We all know the embarrassment caused when we send someone a message that should not have been sent. The reason can be anything, grammatical mistake, some awkward typing error, or accidentally pressing the send button. Fortunately, WhatsApp introduced a feature of deleting the sent message for both sides, i.e., the sender and the receiver. But what about Facebook Messenger? Not many people know that Messenger too offers the feature to delete a message for both sides. We all know this feature as “Delete for Everyone”. It doesn’t matter if you are an Android or an iOS user. The Delete for Everyone feature is available on both. Now, you do not need to worry about all the regret and embarrassment, because we will save you. In this article, we are going to tell you how to Permanently Delete Facebook Messenger Messages from Both Sides.
- Permanently Delete a Facebook message from Messenger for both sides
- Alternative: Permanently delete a message from both sides on PC
- Why is there only a 10-minute window to delete messages?
- Can blocking someone Delete messages from both sides?
- Is it possible to report a deleted abusive message on Facebook?
Permanently Delete a Facebook message from Messenger for both sides
Just like WhatsApp’s Delete for Everyone feature, Facebook Messenger too offers its users the feature to delete messages for both sides, i.e., the “Remove for Everyone” feature. Initially, this feature was only available at some specific locations, but now it can be used almost anywhere around the globe. One thing to note here is – You can only delete a message from both sides within 10 minutes of sending the message. Once you have crossed the 10 minutes window, you can’t delete a message on Messenger.
Follow the steps given below to quickly deleted the message you sent by mistake for both sides.
1. First of all, launch the Messenger app from Facebook on your Android or iOS device.
2. Open the chat from which you want to delete the message for both sides.
3. Now, tap and hold the message which you want to delete. Now tap remove and you will see two options pop up on your screen.
4. Tap on ‘Unsend’ if you want to delete the selected message for both sides, else to delete the message from your end only, tap on the ‘Remove for You’ option.
5. Now, tap on Remove to confirm your decision. That’s it. Your message will be deleted for both sides.
Note: The participant(s) of the chat will know that you have deleted a message. Once you have deleted a message, it will be replaced by the “You unsent a message” card.
if this method didn’t work then try an alternative to Permanently Delete Facebook Messenger Messages from Both Sides.
Also Read: Fix Facebook Home Page Won’t Load Properly
Alternative: Permanently delete a message from both sides on PC
In case you want to delete a message from both sides and you are past the 10 minutes window, then you can still try steps in this method. We have a trick that might actually help you. Follow the given steps and give it a try.
Note: We strongly recommend not to use this method as this might create problems for your Facebook account and other participants of the chat. Also, do not choose options like harassment or bullying from the given options unless that is the case.
1. First, open Facebook and go to the chat from where you want to delete the message.
2. Now look at the right panel and click on ‘Something’s Wrong’ option.
3. You will now see a pop up that will ask if the conversation is spam or harassment, or anything else. You can mark the conversation as spam or inappropriate.
4. Now Deactivate your Facebook account and log in again after a few hours. See if the method worked.
Deactivating your account might exempt the other user from viewing your message too.
Why is there only a 10-minute window to delete messages?
As we have mentioned earlier in this article, Facebook only allows you to delete a message from both sides within 10 minutes of sending the message. You can’t delete the message after 10 minutes of sending it.
But why is there a limit of only 10 minutes? Facebook has decided on such a small window due to the rapid increase in the cases of cyberbullying. This small window of 10 minutes restrains the deletion of messages with the hope to exempt people from erasing some potential evidence.
Can blocking someone Delete messages from both sides?
This might come to your mind that blocking someone deletes messages and restrains people from viewing your messages. But unfortunately, this won’t delete already sent messages. When you block someone, they can view messages you have sent but can’t reply.
Is it possible to report a deleted abusive message on Facebook?
You can always report an abusive message on Facebook even if it is deleted. Facebook keeps a copy of deleted messages in its database. So, you can choose the “Harassment” or “Abusive” option from the Something’s Wrong button and send feedback stating the issue. Here is how you can do it –
1. First of all, go to the chat that you want to report. On the bottom right, look for the ‘Something’s Wrong’ button. Click on it.
2. A new window will pop up on your screen. Choose ‘Harassment’ or ‘abusive’ from the given options, or whichever you feel right.
3. Now click the Send Feedback button.
- 5 Ways to Delete Multiple Facebook Messages
- Fix Your Android Phone That Won’t Turn ON
- Fix Facebook Messenger Waiting for Network Error
Now that we have talked about deleting and reporting messages on the Facebook web app and Messenger, we hope you were able to permanently delete Facebook Messenger messages from both sides with all the steps mentioned above. You can now enhance your messaging experience on Facebook for good. If you have any queries or issues, do not forget to comment down below.
Just a reminder: If you send a message that you wish to delete from both sides, keep in mind the 10-minute window! Happy Messaging!