Amidst all the buzz and crowded squad of network virtualization services, ZeroTier is not just another player, but quite literally a game-changer. As it incorporates a Virtual Private Network (VPN) with a Software-Defined Wide Area Network (SD-WAN) and is developed as a zero-trust solution, users are often concerned about its safety and security. We understand the same and so, in today’s article, we will discuss what exactly is ZeroTier, what is it used for, and whether is it safe. Let’s get started!
What is ZeroTier and Is It Safe?
ZeroTier is a software-defined networking (SDN) platform that enables flexible network connections. It allows users to create virtual networks, just like traditional VPNs, and connect devices, regardless of their actual physical location. Basically, it functions as a virtual Ethernet switch that brings all connections under an extended unified local network.
It is often used where secure, private, and easy-to-configure networking is required, such as remote work, managing IoT devices, accessing resources on private networks, etc. We will discuss the features further but let’s first talk about its safety.
- ZeroTier is designed to be a zero-trust solution, which means the platform doesn’t automatically trust any entity within the network.
- Devices are authenticated before they join the network. Each device has a unique identity, which reduces the risk of unauthorized access.
- It employs 256-bit end-to-end encryption to secure data transmitted between devices across its network.
- ZeroTier networks are logically isolated from each other. Devices on one network cannot directly communicate with those on another network.
So, overall it can be said that Yes, ZeroTier is a safe-to-use platform.
Are there any Vulnerabilities with ZeroTier?
ZeroTier collects information such as public IP addresses and web-browsing patterns of its users. However, as said officially, this information is not sold or shared with third parties without consent.
Like any other software or networking solution, ZeroTier is not without its shortcomings. Even though they employ multiple security measures, the overall safety and security also depend on how it’s configured and managed.
Users and administrators should take needful precautions such as regularly updating the software, using strong authentication methods, and monitoring network traffic. If any one device connected to the network is compromised, there could be a risk to the entire network.
Features of ZeroTier
ZeroTier is indeed a useful tool for businesses and organizations, especially for those who operate remotely. Now there are a handful of features that it offers, such as:
- ZeroTier establishes peer-to-peer connections to ensure less network latency. This means that the quality of the network speed is considerably improved compared to normal networks.
- Its 256-bit-end-to-end network ensures strong encryption.
- It emulates bridging capabilities, Layer 2 Ethernet with multipath, which helps it create a local area network that is accessible worldwide
- Multi-cloud connectivity enables a mesh network that is combined by various cloud providers, particularly useful for IT and DevOps teams who operate in a hybrid working environment.
Pros & Cons of ZeroTier
Just like other software and services, there are a few pros and cons of ZeroTier that need to be discussed for you to make a clear choice.
Pros of ZeroTier
- Supports multiple OS including Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, Android, and more
- Immense scalability with networks and constant speed across all devices
- Easy to use
- Enables developers to embed high-performance networking into their applications.
Cons of ZeroTier
- Does not support routing the internet traffic from the VPN.
- Relies on its central servers to coordinate other PCs through the network which might be a concern for some
Also Read: How to Install ZeroTier on Windows
Is ZeroTier Free? Plans and Pricing
Yes, ZeroTier offers a Basic plan that is free for all users. However, for more features, you can choose its Professional plan, priced at $10/month/admin. Apart from it, there are also custom plans for Business, Enterprise, and Service Providers. For more details, you can refer to the official ZeroTier Pricing page.
Recommended: ZeroTier vs. Tailscale: Which VPN is Better?
ZeroTier is generally considered a secure choice for creating private, encrypted networks, and many organizations and individuals use it for this purpose. We hope our guide on Is ZeroTier Safe was helpful. If you have any queries or suggestions for us, do let us know in the comments box below. Stay tuned to TechCult for more such reviews.