Are you afraid of missing out on posts and story updates from your favorite creators or friends on Instagram? Unfortunately, sometimes a user might encounter difficulties following others on the platform. In this article, we will discuss the reasons why you may be unable to follow people on Instagram and why it automatically unfollows them even if you want to add them to your list.
Why Can’t I Follow People on Instagram?
Following too many people on Instagram may make your feed look unorganized, cluttered, and messy. On the other hand, not being able to follow people and being unaware of the causes is frustrating and confusing. Let’s talk about why this happens.
- Faulty Internet connection– One common cause is a faulty internet connection. If your connection is unstable, you may have trouble loading your feed or following new people.
- Server downtime- Another possibility is server downtime, which can cause the app to behave erratically and prevent you from sending messages, uploading stories, posting pictures, or following others.
- Follow limit reached– Instagram also has a limit on the number of people you can follow, which is currently set at 7500. If you’ve reached this limit, you may find that the app automatically unfollows people when you try to follow someone new.
- Unauthentic activity– In some cases, Instagram may restrict your account if it detects unauthentic activity, such as spamming or using automation tools. This can result in a temporary ban on certain actions, such as liking posts or following others.
- You are blocked-If you’re unable to follow a specific account, it’s possible that the person has blocked you. You can confirm this by trying to follow other accounts and seeing if you encounter the same issue.
- You are using VPN– Using a VPN on your smartphone while browsing on Instagram can also make the app a little edgy. As stated earlier, the platform may flag your account for suspicious activity if it detects multiple IP addresses. In such cases as well, you won’t be able to follow people or perform any activity such activity on Instagram.
How Long Does Instagram Restrict You from Following?
Instagram frequently limits certain accounts from following other users on the platform if they appear suspicious. As a preventative measure, a temporary block may be implemented, which can last for up to 24 hours. Until the time persists, you neither can follow people nor would be able to send messages on Instagram. This is done to ensure the safety and security of the community.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Can someone you follow on Instagram make you unfollow?
Ans. Yes, people with a private Instagram account can remove you from their following.
Q2. Can I see who unfollowed me on Instagram?
Ans. Yes, there are different ways through which you can see who unfollowed you on Instagram.
Recommended: How to Get More Instagram Followers
We hope this article helped you in understanding the reasons why you can’t follow people on Instagram. Please share your valuable feedback in the comment section below.