Windows 10 comes with many features that are useful in making small things even convenient. One such example is casting to devices. Imagine you have a Windows 10 laptop, but say it has a limited screen size of 14 or 16 inches. Now if you want to watch a movie on the family television which is obviously bigger and the whole family can enjoy it, there is no need to connect HDMI cables or thumb drives to the television anymore. You can connect your Windows 10 laptop or desktop with a network connection to an external display on the same network seamlessly without cable clutter or other inconveniences.
Sometimes, there is a slight hiccup in such wireless connections, and the Windows 10 laptop refuses to cast to other devices. This can spoil the special occasions like family gatherings or LAN parties. Although this might be due to various reasons, the most common ones include issues in the external display firmware or network misconfigurations of the network being used.
Once you complete trying everything to make sure that the device, as well as the network, are behaving correctly, the only thing left to check is the internal settings in Windows 10 of the laptop or desktop in question. So, let’s try and learn more about the problems that might cause Cast to Device not working in Windows 10 and how to quickly fix it.
Fix Cast to Device Not Working in Windows 10
In this article, we will try to fix Cast to device feature not working issue with the step by step solutions listed below.
Method 1: Update Network Drivers
If the network adapter drivers are corrupted, it may cause the Windows 10 device not to recognize other devices on the network. This problem can be fixed by updating the network adapter drivers to their latest versions.
1. Open Device Manager. To do so, Right-Click on Start Menu and click on Device Manager.
2. Navigate to Network adapters and right-click on the network adapter that your network is connected to. Click on Update Driver.
3. In the dialog box that opens asking if you want to search automatically or look locally for the latest drivers, choose Search Automatically if you don’t have the most recent drivers downloaded.
4. The setup wizard will then take care of the installation, when prompted, provide the information required.
5. After finishing the installation, reboot your machine and try and see if you’re able to fix Cast to Device not working issue.
Method 2: Turn on Network Discovery
By default, in Windows 10, all networks are treated as private networks unless you specify otherwise while setting up. By default, Network discovery is turned off, and you will be unable to search for devices on the network, and your device will also be not visible on the network.
1. Press Windows Key + I to open Settings.
2. Under Settings click on Network & Internet.
3. Click on Network and Sharing Centre.
4. Now, click on Change advanced sharing settings option in the left pane.
5. Make sure that the option Turn on network discovery is the option selected, and close the open windows saving these settings.
6. Retry Cast to Device and see if you’re able to fix Cast to Device Not Working in Windows 10 issue.
Method 3: Check for Windows Update
The Cast to Device on some versions of the Windows 10 Operating System might be a known issue, and there are chances that Microsoft has already created a patch for the fix. If any updates are pending, then updating Windows to the latest version might be able to fix the cast to device not working on Windows 10 issue.
1.Press Windows Key + I to open Settings then click on Update & Security.
2.From the left-hand side, menu click on Windows Update.
3.Now click on the “Check for updates” button to check for any available updates.
4.If any updates are pending then click on Download & Install updates.
5.Once the updates are downloaded, install them and your Windows will become up-to-date.
Method 4: Check Streaming Options
After updates or driver reinstalls, there might be a possibility that some settings in the Windows Media Player have reverted to default and this might cause issues in streaming service due to lack of permissions. To fix it:
1. Press Windows Key + S to bring up the search. Type Windows Media Player in the search bar.
2. Click on the Windows Media Player from search result.
3. Now click on the Stream menu button in the top left of the window and click on more streaming options.
4. Make sure the network selected is correct, and it is the same you are using to cast the device. Make sure it is allowed to access all libraries for streaming.
4. Save the settings and see if you’re able to fix Cast to Device not working in Windows 10 problem.
This last technique rounds up our list of probable solutions that will help you in troubleshooting the issue Cast to Device not working in Windows 10. Even though the issue might be in the television or the external display firmware or the network configuration that is being used, trying these will help you eliminate the problems in Windows 10 settings that might be causing the problem.