Waze is a useful app for obtaining real-time traffic updates and ensuring easy navigation. Its community-driven platform provides live traffic data and alternate routes as well. You may be curious if Android Auto is necessary for using this navigation software in your vehicle. In this guide, we’ll answer if you need Android Auto to use the innovative features of Waze; if yes, then how to add Waze to it.
Do You Need Android Auto to Use Waze?
No, Android Auto is not required to use Waze. You can use Waze as a stand-alone application on your smartphone or tablet to receive turn-by-turn directions, real-time traffic updates, and crowd-sourced information from other users.
However, integrating Waze with Android Auto offers a more convenient and safer driving experience as you will be able to:
- use voice commands to navigate,
- report hazards, and a
- add stops on your route,
- access other apps on your smartphone’s display.
Note: However, it is important to note that not all cars have compatibility, the connection can be unreliable, and some features may be limited compared to the standalone Waze app.
Do I Need Bluetooth for Waze?
No, Bluetooth is not needed for Waze. Your device’s cellular network or Wi-Fi connection can be used by Waze to connect to the internet and receive real-time traffic and navigational data.
You will need to connect your phone to your car’s system via Bluetooth or USB
- to stream the audio of the directions through your car’s speakers when using Waze on your car’s infotainment system via Android Auto or Apple CarPlay
- to make or receive calls while driving on hands-free calling.
How to Add Waze on Android Auto?
To add Waze to Android Auto, follow the upcoming steps:
Note: Ensure that our smartphone is running Android 6.0 or higher. Download the most recent version of the Android Auto app from the Google Play Store..
1. Use a USB cable or Bluetooth to connect your smartphone to the infotainment system in your car.
2. On your smartphone, launch the Android Auto app and follow the setup instructions.
Note: To access the contacts, messages, and other information on your phone, you might need to grant permission.
3. After everything is configured, select the hamburger menu icon from the top-left corner of the Android Auto app screen.
4. From the menu, select Settings and then scroll down to choose Navigation app.
5. From the list of available navigation apps, choose Waze.
6. To use Waze on Android Auto after choosing it, go back to the home screen and tap the navigation icon
Note: Always prioritize safe driving practices and avoid using your smartphone while driving a vehicle.
Also Read: How to Verify Waze Email Account
How Do I Switch from Google Maps to Waze on Android Auto?
Follow these steps to switch from Google Maps to Waze on Android Auto:
1. Ensure that your phone is Bluetooth or USB-connected to the infotainment system in your car.
2. To access the Android Auto home screen, press the home button on your car’s infotainment system.
3. Click on the Navigation icon, which resembles a map with a place marker.
4. Choose Waze from the navigation app drop-down menu.
5. Waze will then open on the infotainment screen in your car, allowing you to enter your destination and begin your trip.
6. Alternatively, you can use Android Auto voice commands to open Waze by saying Ok Google then Navigate to [your destination] with Waze.
Can I Display Waze on My Car Screen?
Yes, if your vehicle is compatible with Android Auto or Apple CarPlay, you can use Waze on your car’s screen by connecting your phone via USB or wirelessly. This integration offers benefits such as easier navigation reading, hands-free operation, and integration with the car’s speakers.
Is Waze Better Than Google Maps for Android Auto?
It depends. Waze and Google Maps have their advantages and disadvantages, making them suitable for different needs.
- Waze stands out for its social features, offering better routes to avoid traffic and potholes, along with real-time alerts on collisions, road closures, and police sightings.
- On the other hand, Google Maps provides a wider range of features, including in-depth maps, real-time traffic updates, and directions for various modes of transportation, while integrating with other Google products.
By learning whether you need Android Auto to use Waze through this guide, you may have learned that while not necessary, integrating Waze with Android Auto, it does offer a better experience. Leave your queries and suggestions in the comments section below, and explore our website for more informative guides.