. Here, tap on Clear cache.
Method 5: Modify Storage Settings
If your SD Card doesn’t have access to the phone gallery, you may receive Google Photos errors, therefore, to fix this issue you will have to give access to SD Card.
1. Open the Google Photos app.
2. From the top-right corner select the profile icon and then select Photos Settings.
3. Then, tap on SD Card access.
4. Follow the steps mentioned on this page.
Method 6: Re-mount SD Card
If Google Photos unable to save changes error occurs with the files stored in the SD Card, the issue can be caused by the SD Card itself. One of the first methods that you can try to fix SD Card issues is to re-mount the card in your phone.
1. Access the SD Card slot on your smartphone, and remove the SD Card.
2. Carefully, place the SD Card on the tray and insert it back into your phone.
3. Finally, reboot your phone.
Method 7: Move Images to Phone Memory
If the SD Card is still having problems with the Google Photos app, you can try to move the files from the SD Card folders to the Phone memory folders.
1. Launch the Files app and select the pictures.
2. After selecting the photos tap on the three-dot icon from the top-right corner.
3. Then, tap on Move to.
4. Now select Internal Storage and select the target folder.
5. Finally, tap on Move here to place the file in this folder.
Method 8: Enable Background Data Usage
For various reasons, if you have denied Google Photos access to background data, this may cause several errors on your Google Photos app including Google Photos unable to save changes issues. To avoid this you can enable access to Google Photos for background data usage via settings.
1. Press on the Google Photos app icon for few seconds and select App info.
2. Here, select Mobile data & Wi-Fi.
3. Turn on the Background data toggle.
Also Read: How to Fix Google Photos shows blank photos
Method 9: Disable Background Restrictions
Similar to Background data usage, if you have enabled background restriction to Google Photos, it may cause several errors in the app. You will have to disable the background restrictions for Google Photos.
1. Hold the Google Photos app icon and select App info.
2. Here, select the Advanced option.
3. Now, select Battery.
4. Tap on Background restrictions.
5. Finally, select Remove to confirm the changes.
Method 10: Factory Reset Device
If none of the previous methods works and you can’t understand why are Google Photos not saving pictures. To fix Google Photos unable to save changes issues, try performing a factory restore of your smartphone.
Note: Before your factory reset your Android, you have to back up all of your data. If you do not know how to back up your Android, follow our guide to Back Up Your Android Phone Data.
To factory reset your mobile, read and implement the steps in our guide How To Hard Reset Any Android Device.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Can I edit my pictures with Google Photos?
Ans. Yes, you can edit your pictures and videos in the Google Photos android app, the editor comes with extensive editing tools and filters.
Q2. Why is Google Photos not working properly?
Ans. There can be various reasons for Google Photos to not work properly such as cache memory issues, app bugs, and SD card issues.
Q3. How to fix Google Photos bugs?
Ans. You can fix Google Photos bugs by updating the app or clear cache data.
- Why is Fubo Not Working in Windows 10?
- Fix Currently Unable to Send Your Message on Outlook Mobile
- How to Recover a Deleted Google Doc from Google Drive
- How to Remove an Account from Google Photos
We hope this guide was helpful to you and you were able to fix Google Photos unable to save changes issues. Let us know which method worked for you the best. If you have any suggestions or queries, please let us know in the comment section below.