Elder Scrolls Online is a popular role-playing game that is available on a variety of platforms, including Microsoft Windows, macOS, PlayStation 4/5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, and Stadia.
The ESO launcher has caused some problems for certain Windows gamers. They can’t even get into the game since the ESO launcher freezes or hangs and does not move forward.
How to Fix Elder Scrolls Online Not Launching
What causes the Elder Scrolls online not loading issue?
Following are the most common causes of this issue:
- Firewall blocking ESO
- Corrupt Microsoft Visual C++ files.
- Corrupt Game data in program files
- Software Conflicts
In this article, we have outlined some of the easiest ways to fix this issue. Let’s go through them.
Method 1: Make an Exception for ESO in the Firewall
If the ESO doesn’t start, the Windows Firewall may be perceiving it as a threat and blocking it. Simply allow the ESO launcher to bypass the firewall to fix this issue.
1. Select Control Panel from the Start menu as shown.
2. Go to the System and Security option from the list.
3. Click on Windows Defender Firewall and then click Allow an app through Windows Defender Firewall sub-option as shown below.
4. Click the Change settings button and check both the Private and Public choices for ESO. Refer to pic below.
5. Click OK to confirm the changes.
ESO will no longer be blocked by Windows Defender Firewall.
Method 2: Reinstall Microsoft C++
Most video games being launched in recent times require Microsoft Visual C++ in order to operate correctly on a computer. If this application gets corrupt, you will certainly face the ESO does not load on the launch screen issue.
1. To launch the Settings app, press Windows + I keys together.
2. Choose Apps from the settings window as seen here.
3. Click Apps & Features under the Apps category from the left pane. Refer to pic below.
4. Select Microsoft Visual C++ and click Uninstall as shown.
5. To confirm the action, click OK.
6. Uninstall all versions of Microsoft Visual C++ that you have installed by repeating the same process.
7. Now, head over to the Microsoft website and download the necessary executables and then, run the installation.
Now relaunch the game to see whether the error is fixed or not.
Method 3: Remove Corrupt Game Data
If Elder Scrolls Online does not load on the launch screen or the launcher is not updating, the program data used to extract the launch settings may have gotten corrupt. In this scenario, you can remove such data to fix the problem as follows:
1. Restart your PC after exiting the ESO launcher
2. Locate the Launcher folder of the game in File Explorer. It is located in the following directory by default:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax\Online\Launcher
3. Locate and remove the ProgramData folder stored under the Launcher folder.
After that, restart the launcher and see if the ESO loading problem is fixed.
Also Read: Fix Unable to Open Local Disk (C:)
Method 4: Modify LAN Settings
Some users reported that removing the automated configuration script and proxy server from LAN helped them start ESO. Hence, you, too, should give it a shot.
1. Open Control Panel from Start menu as shown.
2. Go to the Network and Internet tab.
3. Click on Internet Options as shown below.
4. Click the Connections tab. Then, click the LAN settings button as depicted.
4. Uncheck the boxes next to Use automatic configuration script and Use a proxy server for your LAN options on this window.
5. Click the OK button.
6. To confirm the changes, click Apply.
Verify if you’re able to fix the Elder Scrolls online not launching issue, if not, then continue to the next method.
Method 5: Repair Game Files using the Game Launcher
It is possible that the ESO launcher has either gotten corrupt or some files have gone missing. Therefore, we will fix the game launcher in this step to fix all launch-related issues.
1. Right-click the ESO launcher icon and choose Run as administrator.
2. Wait for the launcher to open. Then, choose Game Options.
3. Click the Repair option. The file examination process will begin now.
4. Allow the launcher to restore any missing files.
After the procedure is complete, restart the game and check if you’re able to fix the Elder Scrolls online not launching issue. If it doesn’t, try the last fix.
Method 6: Fix Software conflicts
It is possible that the Elder Scrolls Online Not Loading issue is occurring due to software conflict. If that’s the case, try the following:
1. If you’ve recently installed some new app software, consider deactivating or deleting it.
2. If you can’t figure out which software is causing the problem, you can opt for a clean boot of your computer. This will remove all non-Microsoft apps and services.
- Fix Mouse Scroll doesn’t work in Start Menu on Windows 10
- 10 Ways To Fix Slow Page Loading In Google Chrome
- Fix Avast Blocking League of Legends (LOL)
- How To Fix No Man’s Sky Crashing On PC
We hope that you were able to fix Elder Scrolls online not launching issue with the help of this guide. Let us know which method worked for you. If you have any suggestions/queries drop them in the comments box.