When you talk short-form videos, you talk about TikTok. It’s the platform that introduced the concept to the whole world and made it viral. Besides scrolling TikToks, people use the DM feature frequently to chat with their close ones and share content. However, it becomes frustrating when you’re unable to send a message on TikTok, and you think to yourself – why can’t I? In this article, we’ll understand why sending messages on TikTok is not possible at the moment and the potential solutions to fix the same.
Why Can’t I Send a Message on TikTok? Possible Reasons and How to Fix Them
If you are sending a message to someone on TikTok and they have set their Direct Message privacy setting to No one then you won’t be able to message them. Here are the other possible reasons you’re unable to send messages on TikTok:
- Poor Internet connection
- Temporary glitch with the app or website
- Account is suspended for a temporary period
- Flagged or reported your content or message
To fix messages not sending issue try changing the Direct messages privacy setting of the user whom you want to text. Follow the steps below to do so.
1. Go to TikTok Settings and privacy menu.
2. Tap on the Privacy option.
3. Then, select the Direct messages setting.
4. Change Who can send you direct messages feature to Everyone.
How to Fix TikTok Messages Not Sending
Before trying out the methods, you can try the following to see if these can fix the issue:
- Message other users: The issue might arise when you try to send a message to just one or a few of your friends. Hence, you can send one to other users whom you know.
- Availability of the post: Sometimes, a post might’ve been deleted but you’re unaware of the same. In such cases, you simply cannot send the post as a message to someone. So make sure to confirm if the post has been deleted.
Note: Android phones don’t have the same Settings options, and they vary from manufacturer to manufacturer hence, ensure the correct settings before changing any. These steps are performed on Motorola Moto G22 with Android 12.
Method 1: Troubleshoot Internet Connectivity
As mentioned previously, a poor Internet connection can hinder the process of communication. Hence, checking the connection is the obvious action to take. Read out our guide to speed up the internet.
Method 2: Restart Phone
A simple restart is a potential action to fix the problem. Here’s how to restart your phone and the app in question too.
Note: Some smartphones especially those with older versions of Android might not have the option to restart. In those devices, you have to turn the device off, then turn it back on.
1. Press and hold the power button of your device.
2. In the menu that follows, tap on the Restart option.
The device will restart in a while.
Method 3: Force Restart TikTok
Restarting app can fix temporary glitch or bug in the app.
1. Tap and hold the TikTok app icon.
2. Tap on App info option.
3. Select FORCE STOP option.
4. Then, open the TikTok app.
Following these steps will restart the app.
Also Read: Why Did My TikTok Messages Disappear?
Method 4: Update TikTok
Older version of app causes unexpected glitch which is why can’t you send a message on TikTok. So, updating the app to the latest version could help to solve this problem. Here are the steps to update the TikTok app.
1. Open the Play Store app.
2. Tap the profile icon at the top right.
3. Go to Manage apps and device.
4. Under Updates available, tap See details.
Note: If an update for TikTok is available, you can see it there.
5. Tap the Update button next to TikTok.
The app will be updated in a few seconds.
Method 5: Verify Phone Number
An important point to consider if you’re unable to send messages is that you should have a verified phone number. You can do so with the following steps:
1. Open the TikTok app.
2. Tap on your Profile.
3. Tap Menu icon, and tap on settings and privacy.
4. Tap on Manage account and then select Phone Number.
5. Select your country or region.
6. Enter your mobile number.
7. Enter the code sent by TikTok.
Your number is now verified. Try sending a message, and see if the method worked.
Method 6: Change Privacy Settings
As you know know incorrect privacy setting is one of main reason why can’t you send a message on TikTok. So, you need to change it to start messaging. Having the wrong privacy settings could hinder your messaging experience by restricting the people whom you can send messages. Therefore, it’s important to check them and change to the right settings if required. Here’s how you can do so:
1. Go to your TikTok Profile.
2. Tap the three vertical lines at the top right.
3. Select the Settings and privacy.
4. Then, tap on Privacy
5. Tap on Direct messages option.
6. Select any of the following options except No one.
- Suggested friends
- Followers you follow back and people you sent messages to
Also Read: Fix TikTok Video Uploaded But Not Showing
Method 7: Reinstall TikTok
You can try reinstalling TikTok if you still can’t send a message on TikTok after updating the app. Improper installation or corrupted files might be interrupting your messaging experience on the app, and reinstalling can help curb the same.
1. Tap and hold the TikTok icon.
2. Go to App info.
3. Tap on Uninstall.
4. Then, launch the Play Store app.
5. Tap on search bar and search for tiktok.
6. Tap the Install option next to the search result.
Also Read: Can I Delete and Repost TikTok?
Method 8: Contact TikTok Support Team
If nothing seems to work and you’re left with no other option, reporting the issue to TikTok is the last resort. Here’s how to contact the Support Team through the feedback form:
1. Visit the TikTok feedback form page.
2. Enter all the necessary details in the form provided.
3. Confirm the conditions under Declaration section by checking the boxes.
4. Finally, click on Submit button.
Your issue will be addressed by the TikTok team, and you’ll get a resolution from them.
Can I Send a Video as a Message on TikTok DM?
Yes, TikTok allows its users to send TikTok videos, effects, hashtags, sounds, or text messages. However, the platform does not allow sending private videos. If someone posts a public video and makes it private later on, also then it won’t be possible for you to watch it.
If you’ve been thinking, why can’t I send a message on TikTok to yourself, we hope you got the answer. Feel free to drop your queries and suggestions in the comment section.