The era of smart TVs is upon us. Once called the idiot box, the television now sports a wide range of features that can put even the Personal Computer to shame. A major reason behind this development has been the creation of devices such as the Chromecast that can turn most ordinary televisions into smart TVs. However, users have reported an error stating that the Chromecast source is supported. If this error has interrupted your streaming experience, here’s how you can fix the ‘Chromecast source not supported’ error.
- Fix Chromecast Source Not Supported Error
- Why can’t I cast to my TV using Chromecast?
- Method 1: Enable Mirroring on Google Chrome
- Method 2: Enable Cast Media Router Provider
- Method 3: Disable Ad Blocker and VPN extensions
- Method 4: Clear the Cache Data of the App
- Method 4: Check the Internet Connection & Wi-Fi Connectivity of both devices
- Method 5: Reboot All Systems Involved
- Method 6: Update Chromecast
Fix Chromecast Source Not Supported Error
Why can’t I cast to my TV using Chromecast?
Chromecast is a great way to cast your phone or PC to your Television. There is hardly any device that cannot pair with Chromecast. This means that the source not supported error you received is probably not caused by incompatibility but rather due to some small error or bug on your device. These issues can range from poor network connectivity to faulty applications. Regardless of the nature of the issue, this article will help cast to your Television using Chromecast.
Method 1: Enable Mirroring on Google Chrome
Screen mirroring is an experimental feature on Chrome that allows users to share their screen with other devices. By default, the mirroring feature changes and adjusts based on the device or connections you have, but you can forcefully enable it, compelling your Chrome browser to share its screen. Here’s how you can enable the mirroring feature on Google Chrome:
1. Open a new tab in Chrome and type in the following URL in the search bar: chrome://flags. This will open the experimental features on your browser.
2. In the ‘Search flags’ bar on the top, search for mirroring.
3. An option titled Allow all sites to initiate mirroring will appear on the screen. In the drop-down list on its right, change the setting from Default to Enabled.
4. You will then have to relaunch Google Chrome, and the Settings will be updated.
Method 2: Enable Cast Media Router Provider
With the experimental features tab still open, you can try enabling the caste media router provider. Although these features change automatically, they have the potential to fix Chromecast source not supported issue:
1. In the search bar, search for ‘Caste Media Router Provider.’
2. Similar to the mirroring feature, click on the drop-down list and enable the feature.
Method 3: Disable Ad Blocker and VPN extensions
There is a possibility that Adblockers and VPNs prevent your device from sharing its screen in order to protect your privacy. You can try disabling various extensions on your Google Chrome and check to see if it resolves the issue.
1. Click on the puzzle piece icon on the top right corner of your Chrome app.
2. Go to the bottom of the panel that appears and click on Manage extensions to open the list of all extensions on your device.
3. Here, you can disable any extension that you feel is interfering with your device, especially those that are ad blockers or VPN services.
4. Try connecting your device through Chromecast and see if the issue is solved.
Method 4: Clear the Cache Data of the App
If you are trying to stream through your Android device and are unable to do so, then there’s a chance that the issue lies with the app. By clearing the storage and the cached data of an app, you can get rid of potential bugs that might disrupt the connection process. Here’s how you can clear the cache data of apps to resolve the source not supported on Chromecast issue.
1. Open the Settings app and tap on Apps and notifications.
2. Tap on See all apps.
3. From the list, find and tap on the application you are unable to cast onto your TV.
4. Tap on ‘Storage and cache.’
5. Tap on Clear cache or Clear storage if you want to reset the app.
6. The issue should be resolved, and streaming should work properly.
Method 4: Check the Internet Connection & Wi-Fi Connectivity of both devices
Chromecasts require a fast internet connection to function properly. Make sure your Wi-Fi is fast enough to facilitate the functioning of Chromecast. Moreover, both your device and Chromecast must be connected to the same network for casting to work. Head to the settings of your smartphone or PC and ensure that the device is connected to the same Wi-Fi as your Chromecast. Once a proper connection is established, you should fix the ‘Chromecast source not supported’ issue.
Method 5: Reboot All Systems Involved
Rebooting your systems is the perfect way to get rid of minor bugs and errors. First, shut down and unplug your Television and your Chromecast. Then turn off the device you wish to connect. After all, devices have been switched off, wait for a few minutes and boot them up again. After the initial start-up sequence, try to cast your device through Chromecast and see if it works.
Method 6: Update Chromecast
A properly updated Google Chrome and Chromecast minimize most compatibility-related issues you may face. Open Google Chrome on your browser and tap on the three dots in the top right corner of the screen. If your software needs updates, they will be shown in this panel. Download and install them asap to deal with any issue.
Also, ensure that your Chromecast device is running on the latest firmware. You can do so by checking the Google Home application on your smartphone. Chromecast gets updated automatically, and there’s not much one can do about it. But if there is any lapse in updates, Google Home is the place to go to.
- How to Mirror Android Screen to your PC without Root
- Fix Cast to Device Not Working in Windows 10
- How to Enable Home Button in Google Chrome
- Fix Windows 10 Start Button Not Working
We hope this article was helpful and you were able to fix Chromecast source not supported error. However, if the speed remains unchanged despite all necessary steps, reach out to us through the comments section, and we might be of assistance.