Kik is one of the most popularly known apps among teenagers in the United States and Europe. According to a recent study, more than 15 million monthly users are there. One of the reasons for the popularity of the app is that it allows users to find and meet new people. Another reason why this app is popular is because of the controversy that has come along regarding the safety of the users since the app allows you to get connected to strangers. Safety has become a major concern as most of the users of the app are teenagers and young adults so the question arises is kik safe. This article is going to be all about learning what is Kik live and whether is Kik a dating app.
Table of Contents
Is Kik Safe and Private?
Kik is actually a quite safe platform and its privacy features have helped it become popular with younger users, but they have also made it alluring to those who want to abuse the service. With features like age restrictions and opt-ins for talking to strangers, the company has made an effort to address these problems.
What is Kik?
Kik is one of the many instant messaging and social media apps that you can use to communicate with friends and family via direct and group chats. The app is available for free to download on Google Play store and AppStore. You can also use it on your Kindle Fire Tablets. It easily allows you to connect with your near and dear ones by searching their usernames, using the contact list, and by scanning the Kik QR code. You can also use the app to share media files like images, stickers, emojis, etc. It also allows you have live chat with your contacts just like WhatsApp and Skype.
What is Kik Used for?
With Kik, you can connect with people who have similar interests. By searching with related hashtags you can approach people with similar interests. The best part about Kik is that you can only register with your name and email ID. Let’s see its uses:
- Connecting and chatting with friends and family
- Connect with new people and getting to know them
- Connect to different brands using their prompted chats
- Send multimedia files like images, videos, GIFs, audio, and more
- Create groups and add up to 49 more users
Kik makes your presence on the platform exclusive with just your username. With a username the app allows you to share all sorts of content like other social media apps. There is also a feature enabling that will allow you to find your contacts on Kik. Moving on let’s understand what is Kik live.
What is Kik Live?
Kik live is a feature of the Kik app that allows users to create live streams and chat with their viewers during the live. Kik live enables you to create a reach to a broader audience. All you need to do is tap on the Go Live option on the Kik app and you will be live. The app does not require you to add users to your live stream. Anyone willing to watch your stream live can join the live. Therefore, you also get to connect with new people via the live session. By using Kik live you can get gifts and rewards from the viewers that you can get exchanged for real money. Using Kik live also enhances your followers on the app and helps you create a better business profile.
Also Read: Can you get tracked on Kik?
What are Hidden Dangers of Kik?
Despite the safety assurances given by the app in its guidelines, there are still some hidden dangers that can be associated with the app as it is mostly used by young adults and teenagers. We have listed down the hidden dangers of Kik app:
- As soon as you install the app, there are chances that you might receive texts from strangers who have wrong intentions.
- The feature that allows you to connect with new people based on similar interests may put you at risk as you might end up connecting with the wrong people.
- Another factor that can be considered risky is the video chats that are recorded and circulated without your knowledge.
- The app has no such feature as parental control.
- The does not require a phone number for logging in, therefore there are chances that you might be connecting with users who have created fake profiles.
- There are complaints of predator activity being out of control.
- The users, who are teenagers, can fall prey to strangers who are in search of intimate details.
- Others using harmful links associated with pornbots and spambots will land you on unsuitable websites.
Therefore, you need to be careful about these hidden dangers of the Kik app. If you are a parent reading this article you can monitor the activity of your child by using third-party parental control apps. Some of these apps are FamiSafe, Bark, Highster, and many more. Next, we will see whether is Kik a dating app.
Is Kik a Dating App?
No, as we mentioned earlier Kik is an instant messaging and social media app and not a dating app. However, you can find tools on the app named Match and Chat, and Matcher that you can use to find a date. Match and Chat is a third-party website that requires you to link your Kik profile with their website. You can then find someone whom you would like to date by browsing their list of users. It works more like Tinder, you can swipe left and right to reject and select someone. Match also functions in the same way, browsing and finding you the profiles according to your interests. You can get connected to whomever you like. Now you will read about how to Kik sign up without app.
Also Read: Is WinZip safe?
Kik Sign Up Without App
If you are wondering how you can sign up Kik without app, we have got you answers. Although you can use Kik without signing up the app, but can get away with the installation procedure but this time it will be on your desktop. Kik does not have a web interface like other instant messaging apps. Therefore, using it without an app requires it to be installed. You can install the app on an Android emulator and run the app from there. To get started with this process, you will have to install the Kik app on your phone to register. Once the registration is over you can install a copy on your emulator and register it. Later you can delete it from your phone if not required. There are various Android emulators like Bluestacks, Android Studio, Bliss OS, and many more. You can download and install any of these to run Sign up Kik without using the app.
Is Kik Safe for Kids?
Yes, it is only safe for kids when they are monitored by their parents or any elder person around. We have listed a few points explaining why kids can use Kik only under the supervision of their parents.
- The app claims to be for users above 17 years of age, it provides no age verification option. Therefore, it becomes easy for anyone to create a profile with misleading information.
- Kik app also states that it does not allow any sexual content on the app, but there is no active way to screen offensive content. However, they delete such unwanted content only when the users report it.
- As mentioned above, there have been complaints regarding child predators.
How to Stay Safe on Kik?
Now that you know about the hidden dangers of the Kik app, you can keep a note of the below-listed points to stay safe while using the app.
- Create a strong password for your account using upper-case and lower-case letters, numbers, and special characters.
- Do not share your password with anyone.
- Make sure you do not share your personal details like address, phone number, email ID, etc. with strangers.
- Avoid chatting with people who make you feel uncomfortable.
- You can always block someone with whom you will not want to connect again.
- If at all you get in any sort of trouble seek help from your parents or any elders.
Also Read: How to find the best Kik chat rooms to join?
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q1. Does Kik keeps me anonymous?
Ans. Yes, Kik keeps you anonymous as there is no need to use your real name or email ID to sign up. Neither it asks you to sign up via Gmail or Facebook account nor it asks you to import your contacts to find your friends and family. Therefore, you can be anonymous unless you want to reveal your identity by using your real name as a username and putting up a display picture.
Q2. Can someone trace me on Kik?
Ans. Yes, you must be aware that the app asks for permission to use the device location during the installation process. Therefore, if you have the app installed on your phone anyone can trace you using the device location.
- Who is Better Siri or Alexa?
- 10 Ways to Fix Screen Record Failed to Save Due to 5823 on iPhone
- How to Recover Kik Account
- How to Track an Instagram Account Location
This article was all about the Kik app. We hope that this guide was helpful and you were able to learn about is Kik safe and is Kik a dating app. Let us know if this article helped you in any way. If you have any queries or suggestions, feel free to drop them in the comments section below.