Credential Manager stores your usernames and password in a secure digital locker. All these passwords are associated with your user profile in Windows, and it is used by Windows or its application. But few users are reporting an error when they try opening the Credential Manager, which is “Error code: 0x80070057. Error Message: The Parameter Is Incorrect.” In short, you won’t be able to access Credential Manager and all the saved password associated with it.
The problem seems to be caused by the corrupt password profile, or it’s possible that the Credential Manager service might not be running. Anyway, let’s see how to actually Fix Credential Manager Error 0x80070057 The Parameter Is Incorrect with the below-listed troubleshooting guide without wasting any time.
Credential Manager Error 0x80070057 The Parameter Is Incorrect [FIXED]
Make sure to create a restore point just in case something goes wrong.
Method 1: Start Web Credential Services
1. Press Windows Key + R then services.msc and hit Enter.
2. Find Credential Manager Service in the list then right-click on it and select Properties.
3. Make sure the Startup type is set to Automatic and click Start if the service is not running.
4. Click Apply, followed by OK.
5. Close services window and reboot your PC to save changes.
Method 2: Clear Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer cache
Note: Make sure to uncheck “Password” entry or else all your saved credentials will be lost.
1. Open Microsoft Edge then clicks the 3 dots in the upper right corner and choose Settings.
2. Scroll down till you find “Clear browsing data” then click on Choose what to clear button.
3. Select everything except Passwords and click the Clear button.
4. Press Windows Key + R then type “inetcpl.cpl” (without quotes) and hit enter to open Internet Properties.
5. Now under Browsing history in the General tab, click on Delete.
6. Next, make sure the following are checked:
- Temporary Internet files and website files
- Cookies and website data
- Download History
- Form data
- Tracking Protection, ActiveX Filtering, and Do not track
Note: Do not select Passwords
7. Then click Delete and wait for IE to delete the Temporary files.
Then reboot your PC and see if you’re able to Fix Credential Manager Error 0x80070057 The Parameter Is Incorrect.
Method 3: Use Microsoft Edge To fix Credential Manager Error 0x80070057
1. Open Microsoft Edge and then click the three dots on the upper-right corner.
2. Now, from the menu that pops up, click Settings.
3. Scroll down to the bottom and click on View Advanced Settings.
4. Next, scroll down to Privacy and services section and click on Manage my saved passwords.
5. This will show you the saved passwords for the websites, and if you click on an entry, it will display the URL, username, and password for that specific URL.
6. Select anyone entry and change its password and click on Save.
7. Again try to open Credential Manager and this time you won’t face any error.
8. If you are still facing the error, then try to delete some entries from the Microsoft Edge password manager and again try to open Credential Manager.
Method 4: Manually Delete all the old password entries
Note: All of your saved passwords in apps and browsers may be deleted by the following steps mentioned below.
1. Press Windows Key + R then type %appdata% and hit Enter.
2. Then navigate to Microsoft > Protect by double-clicking on the folders.
3. Inside Protect Folder, copy all the files & folders to another location.
4. Once the backup is done, select the files and permanently delete them.
5. Again try to open Credential Manager, and this time it will open without any problem.
- Fix A Required Privilege Is Not Held By The Client Error
- Fix The task image is corrupt or has been tampered with
- How to Fix Windows File Explorer keeps refreshing itself.
- Fix Apps are greyed out in Windows 10
That’s it you have successfully Fix Credential Manager Error 0x80070057 The Parameter Is Incorrect but if you still have any questions regarding this post then feel free to ask them in the comment’s section.