In a time when everything revolves around a person’s phone, the most minimal disturbance can cause quite a havoc. An incomplete conversation can be annoying and once you are aware that your Android phone is not receiving text messages there is no way you can turn a blind eye to it. Are you curious why are you not receiving incoming text messages? Well, it is natural to be confused and curious to find answers. In this article, we will tell you how to fix Android phone not receiving text messages.
Table of Contents
Ways to Fix Android Phone Not Receiving Text Messages
Text messages can sometimes not work if you are not in a location with a stable network or internet connectivity. If you wish you fix Android phone not receiving text messages and start getting text messages again, read along. But before that, let us understand the reason exactly why are you not receiving text messages.
Why am I Not Receiving Incoming Text Messages?
As annoying as it sounds, there can be many reasons why your Android device is not receiving text messages. If you are curious to why am I not receiving incoming text messages, we have listed some of the possible reasons for your issue. Have a look at them.
- Network is not available in your location.
- Low or zero balance.
- The sender’s number might be blocked.
- Low storage space
- Not paid post-paid SIM amount.
- Flight mode is enabled on your device.
- Your device is in DND mode.
- Temporary glitches related to the network.
- SIM card is not placed correctly.
- Outdated software.
- Issues with network settings.
How to Fix Android Phone Not Receiving Text Messages
Here we have shown the troubleshooting methods to solve the said problem.
Method 1: Basic Troubleshooting Steps
Before going through the advanced methods, follow these basic steps first.
- Ensure that you are in an area where a cellular network connection can be received easily. Go to an open space or your terrace. In case you are already in a place where your phone can receive cellular network, then try the following the given method.
- This can be an issue if you do not have sufficient balance in your phone. You may face this issue so, do check the balance and any payment-related info by logging into the website of your network provider. After that, check the account details. In case the balance is zero or low, then get a recharge done. For those who use post-paid SIM, then pay the outstanding amount to resume the services.
Now that we are done with the basic methods, let us begin with some advanced methods.
Also Read: 6 Ways to Fix Android Screen Keeps Dimming
Method 2: Restart Android Device
Restarting your device can fix the temporary glitches that are causing the phone to not receive any text messages. Here, use the following steps to fix Android phone not receiving text messages:
1. First, press the Volume Down button and the Side button simultaneously.
2. Now, tap on Restart.
Method 3: Turn Off Flight Mode
One of the most common causes can be that your airplane mode is enabled on your Android phone. If that is the case then your phone will not connect to any cellular networks. So, until you do not disable your Airplane mode on your device, your issue might not be resolved. Here’s how to disable it.
Note: Since all smartphones don’t have the same Settings options, and they may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer hence, ensure the correct settings before changing any. These steps were performed on Samsung Galaxy S21 5G.
1. First, launch Settings on your smartphone.
2. Next, tap on Connections.
3. Now toggle off Flight mode.
Method 4: Unblock Sender
Oftentimes, when we block some contacts, any messages from these blocked numbers will automatically be added to the blocked section for messages. These block messages will not show in the notification if the option is disabled. To enable it, follow the given steps.
1. Open your messaging app.
2. Go to Message Settings.
3. Toggle on the Show blocked SMS option.
With these steps, you would now be able to see even the blocked messages notifications.
Method 5: Turn Off Do Not Disturb Mode
When DND or Do Not Disturb mode is enabled on your device, you will not get any popups or other interruptions on the phone screen. Instead, you will get a notification in the status bar. Want to learn how to disable DND on your Android phone? Read the following steps:
1. Tap on Settings.
2. Now, tap on Notifications.
3. After that, tap on Do not disturb.
4. Finally, toggle off Do not disturb.
Method 6: Update Messaging App
Oftentimes, as the apps get outdated, they start to show glitches. This is why we suggest you simply update the app. Updating the messaging app will help you solve the remaining issues.
Also Read: Fix Android Messaging App Not Working
Method 7: Re-enable SIM
You can fix temporary glitches related to the network by turning on and off your SIM. To fix Android phone not receiving text messages, you do not need to remove the SIM card. Here is how you do it.
1. First, open the App Drawer and tap on Settings.
2. Then tap on Connections.
3. Next, tap on SIM manager.
4. Toggle Off SIM on which you cannot receive phone calls.
5. Finally, toggle on that SIM.
If this method has not resolved the issue, we suggest trying the following method.
Method 8: Clear Storage Space
If your smartphone is filled with media and overflowing storage, your device will not receive new messages. Although, nowadays smartphones have quite a large amount of storage so usually this might not be an issue but there is no harm in trying it as well.
1. Go to Settings.
2. Navigate to Apps and tap on it.
3. Select Manage apps.
4. Scroll down to find your messaging app and select.
5. Tap on Clear data.
6. Select Clear cache.
Also Read: How to Stop Flash Messages
Method 9: Reinsert SIM Card
Turn off your Android device and remove the Sim Card. Make sure the sim slot is clear of any dirt or debris. Once done, now, insert the Sim Card again. This method might work for you but if it doesn’t then you can follow and apply other methods mentioned in this article that will tell you how to fix Android phone not working text messages.
Method 10: Update Software
You can update firmware on your device as it can fix the bug that is the reason for the phone not receiving calls Samsung. So, perform the following steps:
1. First, launch Settings.
2. Now, scroll down and tap on the Software update.
3. Next, tap on Download and install.
4. Here, tap on Download and wait until the update gets completed.
Also Read: How to Connect Samsung Phone to TV with HDMI
Method 11: Reset Network Settings
When you reset network settings on your smartphone, all the stored internet and networking-related data on the device will get removed. As a result, information related to VPN, Bluetooth, cellular, and others can get deleted. This is the reason why we have placed this method at the end. So, perform it only when all the ways to troubleshoot the phone not receiving calls Samsung have failed. We have provided the steps for the same below:
1. First, tap on the Settings icon.
2. After that, scroll down and tap on General management.
3. Again, scroll down, and tap on Reset.
4. Here, tap on the Reset network settings.
5. Finally, tap on the Reset settings.
- Fix Titanfall 2 Error 429 on Xbox
- How to Add List in Trello
- How to Recover Deleted Text Messages on Android
- 8 Ways to Fix Android Text Messages Stuck Downloading Error
We really hope that you learned about Why am I not receiving incoming text messages? and how to fix Android phone not receiving text messages. If you have any doubts feel free to reach out to us with your queries and suggestions on the comments section below. We would love to hear from you. Do let us know what you want to learn about next.