Get remote support for your computer, or give remote support to someone else using Chrome Remote Desktop. It lets you connect computers for remote access and once connected to a host system, you can view the screen, share files, etc.
Have you ever have the need to access your PC remotely? Nowadays, we all carry smartphones using which can manage our work but sometimes we need to access our PC or laptops to carry out specific tasks or work. There could be several other reasons such as helping your friends for technical matters or getting access to a file. What about those situations? How will you manage to access the computer remotely? There are several applications to help you to get access to remote PCs. However, Chrome Remote Desktop is one of the most popular applications out there to help you connect with other computers easily. This tutorial will guide you on how to access your Computer remotely using Chrome Remote Desktop.
Is it secured?
It may sound risky to give access to your computer remotely to another person. However, it is not risky at all if you are doing it with verified third-party applications. Chrome Remote Desktop is a highly secured application that requires a PIN when connecting or getting access to another computer. This code expires after a few minutes if not utilized. Moreover, once the code has been utilized, the code will automatically expire when the current remote session ends. So now it’s clear that Chrome remote desktop connection is safe and secure, let’s proceed with this tutorial.
Access Your Computer Remotely Using Chrome Remote Desktop
Before you can use Chrome Remote Desktop, you will need to configure it properly on both the computers. The good part, this is only a one-time setup and from the next time, you can start using Chrome Remote Desktop without having to configure it.
Step 1: Install Chrome Remote Desktop on both the Computers
1. Open Chrome then navigate to remotedesktop.google.com/access in the address bar.
2. Next, under Set up remote access, click on the Download button at the bottom.
3. This will open the Chrome Remote Desktop extension window, click on “Add to Chrome“.
Note: You may need to sign in to your Google Account, if you do not have one then you will need to create a new Google account.
4. A dialog box asking you for confirmation to Add Chrome Remote Desktop will appear. Click on the Add extension button to confirm.
Chrome Remote Desktop Extension will be installed on your computer.
Step 2: Set up Chrome Remote Desktop on both Computers
1. Once the Extension is installed, navigate to Remote Access.
2. Click on “Turn On” under Set up remote access.
3. Under Remote Access, type the name you want to set for your Computer.
4. Now you need to set a 6-digit PIN which you will need to connect to this computer remotely. Type your new PIN then re-type to confirm and then click on the START button.
5. Next, you need to Grant permission to Chrome Remote Desktop. Once done, you will see that the remote access with the provided name is created for your device.
You need to follow both steps 1 & 2 on both the computer. Once the Extension is installed and the setup is completed on both the computers, proceed to the next step.
Recommended: Send Ctrl-Alt-Delete in a Remote Desktop Session
Step 3: Sharing Computer (Host) Access to another Computer
If you want someone to remotely manage your computer in order to provide technical help or for any other purpose, then you need to follow the below steps on the host computer (for which you want to give access to).
1. Switch to the Remote Support tab and click on GENERATE CODE button Under “Get Support”.
2. You will see a unique 12-digit code. Make sure to note down the above 12-digit code somewhere safe as you will need it later on.
3. Share the above code to the person you want to remotely access your computer.
Note: The 12-digit code generated above is only valid for 5 minutes, after which it will expire and a new code will be generated.
Step 4: Remotely Access Host Computer
Follow the below steps to access the host computer remotely:
1. On your other computer, open Chrome then navigate to remotedesktop.google.com/support, and press Enter.
2. Switch to the Remote Support tab then under “Give Support” type the “Access code” which you got in the above step and click on Connect.
3. Once the remote computer gives access, you will be able to access the computer remotely using the Chrome Remote Desktop extension.
Note: On the host computer, the user will see a dialog with your email address, they need to select Share in order to allow the remote connection and give access to their PC with you.
4. Once the connection is established, you will be able to access the host computer desktop on your PC.
5. On the right-hand side of the Chrome window, you will find an arrow, click on the Blue arrow. It will display session options using which you can adjust the screen size, clipboard synchronization, etc.
6. If you want to disconnect then click Disconnect at the top of the Chrome window to terminate the remote connection. You can also use the above session options to disconnect the connection.
7. The remote computer can also terminate the connection by clicking on the Stop Sharing button.
Hopefully, you will find the above-mentioned steps helpful to access your computer remotely using Chrome Remote Desktop. But if you still have any queries regarding this tutorial then feel free to ask them in the comment section.